Acer to market 'smart prayer beads'

General forum on the teachings of all schools of Mahayana and Vajrayana Buddhism. Topics specific to one school are best posted in the appropriate sub-forum.
Fortyeightvows

Acer to market 'smart prayer beads'

Post by Fortyeightvows » Mon Feb 12, 2018 1:01 am

The smart prayer beads will keep track of a user's mantra recitations, and record the number as merit in an online app...the beads will automatically keep track of how many times a user recites a mantra, by counting the number of times the beads pass through a user’s fingers.
https://www.taiwannews.com.tw/en/news/3361347

Wayfarer
Global Moderator

Re: Acer to market 'smart prayer beads'

Post by Wayfarer » Mon Feb 12, 2018 1:31 am

Online merit. Gotta love it. :smile:

I've been using Insight Timer for three years. It's now an entire social media network, although I just use it for timing. I suppose I'm also using health apps to keep track of fitness activities.

Welcome to 21st Century.
Only practice with no gaining idea ~ Suzuki Roshi

Monlam Tharchin

Post by Monlam Tharchin » Mon Feb 12, 2018 1:32 am

Glad to see it. Keeping track of mantras during the day can be tricky.

Wayfarer, I'm in Insight too. We should start a DW group if there isn't one already :)

dzogchungpa

Post by dzogchungpa » Mon Feb 12, 2018 1:59 am

I don't really understand what the point of the beads is. Why not just use one of those digital clicker thingies?
There is not only nothingness because there is always, and always can manifest. - Thinley Norbu Rinpoche

Monlam Tharchin

Post by Monlam Tharchin » Mon Feb 12, 2018 2:23 am

Pushing a button can be hard on the thumb after a while if you're doing high numbers of recitations daily.

dzogchungpa

Post by dzogchungpa » Mon Feb 12, 2018 2:30 am

Monlam Tharchin wrote:
Mon Feb 12, 2018 2:23 am
Pushing a button can be hard on the thumb after a while if you're doing high numbers of recitations daily.

Wouldn't that be true with beads too?
There is not only nothingness because there is always, and always can manifest. - Thinley Norbu Rinpoche

Monlam Tharchin

Post by Monlam Tharchin » Mon Feb 12, 2018 2:37 am

Not as much for my hands anyway. I tried a digital thing and it hurt my thumb. I guess everyone's different. :toilet:

Jingang

Post by Jingang » Wed Feb 14, 2018 6:40 am

Anyone know where the pre-order page Is?

Wayfarer
Global Moderator

Post by Wayfarer » Wed Feb 14, 2018 7:36 am

Monlam Tharchin wrote:
Mon Feb 12, 2018 1:32 am
Glad to see it. Keeping track of mantras during the day can be tricky.

Wayfarer, I'm in Insight too. We should start a DW group if there isn't one already :)
Actually I've shied away from the various social functions on Insight Timer. I literally just use it to keep time and stats. Boring, I know. :smile:
Only practice with no gaining idea ~ Suzuki Roshi

Simon E.

Post by Simon E. » Wed Feb 14, 2018 11:32 am

Call me Mr Stick- in- the- mud but I'll keep using beads I can feel. Whose heft is in my hand. Beads that I can oil and smell the sandalwood or frankincense...

I like using all the senses, not just hearing and cognitions
Taking advantage of a temporary situation. Back for a short time only folks.

javier.espinoza.t

Post by javier.espinoza.t » Wed Feb 14, 2018 2:10 pm

pen and papper would do... :rolling:
Identities are false and not true

Simon E.

Post by Simon E. » Wed Feb 14, 2018 2:25 pm

javier.espinoza.t wrote:
Wed Feb 14, 2018 2:10 pm
pen and papper would do... :rolling:
If the idea is just to keep count then pen and paper would certainly do. As would a child's abacus.

I suspect however that there is rather more to mantra practice than that.

Mantrik

Post by Mantrik » Wed Feb 14, 2018 2:49 pm

I count sheep. LIke Acer products, they are occasionally prone to viruses but the worst part is having to round up 108 of them each time. I found a short cut, though - round up 27 and count each leg, plus the sheepdog to allow for errors. ;)

Seriously, though, 'daft beads' may be a better term.......why introduce something which needs power to work, can go wrong, costs more money, and probably has caused a fair amount of pollution in the making. It must have been an April Fool stunt.
http://www.khyung.com

Om Thathpurushaya Vidhmahe
Suvarna Pakshaya Dheemahe
Thanno Garuda Prachodayath

Micchāmi Dukkaḍaṃ (मिच्छामि दुक्कडम्)

Sentient Light

Post by Sentient Light » Wed Feb 14, 2018 4:12 pm

dzogchungpa wrote:
Mon Feb 12, 2018 2:30 am

Have you used beads before? You don't have to push or press anything. You just flick the tip of your thumb very gently. When you're done, if it's a bracelet, you can just tuck your thumb under, flay the fingers out, and the bracelet's back on and you're carrying on with your day. Don't need to really carry anything around like a clicker in the pocket.
:buddha1: Nam mô A di đà Phật :buddha1:
:bow: Nam mô Quan Thế Âm Bồ tát :bow:
:bow: Nam mô Đại Thế Chi Bồ Tát :bow:

:buddha1: Nam mô Bổn sư Thích ca mâu ni Phật :buddha1:
:bow: Nam mô Di lặc Bồ tát :bow:
:bow: Nam mô Địa tạng vương Bồ tát :bow:

dzogchungpa

Post by dzogchungpa » Wed Feb 14, 2018 5:32 pm

Sentient Light wrote:
Wed Feb 14, 2018 4:12 pm
dzogchungpa wrote:
Mon Feb 12, 2018 2:30 am

Have you used beads before? You don't have to push or press anything. You just flick the tip of your thumb very gently. When you're done, if it's a bracelet, you can just tuck your thumb under, flay the fingers out, and the bracelet's back on and you're carrying on with your day. Don't need to really carry anything around like a clicker in the pocket.

Yes, I do a good amount of recitation every day with a traditional mala and I don't really like the digital clickers. However, from what I've seen of them, I don't think they would be any harder on the thumb and are in fact lighter and take up less space than most malas.

Matt J

Post by Matt J » Wed Feb 14, 2018 6:13 pm

Stupid question, but why count them, anyway? Wouldn't it be better to practice until the signs appear? How did this come about that it was important to count mantras?
"The essence of meditation practice is to let go of all your expectations about meditation. All the qualities of your natural mind -- peace, openness, relaxation, and clarity -- are present in your mind just as it is. You don't have to do anything different. You don't have to shift or change your awareness. All you have to do while observing your mind is to recognize the qualities it already has."
--- Yongey Mingyur Rinpoche

Monlam Tharchin

Post by Monlam Tharchin » Wed Feb 14, 2018 6:42 pm

Some may accumulate mantras in a broader training such as ngöndro. Hopefully a Vajrayana Buddhist can explain more on this point.
Others may accumulate because without a numeric goal, they become lax in their recitation or don't realize how much or how little they actually are reciting.

Obviously the goal of setting any number is to cultivate, not to achieve that number then be done with it.
Just a technique that is helpful to some, as far as I know.

Thomas Amundsen

Post by Thomas Amundsen » Wed Feb 14, 2018 6:55 pm

Simon E. wrote:
Wed Feb 14, 2018 11:32 am
Call me Mr Stick- in- the- mud but I'll keep using beads I can feel. Whose heft is in my hand. Beads that I can oil and smell the sandalwood or frankincense...

I like using all the senses, not just hearing and cognitions
They're supposed to look and feel exactly like a traditional mala. I've obviously never held one before to be able to attest to that, though.

dzogchungpa

Post by dzogchungpa » Wed Feb 14, 2018 7:18 pm

Matt J wrote:
Wed Feb 14, 2018 6:13 pm
Stupid question, but why count them, anyway? Wouldn't it be better to practice until the signs appear? How did this come about that it was important to count mantras?

Well, there are different ideas about this but, for example, in terms of daily practice I find it helpful to do a set amount of a given mantra every day.

Simon E.

Post by Simon E. » Thu Feb 15, 2018 2:50 pm

Matt J wrote:
Wed Feb 14, 2018 6:13 pm
As Monlam Tharchin points out those undergoing Ngondro are often given a target for mantra recitation/prostrations. This can be 144000 recitations of any given mantram. As can be imagined it is easy to lose track. As it happens a couple of days ago I came across the notebook I kept when doing ngondro. It seemed strange seeing so much effort rendered into scribbled, and then crossed out, totals. :smile:

Return to “Mahāyāna Buddhism”