Awakening kundalini?

General forum on the teachings of all schools of Mahayana and Vajrayana Buddhism. Topics specific to one school are best posted in the appropriate sub-forum.
明安 Myoan
Former staff member

Re: Awakening kundalini?

Post by 明安 Myoan »

MatthewAngby wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2018 4:36 pm
Norwegian wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2018 4:08 pm
MatthewAngby wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2018 3:56 pm Prolly got a bad rep here but I really need to ask this question. I was visiting a man who is physicquie and he tells me I should attain kundalini ( which I have found a center for it ). Well , it is a Hindu center that teaches it so I’m not sure if it is ok or not. I read and saw that kundalini can help me to have better concentration and achieve anything my mind wants - which is good for my dharma pratice because I was advised to pratice meditation on focusing. So should I go and learn how to awaken kudalini?
You should make up your mind what it is that you actually want. Do you want to practice Buddhism or not?

If you do, find a qualified Buddhist teacher whom you follow to the best of your abilities (i.e., practice the teachings you receive). If you want to practice Hinduism of whatever kind, then you find a qualified teacher of such a tradition. But don't mix things, that is doomed to fail.

At any rate, if you want to improve your concentration, then why not practice mindfulness? Not cool enough?
I tend to get headaches if I try mindfulness sometimes.. so I was thinking of another alternative
Mindfulness practice of any kind shouldn't give you headaches. What exactly are you trying to do when you get a headache?
Namu Amida Butsu
SunWuKong

Post by SunWuKong »

MatthewAngby wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2018 4:39 pm
SunWuKong wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2018 4:31 pm Kundalini is an inquenchable Fire, my advice is get enlightenment first then if you still want to awaken powers, etc. plus it’s not exactly a safe thing to do. It has symptoms identical with serotonin poisoning. Google that while you look up this topic. Anyway why bother, you can open Dharma Eye and Thousand Petal Lotus without any Hindu instruction. Check it out.
Aft enlightenment I tot you wouldn’t desire for these powers anymore ? Anyways after enlightenment , don’t u get all these powers automatically?
No, and no. You may still desire whatever is there that furthers the quest. It depends on the person, maybe. And nothing is automatic.

Headaches? From breathing? Sounds to me like too much concentration. Try to go easy. Lightly, gently, point attention to the breath. When you catch your mind wandering, don't inflict whiplash on it. Just gently note "oh, yeah" and lightly shift awareness back to the breath. It's not totally effortless, but it's not really using effort either
"We are magical animals that roam" ~ Roam
MatthewAngby

Post by MatthewAngby »

Mantrik wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2018 8:34 pm
Simon E. wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2018 8:15 pm :lol: Tell him Y.
At the same age I wish I had known then what I know now, but even if I had I would have taken no notice at all of any advice about what to do. It's really healthy. :)

Just to turn the tables, at that your age, Matthew, I was exploring the Golden Dawn, OTO, Hinduism (as it was the tail end of the hippy era), Welsh mysticism and horror fiction such as Arthur Machen and William Hope Hodgson. So I'm no stranger to exploring the occult, religions etc. in my youth. I just wish I'd gone for more depth and less breadth.

I sense a thread coming on! lol :)
The force is my ally...and a powerful ally it is - Yoda
MatthewAngby

Post by MatthewAngby »

At the same age I wish I had known then what I know now, but even if I had I would have taken no notice at all of any advice about what to do. It's really healthy. :)

Just to turn the tables, at that your age, Matthew, I was exploring the Golden Dawn, OTO, Hinduism (as it was the tail end of the hippy era), Welsh mysticism and horror fiction such as Arthur Machen and William Hope Hodgson. So I'm no stranger to exploring the occult, religions etc. in my youth. I just wish I'd gone for more depth and less breadth.

May I ask about the Buddhist yogis? Do they pratice kudalini? I was interested in the Buddhist yogis haha ( not really into Hinduism or other occult ). I just found Milarepa to be very inspirational.
Motova

Post by Motova »

MatthewAngby wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2018 3:10 am

May I ask about the Buddhist yogis? Do they pratice kudalini? I was interested in the Buddhist yogis haha ( not really into Hinduism or other occult ). I just found Milarepa to be very inspirational.

MiphamFan wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2018 4:07 pm Kundalini in new age Hindu centres is mostly hippie bullshit to scam you. The equivalent in Tibetan Buddhism tummo, but you need proper instructions for that.

Anyway you don't need all this stuff to concentrate on your school work, trust me, I wasted a lot of time in my youth on all kinds of self-help bullshit. If you want to improve your meditation, follow a teacher's structions and keep practising.
:smile:
To become a rain man one must master the ten virtues and sciences.
liuzg150181

Post by liuzg150181 »

I hope you are inspired by his regret,confession and purification of his past negative deeds,and not due to yogic power.
Motova

Post by Motova »

liuzg150181 wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2018 3:33 am

I hope you are inspired by his regret,confession and purification of his past negative deeds,and not due to yogic power.
At least he has interest and is inspired, that is very positive. :thumbsup:
MatthewAngby

Post by MatthewAngby »

Well yes... I am inspired by his powers 😬😬 ( more specifically the practices yogis do though haha ). After getting told to do mediation , I unexpectedly liked it which got me really inclined to what practices the yogis do haha.
liuzg150181

Post by liuzg150181 »

Congrats, you have been infected by "Chuunibyou Syndrome" :
[media] [/media]
MatthewAngby wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2018 5:06 am

Well yes... I am inspired by his powers 😬😬 ( more specifically the practices yogis do though haha ). After getting told to do mediation , I unexpectedly liked it which got me really inclined to what practices the yogis do haha.
MatthewAngby

Post by MatthewAngby »

liuzg150181 wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2018 6:41 am Congrats, you have been infected by "Chuunibyou Syndrome" :
[media] [/media]
MatthewAngby wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2018 5:06 am
I don’t see why being inspired by his powers lead me to this syndrome ?
Marc

Post by Marc »

MatthewAngby wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2018 4:38 pm How come I get headeaches aft I focus on breath? How do u be aware of breathing?
You are most probably just trying to hard...
Simon E.

Post by Simon E. »

Matthew...instead of getting contradictory answers on an internet forum from people whose knowledge base might be lacking...Why not do as many have recommended and find an authentic teacher in an authentic lineage and put your questions to her? Or him?
“You don’t know it. You just know about it. That is not the same thing.”

Chogyam Trungpa Rinpoche to me.
MatthewAngby

Post by MatthewAngby »

Simon E. wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2018 11:11 am Matthew...instead of getting contradictory answers on an internet forum from people whose knowledge base might be lacking...Why not do as many have recommended and find an authentic teacher in an authentic lineage and put your questions to her? Or him?
Yep I will now. I just thought it’ll be fun to put on forum haha 😐
Motova

Post by Motova »

You can probably find all the techniques from Hinayana, Mahayana, and Vajrayana on Amazon.

You can probably develop all the common siddhis as well from books on Amazon.

But to recognize emptiness you need Right View, and to recognize the nature of the mind you need a Guru. To lead you and others to Buddha you need to go to the Dharma for Right View and the Sangha for a qualified Guru.
MatthewAngby

Post by MatthewAngby »

Motova wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2018 6:29 pm You can probably find all the techniques from Hinayana, Mahayana, and Vajrayana on Amazon.

But to recognize emptiness you need Right View, and to recognize the nature of the mind you need a Guru. To lead you and others to Buddha you need to go to the Dharma for Right View and the Sangha for a qualified Guru.
Ok will do. Thanks a lot!
SunWuKong

Post by SunWuKong »

Milarepa was a sorcerer who used his powers to murder his own family. He must have been the most unhappy person on earth. Then he found a Guru, but his guru rejected him. He persisted and eventually became the Milarepa we know and love today. It says a lot about the power of redemption offered through the Buddhist tradition
MatthewAngby wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2018 4:23 am [quote=Motova post_id=434902 time=<a href="tel:1518110943">1518110943</a> user_id=2749]
You can probably find all the techniques from Hinayana, Mahayana, and Vajrayana on Amazon.

Ok will do. Thanks a lot!
[/quote]
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

SunWuKong wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2018 3:32 pm Milarepa was a sorcerer who used his powers to murder his own family. He must have been the most unhappy person on earth. Then he found a Guru, but his guru rejected him. He persisted and eventually became the Milarepa we know and love today. It says a lot about the power of redemption offered through the Buddhist tradition
Milarepa never murdered anyone in his own family. He was never rejected by his guru. Virtually everything Tsang Nyon Heruka has to say about Milarepa's life is completely false Apart from the songs TNH collected, there is very little truth in his account of Milarepa.
Könchok Thrinley
Former staff member

Post by Könchok Thrinley »

Malcolm wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2018 8:15 pm
SunWuKong wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2018 3:32 pm Milarepa was a sorcerer who used his powers to murder his own family. He must have been the most unhappy person on earth. Then he found a Guru, but his guru rejected him. He persisted and eventually became the Milarepa we know and love today. It says a lot about the power of redemption offered through the Buddhist tradition
Milarepa never murdered anyone in his own family. He was never rejected by his guru. Virtually everything Tsang Nyon Heruka has to say about Milarepa's life is completely false Apart from the songs TNH collected, there is very little truth in his account of Milarepa.
Are there some other accounts of his life that are bit closer to truth than Tsang Nyon Heruka was?
“Observing samaya involves to remain inseparable from the union of wisdom and compassion at all times, to sustain mindfulness, and to put into practice the guru’s instructions”. Garchen Rinpoche

For those who do virtuous actions,
goodness is what comes to pass.
For those who do non-virtuous actions,
that becomes suffering indeed.

- Arya Sanghata Sutra
Tenma

Post by Tenma »

What about Naropa, Tilopa, Gampopa, Rechungpa, etc.? Are their accounts all fake? Is the Kagyu lineage simply a fake lineage based on some fictional story as silly as Snow White?
SunWuKong

Post by SunWuKong »

Malcolm you ruined the story. Maybe I the fake Tibetan Buddhist stories are better than the real ones? But probably not, but I’ll never know since it’s all a secret LOL

Return to “Mahāyāna Buddhism”