Mahayana and War

General forum on the teachings of all schools of Mahayana and Vajrayana Buddhism. Topics specific to one school are best posted in the appropriate sub-forum.
MiphamFan

Re: Mahayana and War

Post by MiphamFan »

Why did Mahayana and Vajrayana masters of the past such as the Great Fifth and Amoghavajra use war magic though?
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

marting wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2018 10:22 pm Say you think the United States has been the most benevolent actor on the world stage out of all the contenders and you'll be looked at as nuts these days.
I happen to agree with you, which is why the Trump Presidency is such a shame. He has disowned the economic and political stability the US afforded the world (despite a sometimes checkered foreign policy) and has actively aided and abetted the forces of illiberalism to rise to the forefront. But part of that stability was assured because the Soviets and the Chinese had closed economies, and the US dominated the world in trade. With opening of China and the downfall of the Soviet Union, globalization has had the predictable effect of transitioning manufacturing jobs to cheaper labor markets without providing many Americans with jobs in their place. But the ridiculous rhetoric of the Trump administration has been neatly refuted by Dave Chapelle, who pointed out we don't want jobs "to come back" from China because we don't want $9,000 Iphones and $1000 NIkes.

Global trade liberalization is a fact, and we can do it well or poorly, but we cannot sit out the game.
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

MiphamFan wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2018 10:29 pm Why did Mahayana and Vajrayana masters of the past such as the Great Fifth and Amoghavajra use war magic though?
They used it as a means of coping with their own afflictions, and the afflictions of their patrons.
MiphamFan

Post by MiphamFan »

Malcolm wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2018 10:35 pm
MiphamFan wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2018 10:29 pm Why did Mahayana and Vajrayana masters of the past such as the Great Fifth and Amoghavajra use war magic though?
They used it as a means of coping with their own afflictions, and the afflictions of their patrons.
OK, let's put aside the Great Fifth but what about more peaceful types of war magic just for defence as Amoghavajra used?

He didn't target the invading armies specifically, just did a rite to bring peace AFAIK. The same rite has still been done in Japan.
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

MiphamFan wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2018 10:47 pm
Malcolm wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2018 10:35 pm
OK, let's put aside the Great Fifth but what about more peaceful types of war magic just for defence as Amoghavajra used?

He didn't target the invading armies specifically, just did a rite to bring peace AFAIK. The same rite has still been done in Japan.

There are four activities; pacification is the first. We use these four all the time; the target is still the same -- why? It is because of the affliction in our own minds that sentient beings appear to us as friends and enemies.
MiphamFan

Post by MiphamFan »

I'm not advocating for war, but it seems like the Mahayana relationship with violence is a bit more complex than the complete condemnation of it in the Pali Canon. There is that famous story of the captain and the potential mass murderer, and plenty of episodes of Mahayana/Vajrayana masters seeming to endorse violent force in some contexts: https://info-buddhism.com/Orientalism_V ... rling.html
marting

Post by marting »

MiphamFan wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2018 11:01 pm I'm not advocating for war, but it seems like the Mahayana relationship with violence is a bit more complex than the complete condemnation of it in the Pali Canon. There is that famous story of the captain and the potential mass murderer, and plenty of episodes of Mahayana/Vajrayana masters seeming to endorse violent force in some contexts: https://info-buddhism.com/Orientalism_V ... rling.html
I think a simpler explanation is that they were dealing with the real world around them.
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

marting wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2018 11:03 pm
MiphamFan wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2018 11:01 pm I'm not advocating for war, but it seems like the Mahayana relationship with violence is a bit more complex than the complete condemnation of it in the Pali Canon. There is that famous story of the captain and the potential mass murderer, and plenty of episodes of Mahayana/Vajrayana masters seeming to endorse violent force in some contexts: https://info-buddhism.com/Orientalism_V ... rling.html
I think a simpler explanation is that they were dealing with the real world around them.
"Dealing with the real world around them" is not karma hall pass.
marting

Post by marting »

Malcolm wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2018 12:14 am
Stuff happens and they need to deal with it.
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

marting wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2018 12:36 am
Malcolm wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2018 12:14 am

Stuff happens and they need to deal with it.
Rulers all go to hell. It’s the price they all pay for power in this life.
Javierfv1212

Post by Javierfv1212 »

Malcolm wrote: It depends on your understanding the real situation of samsara. If you don't understand— you join in, pick sides, and go to three lower realms. This is called having a one-lifetime view.
I'd like to add that its not as black and white as this makes it sound. That is, there are many things a bodhisattva can do during a war besides sit there that does not break the precepts or the injuction to right livelihood.

In fact, any role in a military, government agency or NGO which helps people during a war is admissible for a bodhisattva as long as it does not involve killing, convincing others to kill or lying (for example propaganda and so on) and dealing with weapons (weapons manufacture, research, munitions management, etc).

IMO any of the following roles in the armed forces would be admissible as long as one keeps the precepts: field medic, doctor, cook, chaplain, therapist, disaster relief, etc.

There are probably several roles which are pretty grey area, like transportation (where in some cases you might have to transport weapons and munitions) which I would steer clear from.

And of course one can work for NGOs providing relief and so on.

Even if one is somehow put in a combat role due to circumstances outside of one's control (this is not as rare historically as one might imagine, forced conscription and so on), one could still keep the precepts, just aim and shoot over the heads of the enemy with no intention to harm. Its still a really difficult position to be in of course. Hopefully things don't get that bad in my lifetime that I am forced into a position like this, but it has happened historically (Germany and Soviet Union during WW2 is one example).

Due to these possibilities, bodhisattvas in states which have conscription laws should research the status of Conscientious objectors in their countries and understand how the law works, should the need arise to claim such status.
It is quite impossible to find the Buddha anywhere other than in one's own mind.
A person who is ignorant of this may seek externally,
but how is it possible to find oneself through seeking anywhere other than in oneself?
Someone who seeks their own nature externally is like a fool who, giving a performance in the middle of a crowd, forgets who he is and then seeks everywhere else to find himself.
— Padmasambhava

Visit my site: https://sites.google.com/view/abhayajana/
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

You did not understand my statement. Read it again.
Javierfv1212 wrote: Fri May 11, 2018 4:00 pm
Malcolm wrote: It depends on your understanding the real situation of samsara. If you don't understand— you join in, pick sides, and go to three lower realms. This is called having a one-lifetime view.
I'd like to add that its not as black and white as this makes it sound. That is, there are many things a bodhisattva can do during a war besides sit there that does not break the precepts or the injuction to right livelihood.

In fact, any role in a military, government agency or NGO which helps people during a war is admissible for a bodhisattva as long as it does not involve killing, convincing others to kill or lying (for example propaganda and so on) and dealing with weapons (weapons manufacture, research, munitions management, etc).

IMO any of the following roles in the armed forces would be admissible as long as one keeps the precepts: field medic, doctor, cook, chaplain, therapist, disaster relief, etc.

There are probably several roles which are pretty grey area, like transportation (where in some cases you might have to transport weapons and munitions) which I would steer clear from.

And of course one can work for NGOs providing relief and so on.

Even if one is somehow put in a combat role due to circumstances outside of one's control (this is not as rare historically as one might imagine, forced conscription and so on), one could still keep the precepts, just aim and shoot over the heads of the enemy with no intention to harm. Its still a really difficult position to be in of course. Hopefully things don't get that bad in my lifetime that I am forced into a position like this, but it has happened historically (Germany and Soviet Union during WW2 is one example).

Due to these possibilities, bodhisattvas in states which have conscription laws should research the status of Conscientious objectors in their countries and understand how the law works, should the need arise to claim such status.
Javierfv1212

Post by Javierfv1212 »

Ultimately you are correct of course, but this does not invalidate what I said, these options are open for Buddhists in wartime to help beings on a relative level.
It is quite impossible to find the Buddha anywhere other than in one's own mind.
but how is it possible to find oneself through seeking anywhere other than in oneself?
Someone who seeks their own nature externally is like a fool who, giving a performance in the middle of a crowd, forgets who he is and then seeks everywhere else to find himself.
— Padmasambhava

Grigoris
Former staff member

Post by Grigoris »

Malcolm wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2018 10:50 pmIt is because of the affliction in our own minds that sentient beings appear to us as friends and enemies.
:twothumbsup:
"My religion is not deceiving myself."
Jetsun Milarepa 1052-1135 CE

"Butchers, prostitutes, those guilty of the five most heinous crimes, outcasts, the underprivileged: all are utterly the substance of existence and nothing other than total bliss."
The Supreme Source - The Kunjed Gyalpo
The Fundamental Tantra of Dzogchen Semde
Grigoris
Former staff member

Post by Grigoris »

Javierfv1212 wrote: Fri May 11, 2018 4:00 pmjust aim and shoot over the heads of the enemy with no intention to harm.
I have a patient (he was conscripted) that did this, but when his officer found out, he was forced to desert. They captured him, jailed him, tortured him and raped him. Now I have to help glue all the pieces back together.
"My religion is not deceiving myself."
Jetsun Milarepa 1052-1135 CE

"Butchers, prostitutes, those guilty of the five most heinous crimes, outcasts, the underprivileged: all are utterly the substance of existence and nothing other than total bliss."
The Supreme Source - The Kunjed Gyalpo
The Fundamental Tantra of Dzogchen Semde
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Javierfv1212 wrote: Fri May 11, 2018 5:32 pm Ultimately you are correct of course, but this does not invalidate what I said, these options are open for Buddhists in wartime to help beings on a relative level.
You still did not understand. Picking sides is what causes one to go to lower realms.
Virgo

Post by Virgo »

Malcolm wrote: Fri May 11, 2018 8:38 pm
Javierfv1212 wrote: Fri May 11, 2018 5:32 pm Ultimately you are correct of course, but this does not invalidate what I said, these options are open for Buddhists in wartime to help beings on a relative level.
You still did not understand. Picking sides is what causes one to go to lower realms.
That's the main point. Which karma that you do whether you are a medic or an infantryman, that is secondary. Though of course being a medic or something like that would be better, nevertheless your actions are supporting the war.

Kevin...
Javierfv1212

Post by Javierfv1212 »

What are you basing this on, if I may ask?

Also, in many cases, you don't "pick sides", a war comes to your part of the world and you just have to respond, in many cases, its impossible for someone not to be already identified with a certain ethnic or national group by merely being born in it, speaking a language, etc. If one can do good by being a medic, providing relief for others etc in a military organization, then there is nothing wrong with this.

If one keeps a mind of bodhicitta towards all beings, it doesn't matter what "side" one happens to be on really.
— Padmasambhava

Javierfv1212

Post by Javierfv1212 »

Virgo wrote: Fri May 11, 2018 9:08 pm
nevertheless your actions are supporting the war.
So is paying your taxes
— Padmasambhava

Virgo

Post by Virgo »

Javierfv1212 wrote: Fri May 11, 2018 9:31 pm
Virgo wrote: Fri May 11, 2018 9:08 pm

nevertheless your actions are supporting the war.
So is paying your taxes
Only if you are a Republican.

Kevin...

Return to “Mahāyāna Buddhism”