Patrul Rinpoche advice question

General forum on the teachings of all schools of Mahayana and Vajrayana Buddhism. Topics specific to one school are best posted in the appropriate sub-forum.
jet.urgyen

Patrul Rinpoche advice question

Post by jet.urgyen »

Hello all,

You see, in Patrul Rinpoche's "Nine Considerations and Criteria for Benefiting Beings" says in the 6th point "Consideration of the pros and cons of generosity" the next:
4. Consideration of the pros and cons of giving protection from fear
If bodhisattvas possess the power to protect sentient beings from danger, they should act to do so. But if they do not, they should not act. If you have the power but it would cause harm to yourself, you should not act. Even if your power is small, if it would not harm yourself or others, you should act to protect and defend endangered beings as much as possible.
so i was wondering why mr Patrul Rinpoche gave advice on giving material things and performing actions, but in this very case (underlined text) protection from fear is not to be applyed at our own expenses.

this made me think that maybe i don't understand what "protect from fear" really means.

can anyone send some light on this? i found it very very interesting, but i don't get why the criteria here is different from other activities.

pd: Source: http://www.lotsawahouse.org/tibetan-ma ... iderations

:cheers:
true dharma is inexpressible.

The bodhisattva nourishes from bodhicitta, through whatever method the Buddha has given him. Oh joy.
Malcolm

Re: Patrul Rinpoche advice question

Post by Malcolm »

javier.espinoza.t wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2018 10:01 pm Hello all,

You see, in Patrul Rinpoche's "Nine Considerations and Criteria for Benefiting Beings" says in the 6th point "Consideration of the pros and cons of generosity" the next:
If bodhisattvas possess the power to protect sentient beings from danger, they should act to do so. But if they do not, they should not act. If you have the power but it would cause harm to yourself, you should not act. Even if your power is small, if it would not harm yourself or others, you should act to protect and defend endangered beings as much as possible.
so i was wondering why mr Patrul Rinpoche gave advice on giving material things and performing actions, but in this very case (underlined text) protection from fear is not to be applyed at our own expenses.

this made me think that maybe i don't understand what "protect from fear" really means.

can anyone send some light on this? i found it very very interesting, but i don't get why the criteria here is different from other activities.

For example, you should NOT run through a gun battle just to save a small dog. This is what it means. In other words, in order to benefit others one needs to protect oneself. Martyrdom is a Christian thing, not a Buddhist thing. We are supposed to attain buddhahood to benefit others, not uselessly throw away our lives out of some savior delusion.
jet.urgyen

Re: Patrul Rinpoche advice question

Post by jet.urgyen »

Malcolm wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2018 11:06 pm
javier.espinoza.t wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2018 10:01 pm Hello all,

For example, you should NOT run through a gun battle just to save a small dog. This is what it means. In other words, in order to benefit others one needs to protect oneself. Martyrdom is a Christian thing, not a Buddhist thing. We are supposed to attain buddhahood to benefit others, not uselessly throw away our lives out of some savior delusion.
got it! :bow:
true dharma is inexpressible.

The bodhisattva nourishes from bodhicitta, through whatever method the Buddha has given him. Oh joy.

Return to “Mahāyāna Buddhism”