To what extent do hell beings inhabit our world of physical objects?

General forum on the teachings of all schools of Mahayana and Vajrayana Buddhism. Topics specific to one school are best posted in the appropriate sub-forum.
Motova

Post by Motova »

To become a rain man one must master the ten virtues and sciences.
明安 Myoan
Former staff member

Re: To what extent do hell beings inhabit our world of physical objects?

Post by 明安 Myoan »

This is the human realm. They don't, as far as I know.
Namu Amida Butsu
Losal Samten

Post by Losal Samten »

Vaibhashika - They exist under Mt. Meru
Sautrantika on up - Solitary mind-only realm

Edit - Although some ephemeral hell realm beings can co-exist with us
Lacking mindfulness, we commit every wrong. - Nyoshul Khen Rinpoche
འ༔ ཨ༔ ཧ༔ ཤ༔ ས༔ མ༔
ཨོཾ་ཧ་ནུ་པྷ་ཤ་བྷ་ར་ཧེ་ཡེ་སྭཱ་ཧཱ།།
ཨཱོཾ་མ་ཏྲི་མུ་ཡེ་སལེ་འདུ།།
fuki

Post by fuki »

Motova wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2018 6:24 pm To what extent do hell beings inhabit our world of physical objects?
http://www.thezensite.com/ZenTeachings/ ... uishin.pdf
meldpunt seksueel misbruik in boeddhistische gemeenschappen nederland.
https://meldpuntbg.nl/
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Motova wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2018 6:24 pm To what extent do hell beings inhabit our world of physical objects?
They don't.
Motova

Post by Motova »

I thought they could be reborn into chairs, tables, brooms, etc etc.... :shrug:
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Motova wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2018 6:59 pm I thought they could be reborn into chairs, tables, brooms, etc etc.... :shrug:
Those are temporary hells, but the hells realms do not, according to Mahāyāna thinking, have physical existence.
Motova

Post by Motova »

Malcolm wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2018 7:01 pm
Motova wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2018 6:59 pm I thought they could be reborn into chairs, tables, brooms, etc etc.... :shrug:
Those are temporary hells, but the hells realms do not, according to Mahāyāna thinking, have physical existence.
I don't understand.
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Motova wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2018 7:05 pm
I don't understand.
Hell realms only exist in the mind.
Motova

Post by Motova »

Malcolm wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2018 7:12 pm
Motova wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2018 7:05 pm

I don't understand.
Hell realms only exist in the mind.
I still don't understand. :broke:
Tiago Simões

Post by Tiago Simões »

I am also a bit confused by this one Loppön, what do you mean with "temporary hells"? Aren't all hells temporary?
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Tiago Simões wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2018 7:27 pm
I am also a bit confused by this one Loppön, what do you mean with "temporary hells"? Aren't all hells temporary?
The temporary (nyi tshe ba) hells are called "temporary" or "day hells" because they are solitary (pratyeka), and generally last for a very short period.
Mantrik
Former staff member

Post by Mantrik »

I think your question is leading to some very narrow answers. Beings in another realm can't 'inhabit' ours, but we can interact with them. Some have no physical form, but we still interact with them.

Of course, realms, like other phenomena, are all in the mind, and for my money if we regard everything as illusory then it is all of equal reality too. If I am totally convinced a spirit has entered my world and interacts with me, it is real, and that personal reality is all we have.
http://www.khyung.com ཁྲོཾ

Om Thathpurushaya Vidhmahe
Suvarna Pakshaya Dheemahe
Thanno Garuda Prachodayath

Micchāmi Dukkaḍaṃ (मिच्छामि दुक्कडम्)
Sentient Light

Post by Sentient Light »

Mantrik wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2018 7:58 pm
I think your question is leading to some very narrow answers. Beings in another realm can't 'inhabit' ours, but we can interact with them. Some have no physical form, but we still interact with them.

Of course, realms, like other phenomena, are all in the mind, and for my money if we regard everything as illusory then it is all of equal reality too. If I am totally convinced a spirit has entered my world and interacts with me, it is real, and that personal reality is all we have.
Here is a misunderstanding. There is a difference between all realms being made-of-mind and the Mahayana position of the hell realms (even within Yogacara thought). Most realms do share a physical environment (which is not to contest that that physical environment is manifest of mind):
Mahaprajanaparamita Sastra wrote: Hungry ghosts, animals, human beings, and devas,
According to their different perceptions
Perceive the same thing differently.
One should admit that their referent (yi; artha) is not a substantial reality (chen-shih, dravya).

In regard to phenomena of the past and future,
As in dream images or mirror reflections,
Although the object-support (alambana) is not real,
Still the marks of objects of cognition (visaya-lakshanas) are posited
But note the lack of hell-beings in that list. This is because the hell realms do not have a physical environment; they are a created space, manifest of the hell-beings' karmic habits.
:buddha1: Nam mô A di đà Phật :buddha1:
:bow: Nam mô Quan Thế Âm Bồ tát :bow:
:bow: Nam mô Đại Thế Chi Bồ Tát :bow:

:buddha1: Nam mô Bổn sư Thích ca mâu ni Phật :buddha1:
:bow: Nam mô Di lặc Bồ tát :bow:
:bow: Nam mô Địa tạng vương Bồ tát :bow:
Mantrik
Former staff member

Post by Mantrik »

Sentient Light wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2018 9:15 pm Most realms do share a physical environment .....
Your quote does not provide any evidence of this. Examine what 'formless' means.
http://www.khyung.com ཁྲོཾ

Om Thathpurushaya Vidhmahe
Suvarna Pakshaya Dheemahe
Thanno Garuda Prachodayath

Micchāmi Dukkaḍaṃ (मिच्छामि दुक्कडम्)
PadmaVonSamba

Post by PadmaVonSamba »

something to consider,
when we raise the question of another kind of being occurring in our (human) realm,
that sort of starts with the premise that this realm that we experience has some kind of intrinsic reality to it
(as opposed to being emptiness, sunyata, devoid of any intrinsic substantial essence).
I prefer the term experience rather than inhabit to avoid constructing that very conceptual precondition.

Because of the strong karmic need to experience a solid "self", beings may perceive chairs, trees, or other objects to be their bodies, and suffer when those objects are damaged or destroyed. Of course, to a lot of people this sounds far-fetched and ridiculous, until you realize that this is precisely what we do with the elements, the carbon, salts, calcium, water, iron, etc., all the way down to the sub-atomic level, that each of desperately clings to as "me".

Humans have all the potentials of experiencing what other beings experience, which is why certain habitual clinging patterns can lead to that kind of rebirth, because, while there is nothing that can be identified as an intrinsically existent "self", there are what you might call, wheels that are set in motion. It's like an echo in a canyon: If you yell "Hellooo" into a canyon, the echo will reverberate the sound "Hellooo". Establishing certain causes produces results in kind.

If a person constantly practices greediness, always feeling as though they don't have enough, then even when they do, they remain unsatisfied. When causes manifest as the experience of a rebirth, then, even if that person is born into a wealthy household, mentally they will experience poverty.

A hell being might experience the human realm, if the causes for that result were planted in the past, like seeds that eventually sprout. But the realms themselves are empty of any self-reality. It's the mind of the being that establishes the experience of the realm.
EMPTIFUL.
An inward outlook produces outward insight.

Return to “Mahāyāna Buddhism”