Mahayana and War

General forum on the teachings of all schools of Mahayana and Vajrayana Buddhism. Topics specific to one school are best posted in the appropriate sub-forum.
Virgo

Re: Mahayana and War

Post by Virgo »

MiphamFan wrote: Sat May 12, 2018 12:46 am What if you think a historical war was a necessary evil to prevent a greater one, such as supporting the WW2 allies?
The situation of the samsara is very dire. This is why we have a possibility of escape via penetrating suffering. We also have the possibility of Full Buddhahood as well.

Kevin...
Fortyeightvows

Post by Fortyeightvows »

Malcolm wrote: Sat May 12, 2018 12:54 amSN 42.3
!
Grigoris
Former staff member

Post by Grigoris »

Javierfv1212 wrote: Fri May 11, 2018 9:30 pmIf one keeps a mind of bodhicitta towards all beings, it doesn't matter what "side" one happens to be on really.
Bodhicitta does not (cannot) grow from the barrel of a gun.

Your thinking reminds me of Krishna's teaching of karma-yoga (on the battle field, no less) to Arjuna. But this is Buddhism, it is not ISCKON.
"My religion is not deceiving myself."
Jetsun Milarepa 1052-1135 CE

"Butchers, prostitutes, those guilty of the five most heinous crimes, outcasts, the underprivileged: all are utterly the substance of existence and nothing other than total bliss."
The Supreme Source - The Kunjed Gyalpo
The Fundamental Tantra of Dzogchen Semde
Grigoris
Former staff member

Post by Grigoris »

Virgo wrote: Fri May 11, 2018 10:46 pmNow if you voted for a Republican, then you can claim that some of your money is the money that went to war. If you voted as a Democrat you can claim that your money was used to support social welfare.
Man, are you deluded or what? Have you forgotten that the war in Syria was started during Obama's reign? Obama has killed WAY MORE Syrians than Trump has (or will, given how quickly he is heading towards impeachment).

"Butchers, prostitutes, those guilty of the five most heinous crimes, outcasts, the underprivileged: all are utterly the substance of existence and nothing other than total bliss."
Fortyeightvows

Post by Fortyeightvows »

Grigoris wrote: Sat May 12, 2018 9:36 amBodhicitta does not (cannot) grow from the barrel of a gun.
:rolling:
Does greg ever get his own irony?
Grigoris
Former staff member

Post by Grigoris »

Fortyeightvows wrote: Sat May 12, 2018 9:44 am
Grigoris wrote: Sat May 12, 2018 9:36 amBodhicitta does not (cannot) grow from the barrel of a gun.
:rolling:
Does greg ever get his own irony?
Sigh... It seems it is my karma to be considered a drooling idiot...

Fortyeightvows

Post by Fortyeightvows »

Well, on the internet is different.
Not in real life though, right?
Virgo

Post by Virgo »

Grigoris wrote: Sat May 12, 2018 9:40 am
Virgo wrote: Fri May 11, 2018 10:46 pmNow if you voted for a Republican, then you can claim that some of your money is the money that went to war. If you voted as a Democrat you can claim that your money was used to support social welfare.
Man, are you deluded or what? Have you forgotten that the war in Syria was started during Obama's reign? Obama has killed WAY MORE Syrians than Trump has (or will, given how quickly he is heading towards impeachment).
Obama surprised a lot of people. Besides, it was a gross example to make the point.

Kevin...

Return to “Mahāyāna Buddhism”