Question on the Amitabha mantra

General forum on the teachings of all schools of Mahayana and Vajrayana Buddhism. Topics specific to one school are best posted in the appropriate sub-forum.
Jingang

Question on the Amitabha mantra

Post by Jingang »

Just a question on the Amitabha mantra. The most common one is Om Amideva Hrih. However I also read it by Tulku Thondup Rinpoche as Om Amitabha Hrih.

Is anyone familiar with the latter?
Cyrus

Re: Question on the Amitabha mantra

Post by Cyrus »

Hello Jingang,

I have been wondering about this too since I read 'Peaceful Death, Joyful Rebirth' and from what I have gathered they are more or less interchangeable.
Venerable Thubten Chodron stated this in a recent teaching on the Amitabha practice, I do not know which episode it was but they are certainly worth watching all of them:https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... YLfiMs8sc0

Personally I have experienced an auspicious effect with the Ami Deva variation and this is the mantra that was taught to me when I received the Amitabha empowerment from Ayang Rinpoche.
I would care to hear what your impression is of these two mantra variations and if you have experienced a difference between them in their vibration or frequency.

__/\__

Namo Amitabha Buddhaya
'If you want to find the secrets of the universe, think in terms of energy, frequency and vibration.'
— Nikola Tesla
Cyrus

Post by Cyrus »

In this writing on the Amitabha mantra by Bodhipaksa he states the following:

"Amitabha’s mantra is a variant of his name. Amideva is just the Tibetan pronunciation of Amitabha (although I was told for a long time that “deva” here meant “god”)."
Source: https://www.wildmind.org/mantras/figures/amitabha

This seems a plausible explanation for the discrepancy between these two variations of the same mantra although as he rightly states the word 'deva' is indeed Sanskrit for the word 'god'.
'If you want to find the secrets of the universe, think in terms of energy, frequency and vibration.'
— Nikola Tesla
Vasana

Post by Vasana »

Deva can also be used to refer to a deity, a divinity, a yidam etc
Last edited by Vasana on Thu Mar 22, 2018 8:59 am, edited 2 times in total.
'When thoughts arise, recognise them clearly as your teacher'— Gampopa
'When alone, examine your mind, when among others, examine your speech'.— Atisha
Vasana

Post by Vasana »

Also: I'm becoming more interested in Amitabha. If one hasn't received an empowerment for either mantra, is it still Ok to use any of them since they're sutra based?
'When alone, examine your mind, when among others, examine your speech'.— Atisha
Grigoris
Former staff member

Post by Grigoris »

Vasana wrote: Thu Mar 22, 2018 8:55 am... is it still Ok to use any of them since they're sutra based?
Yup. But many of the Tibetan practices for Amitabha are tantric, so...

PS It is acceptable to just chant the seed syllable too: HRIH
"My religion is not deceiving myself."
Jetsun Milarepa 1052-1135 CE

"Butchers, prostitutes, those guilty of the five most heinous crimes, outcasts, the underprivileged: all are utterly the substance of existence and nothing other than total bliss."
The Supreme Source - The Kunjed Gyalpo
The Fundamental Tantra of Dzogchen Semde
Vasana

Post by Vasana »

Grigoris wrote: Thu Mar 22, 2018 9:08 am
Vasana wrote: Thu Mar 22, 2018 8:55 am... is it still Ok to use any of them since they're sutra based?
I figured that there may be Amitabha Sadhanas that don't require lung? Similar to those Shakyamuni, Medicine Buddha, Chenrezig and Tara practices that you can practice without lung.
Grigoris
Former staff member

Post by Grigoris »

Vasana wrote: Thu Mar 22, 2018 9:12 am
Grigoris wrote: Thu Mar 22, 2018 9:08 am
I figured that there may be Amitabha Sadhanas that don't require lung? Similar to those Shakyamuni, Medicine Buddha, Chenrezig and Tara practices that you can practice without lung.
There may well be, but I have not seen one yet. Check the FPMT website, they generally have many sutric sadhana available.

"Butchers, prostitutes, those guilty of the five most heinous crimes, outcasts, the underprivileged: all are utterly the substance of existence and nothing other than total bliss."
Cyrus

Post by Cyrus »

Vasana wrote: Thu Mar 22, 2018 8:54 am Deva can also be used to refer to a deity, a divinity, a yidam etc
True, within the ancient culture of India the terms deity, divinity and god being are rather synonymous for the same phenomenon if I am not mistaken.

As Grigoris stated the Amitabha mantra can be practised without receiving an initiation.
With regard to your question about whether a Amitabha Sadhana practise exists that can be practised without receiving an empowerment is something I too am uncertain about as I also have not encountered one.

Nevertheless there is the Aspiration Prayer of Sukhavati by Karma Chagme which I can recommend that can be practised without a lung:
https://vdocuments.site/documents/karma ... 58-en.html

May it be of great benefit.

__/\__
— Nikola Tesla
Cyrus

Post by Cyrus »

Vasana wrote: Thu Mar 22, 2018 9:12 am I figured that there may be Amitabha Sadhanas that don't require lung? Similar to those Shakyamuni, Medicine Buddha, Chenrezig and Tara practices that you can practice without lung.
I encountered 'The Swift Path to Great Bliss' which was deciphered by the Thirteenth Dalai Lama, this sādhana of Amitābha is among the most famous revelations of Tertön Sogyal Lerab Lingpa:

http://www.lotsawahouse.org/tibetan-mas ... reat-bliss

Lotsawa House does not mention the necessity to have received the appropriate tantric empowerment in order to practice this sādhana.
If you want to be sure whether this is the case, I suggest you contact them.

I hope this is the sādhana that may fulfil your wish.

__/\__
— Nikola Tesla
Grigoris
Former staff member

Post by Grigoris »

Cyrus wrote: Fri Mar 23, 2018 8:26 amNevertheless there is the Aspiration Prayer of Sukhavati by Karma Chagme which I can recommend that can be practised without a lung:

__/\__
That's a nice one! :smile:

Cyrus

Post by Cyrus »

Grigoris wrote: Fri Mar 23, 2018 8:59 am
Cyrus wrote: Fri Mar 23, 2018 8:26 amNevertheless there is the Aspiration Prayer of Sukhavati by Karma Chagme which I can recommend that can be practised without a lung:

__/\__
I agree! It is a phenomenal prayer, especially when practised regularly or as Karma Chagme advises:

"If possible, recite this aspiration every day, if not, once every month or every year. When you are at leisure, face the
west and recollect the realm of Sukhavati and Buddha Amitabha. With palms joined in devotion and recite this aspiration prayer with one-pointed faith, it is said that your obstacles in this life will be dispelled. There is no doubt you will be reborn in Sukhavati after this life."

__/\__
— Nikola Tesla
Vasana

Post by Vasana »

Cyrus wrote: Fri Mar 23, 2018 8:58 am
Vasana wrote: Thu Mar 22, 2018 9:12 am I figured that there may be Amitabha Sadhanas that don't require lung? Similar to those Shakyamuni, Medicine Buddha, Chenrezig and Tara practices that you can practice without lung.
I encountered 'The Swift Path to Great Bliss' which was deciphered by the Thirteenth Dalai Lama, this sādhana of Amitābha is among the most famous revelations of Tertön Sogyal Lerab Lingpa:

Lotsawa House does not mention the necessity to have received the appropriate tantric empowerment in order to practice this sādhana.

__/\__
I havn't messaged Lotsawa House yet and from the looks of that text it looks like it would need a rLung but I recently found this simple and concise sādhana compiled by Lama Thubten Yeshe. I emailed Sravasti Abbey and was told it does not require a transmission to practice. :smile:
https://thubtenchodron.org/2017/07/amitabha-sadhana/
ThreeVows

Post by ThreeVows »

Cyrus wrote: Thu Mar 22, 2018 8:09 am In this writing on the Amitabha mantra by Bodhipaksa he states the following:

"Amitabha’s mantra is a variant of his name. Amideva is just the Tibetan pronunciation of Amitabha (although I was told for a long time that “deva” here meant “god”)."

This seems a plausible explanation for the discrepancy between these two variations of the same mantra although as he rightly states the word 'deva' is indeed Sanskrit for the word 'god'.
I think it’s actually from dewa, not deva, though it’s often transliterated as deva.

Dewa I believe refers to Dewachen or Sukhavati.
“Whoever wants to find the wisdom beyond intellect without praying to his guru is like someone waiting for the sun to shine in a cave facing the north. He will never realize appearances and his mind to be one.”
Kyabje Dilgo Khyentse Rinpoche
yan kong

Post by yan kong »

Seeker12 wrote: Thu May 10, 2018 2:55 am
Cyrus wrote: Thu Mar 22, 2018 8:09 am In this writing on the Amitabha mantra by Bodhipaksa he states the following:

I think it’s actually from dewa, not deva, though it’s often transliterated as deva.

Dewa I believe refers to Dewachen or Sukhavati.
Wouldn't that make the mantra of Tibetan origin rather than Indian origin? Why would Indians use part of the Tibetan word for the Western Paradise in their mantra?
"Meditation is a spiritual exercise, not a therapeutic regime... Our intention is to enter Nirvana, not to make life in Samsara more tolerable." Chan Master Hsu Yun
ThreeVows

Post by ThreeVows »

yan kong wrote: Thu May 10, 2018 8:51 pm Wouldn't that make the mantra of Tibetan origin rather than Indian origin? Why would Indians use part of the Tibetan word for the Western Paradise in their mantra?
Good point. Most likely I'm simply wrong - I was told that a while back but I don't see how that would be.

I'll retract my statement, then :P Thanks.
“Whoever wants to find the wisdom beyond intellect without praying to his guru is like someone waiting for the sun to shine in a cave facing the north. He will never realize appearances and his mind to be one.”
Kyabje Dilgo Khyentse Rinpoche
jkt

Post by jkt »

Grigoris wrote: Fri Mar 23, 2018 8:59 am

__/\__
Yes it is Grigoris! Thank you for sharing Cyrus :namaste:
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Jingang wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2018 9:21 am Just a question on the Amitabha mantra. The most common one is Om Amideva Hrih. However I also read it by Tulku Thondup Rinpoche as Om Amitabha Hrih.

The former is a Tibetsn corruption of the latter, however it is so diffuse now as to have become canonical.
Fortyeightvows

Post by Fortyeightvows »

Malcolm wrote: Sat May 19, 2018 5:43 am
Jingang wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2018 9:21 am Just a question on the Amitabha mantra. The most common one is Om Amideva Hrih. However I also read it by Tulku Thondup Rinpoche as Om Amitabha Hrih.
The former is a Tibetsn corruption of the latter, however it is so diffuse now as to have become canonical.
That's interesting! I had wondered about that.
Cyrus

Post by Cyrus »

Vasana wrote: Fri Apr 27, 2018 7:39 pm
Cyrus wrote: Fri Mar 23, 2018 8:58 am

__/\__
I havn't messaged Lotsawa House yet and from the looks of that text it looks like it would need a rLung but I recently found this simple and concise sādhana compiled by Lama Thubten Yeshe. I emailed Sravasti Abbey and was told it does not require a transmission to practice. :smile:
https://thubtenchodron.org/2017/07/amitabha-sadhana/
Magnificent! Glad to see you have found this beautiful, and accessible practise.
Have you watched Sravasti Abbey's venerable Thubten Chodron's teachings on the Amitabha practice?
It is a quite comprehensive series of teachings that is conducive to the sādhana:
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... YLfiMs8sc0

__/\__
— Nikola Tesla

Return to “Mahāyāna Buddhism”