What place does pilgrimage have in Buddhist practice?

General forum on the teachings of all schools of Mahayana and Vajrayana Buddhism. Topics specific to one school are best posted in the appropriate sub-forum.
User avatar
Thomas Amundsen
Posts: 1862
Joined: Thu Feb 03, 2011 2:50 am
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Contact:

Re: What place does pilgrimage have in Buddhist practice?

Post by Thomas Amundsen » Wed Mar 07, 2018 6:37 pm

TharpaChodron wrote:
Wed Mar 07, 2018 3:36 am
Thomas Amundsen wrote:
Tue Mar 06, 2018 11:13 pm
Pilgrimage hasn't been a big part of my practice, although I do consider it to be important. I definitely want to visit those four famous sites that Malcolm mentioned which the Buddha encouraged his followers to visit, among others (Paro Taktsang). So far, the only pilgrimages I've done are to stupas and large statues in North America and a few touristy temples in China.
Me too. And so when is the Dharmawheel Buddhist pilgrimage tour happening? :) I'd love to help organize it, or jump on the bandwagon with a good one already arranged.
I'm down!

User avatar
Thomas Amundsen
Posts: 1862
Joined: Thu Feb 03, 2011 2:50 am
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Contact:

Re: What place does pilgrimage have in Buddhist practice?

Post by Thomas Amundsen » Wed Mar 07, 2018 6:39 pm

Malcolm wrote:
Wed Mar 07, 2018 5:32 am
Thomas Amundsen wrote:
Wed Mar 07, 2018 1:58 am
Fortyeightvows wrote:
Wed Mar 07, 2018 12:10 am


like where?
Namdrol Pemay Gatshal stupa garden at Pema Osel Ling in Watsonville, California (near Santa Cruz). The 35 foot Vajrasattva statue and others at the Tashi Choling Mandala Garden near Ashland, Oregon. And the Garden of One Thousand Buddhas in Arlee, Montana.
You need to do Khandroling and Mahasiiddha. There is a very beautiful Peace Pagoda quite near us as well.
Those look like great places! Sounds like a plan for the near future :)

User avatar
Thomas Amundsen
Posts: 1862
Joined: Thu Feb 03, 2011 2:50 am
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Contact:

Re: What place does pilgrimage have in Buddhist practice?

Post by Thomas Amundsen » Wed Mar 07, 2018 6:44 pm

Johnny Dangerous wrote:
Wed Mar 07, 2018 7:47 am
Here's an old thread of mine when I visited the Garden of 100 Buddhas for the first time, to leave a Dharma friends tsa-tsa.

https://www.dharmawheel.net/viewtopic.p ... as#p321668
The Garden of 1000 Buddhas is a really magical place. I got a nice shot of the sun setting behind the mountains this past January. I'd love to go back in the summer.

Image

User avatar
Nyedrag Yeshe
Posts: 461
Joined: Fri Jun 03, 2016 3:06 am
Location: Brazil

Re: What place does pilgrimage have in Buddhist practice?

Post by Nyedrag Yeshe » Wed Mar 07, 2018 7:05 pm

In Southern Brazil we have the first Tibetan Buddhist temple of South America, it was once the residence of Chagdud Tulku Rinpoche. It has become not only a center of prilgrimage to Brazilian Buddhists but also a tourist attraction. It also features a 3d representation of Guru Rinpoche's Copper Coloured Pure land. It also features a big Akshobhya statue, Stupas and a garden to the 21 Taras in indian classical style.
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
“Whatever has to happen, let it happen!”
“Whatever the situation is, it’s fine!”
“I really don’t need anything!
~Tsangpa Gyare Yeshe Dorje (1161-1211)
ओं पद्मोष्णीष विमले हूँ फट । ओं हनुफशभरहृदय स्वाहा॥
འ༔ ཨ༔ ཧ༔ ཤ༔ ས༔ མ༔ ཀརྨ་པ་མཁྱེན་ནོ།

User avatar
Johnny Dangerous
Global Moderator
Posts: 8118
Joined: Fri Nov 02, 2012 10:58 pm
Location: Olympia WA
Contact:

Re: What place does pilgrimage have in Buddhist practice?

Post by Johnny Dangerous » Wed Mar 07, 2018 7:51 pm

Thomas Amundsen wrote:
Wed Mar 07, 2018 6:44 pm
Johnny Dangerous wrote:
Wed Mar 07, 2018 7:47 am
Here's an old thread of mine when I visited the Garden of 100 Buddhas for the first time, to leave a Dharma friends tsa-tsa.

https://www.dharmawheel.net/viewtopic.p ... as#p321668
The Garden of 1000 Buddhas is a really magical place. I got a nice shot of the sun setting behind the mountains this past January. I'd love to go back in the summer.

Image
Ah man, that's a nice photo!
"it must be coming from the mouthy mastermind of raunchy rapper, Johnny Dangerous”

-Jeff H.

Sentient Light
Posts: 188
Joined: Thu Sep 15, 2016 8:40 pm
Location: Fairfax, Virginia

Re: What place does pilgrimage have in Buddhist practice?

Post by Sentient Light » Wed Mar 07, 2018 8:11 pm

DNS wrote:
Wed Mar 07, 2018 6:30 pm

Interesting that you mention that statue in Sugar Land, Texas. In my earlier post I mentioned how the U.S. is about exactly the other side of the globe from India, so decided to look up the exact spot which is exactly the other side of the globe and it turns out to be not too far from Sugar Land, Texas.

Sugar Land Texas is:
Coordinates: 29°35′58″N 95°36′51″W

And Maha Bodhi Temple, India is:
coordinates: 24.6959° N, 84.9911° E

85 degrees East (MBT) + 95 degrees West (Sugar Land) = 180 degrees

And then the coordinates north of the equator are also very similar.

The exact spot appears to be some spot just East of Brownsville, Texas in the Gulf of Mexico.
That's absolutely crazy! There's a thriving Vietnamese Buddhist community in that area. Someone should go let them know they're quite nearly at the opposite end of the earth from the seat of awakening. :D
:buddha1: Nam mô A di đà Phật :buddha1:
:bow: Nam mô Quan Thế Âm Bồ tát :bow:
:bow: Nam mô Đại Thế Chi Bồ Tát :bow:

:buddha1: Nam mô Bổn sư Thích ca mâu ni Phật :buddha1:
:bow: Nam mô Di lặc Bồ tát :bow:
:bow: Nam mô Địa tạng vương Bồ tát :bow:

User avatar
dzogchungpa
Posts: 6333
Joined: Sat May 28, 2011 10:50 pm

Re: What place does pilgrimage have in Buddhist practice?

Post by dzogchungpa » Wed Mar 07, 2018 8:52 pm

Queequeg wrote:
Wed Mar 07, 2018 5:02 pm
It would be great to compile a list of pilgrimage sites in N. America and Europe. On occasion I've mapped out Buddhist temple/centers in NYC for a walking circuit but never actually did it. I've also thought of setting up a pilgrimage hiking trail someplace like the Catskills. It would involve setting up small, unobtrusive shrines. I don't know how that might be received by others in a public place so maybe not a good idea.

Odiyan should definitely be on that list, if they ever allow visitors, that is. :smile:
There is not only nothingness because there is always, and always can manifest. - Thinley Norbu Rinpoche

User avatar
DNS
Site Admin
Posts: 3042
Joined: Sun Apr 05, 2009 4:23 pm
Location: Las Vegas, Nevada, Estados Unidos de América
Contact:

Re: What place does pilgrimage have in Buddhist practice?

Post by DNS » Wed Mar 07, 2018 10:11 pm

dzogchungpa wrote:
Wed Mar 07, 2018 8:52 pm
Odiyan should definitely be on that list, if they ever allow visitors, that is. :smile:
From their website:
Please note that we cannot accommodate short-term public visits.
That's too bad, that they don't allow visitors; it looks beautiful. They probably could make some money if they opened for visitors, to help pay the bills to run the place; restaurants, tours, etc.

User avatar
Queequeg
Global Moderator
Posts: 5688
Joined: Tue Jul 03, 2012 3:24 pm

Re: What place does pilgrimage have in Buddhist practice?

Post by Queequeg » Thu Mar 08, 2018 2:03 am

DNS wrote:
Wed Mar 07, 2018 10:11 pm
dzogchungpa wrote:
Wed Mar 07, 2018 8:52 pm
Odiyan should definitely be on that list, if they ever allow visitors, that is. :smile:
From their website:
Please note that we cannot accommodate short-term public visits.
That's too bad, that they don't allow visitors; it looks beautiful. They probably could make some money if they opened for visitors, to help pay the bills to run the place; restaurants, tours, etc.
That place is pretty impressive looking... So many questions starting with how did they raise the money to build that?

It is a shame it's not open for short term visits. What kind of visits are permitted?
Those who, even with distracted minds,
Entered a stupa compound
And chanted but once, “Namo Buddhaya!”
Have certainly attained the path of the buddhas.

-Lotus Sutra, Expedient Means Chapter

I think each human being has things to find out in his own life that are inescapable. They’ll find them out the easy way or the hard way, or whatever.
-Jerry Garcia

User avatar
dzogchungpa
Posts: 6333
Joined: Sat May 28, 2011 10:50 pm

Re: What place does pilgrimage have in Buddhist practice?

Post by dzogchungpa » Thu Mar 08, 2018 2:30 am

Queequeg wrote:
Thu Mar 08, 2018 2:03 am
That place is pretty impressive looking... So many questions starting with how did they raise the money to build that?

It is a shame it's not open for short term visits. What kind of visits are permitted?

1. I don't know but I'm fairly sure that Tarthang Tulku has some very wealthy sponsors.
2. Other than being personally invited by TT, as far as I know you have to volunteer and, according to the site, the minimum commitment is 6 months although they "prefer" nine.
There is not only nothingness because there is always, and always can manifest. - Thinley Norbu Rinpoche

User avatar
TharpaChodron
Posts: 592
Joined: Wed Apr 18, 2012 2:13 am
Location: California

Re: What place does pilgrimage have in Buddhist practice?

Post by TharpaChodron » Thu Mar 08, 2018 3:04 am

So, one time I picked up Shirley Maclaine's book about her pilgrimage journey on the Camino Santiago de Compastela from a free book place, thinking I might give it to my mother. I've never been into her stuff, but it looked like a fun read for my mom. Took the book home and started to read the intro whilst sitting in my kitchen of my bachelorette apartment. As I was reading, I heard a really loud bang come from the living room. I got up to check what the sound was, thinking something must have fallen or what I didn't know.

Went into the living room and looked around, everything was in order, except there was a book laying on the floor by the bookshelf. Went and picked it up. It was my Lonely Planet Guide to India book. :shock: Tried to figure out how it fell off the bookshelf, from its place neatly tucked between other books. No idea how it happened to this day.

User avatar
weitsicht
Posts: 246
Joined: Tue Nov 28, 2017 8:47 pm
Location: Right Here and Now

Re: What place does pilgrimage have in Buddhist practice?

Post by weitsicht » Thu Mar 08, 2018 11:28 am

If things work out well, I'll be doing the Kailash kora this summer. Lhasa, Saga Dawa in Gyantse, Kathmandu will be also "on the way".

I like nature being my stupa.
Ho! All the possible appearances and existences of samsara and nirvana have the same source, yet two paths and two results arise as the magical display of awareness and unawareness.
HO NANG SRI KHOR DAE THAMCHE KUN ZHI CHIG LAM NYI DRAE BU NYI RIG DANG MA RIG CHOM THRUL TE

User avatar
Queequeg
Global Moderator
Posts: 5688
Joined: Tue Jul 03, 2012 3:24 pm

Re: What place does pilgrimage have in Buddhist practice?

Post by Queequeg » Thu Mar 08, 2018 5:12 pm

TharpaChodron wrote:
Thu Mar 08, 2018 3:04 am
So, one time I picked up Shirley Maclaine's book about her pilgrimage journey on the Camino Santiago de Compastela from a free book place, thinking I might give it to my mother. I've never been into her stuff, but it looked like a fun read for my mom. Took the book home and started to read the intro whilst sitting in my kitchen of my bachelorette apartment. As I was reading, I heard a really loud bang come from the living room. I got up to check what the sound was, thinking something must have fallen or what I didn't know.

Went into the living room and looked around, everything was in order, except there was a book laying on the floor by the bookshelf. Went and picked it up. It was my Lonely Planet Guide to India book. :shock: Tried to figure out how it fell off the bookshelf, from its place neatly tucked between other books. No idea how it happened to this day.
Did you accept the invitation?
Those who, even with distracted minds,
Entered a stupa compound
And chanted but once, “Namo Buddhaya!”
Have certainly attained the path of the buddhas.

-Lotus Sutra, Expedient Means Chapter

I think each human being has things to find out in his own life that are inescapable. They’ll find them out the easy way or the hard way, or whatever.
-Jerry Garcia

User avatar
Grigoris
Global Moderator
Posts: 17355
Joined: Fri May 14, 2010 9:27 pm
Location: Greece

Re: What place does pilgrimage have in Buddhist practice?

Post by Grigoris » Thu Mar 08, 2018 8:16 pm

DNS wrote:
Wed Mar 07, 2018 6:30 pm
The exact spot appears to be some spot just East of Brownsville, Texas in the Gulf of Mexico.
Maybe the Naga have built a stupa there?
"My religion is not deceiving myself."
Jetsun Milarepa 1052-1135 CE

"Butchers, prostitutes, those guilty of the five most heinous crimes, outcasts, the underprivileged: all are utterly the substance of existence and nothing other than total bliss."
The Supreme Source - The Kunjed Gyalpo
The Fundamental Tantra of Dzogchen Semde

User avatar
Grigoris
Global Moderator
Posts: 17355
Joined: Fri May 14, 2010 9:27 pm
Location: Greece

Re: What place does pilgrimage have in Buddhist practice?

Post by Grigoris » Thu Mar 08, 2018 8:19 pm

Nyedrag Yeshe wrote:
Wed Mar 07, 2018 7:05 pm
In Southern Brazil we have the first Tibetan Buddhist temple of South America, it was once the residence of Chagdud Tulku Rinpoche. It has become not only a center of prilgrimage to Brazilian Buddhists but also a tourist attraction. It also features a 3d representation of Guru Rinpoche's Copper Coloured Pure land. It also features a big Akshobhya statue, Stupas and a garden to the 21 Taras in indian classical style.
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
That's awesome!
"My religion is not deceiving myself."
Jetsun Milarepa 1052-1135 CE

"Butchers, prostitutes, those guilty of the five most heinous crimes, outcasts, the underprivileged: all are utterly the substance of existence and nothing other than total bliss."
The Supreme Source - The Kunjed Gyalpo
The Fundamental Tantra of Dzogchen Semde

User avatar
Kunga Lhadzom
Posts: 1457
Joined: Sat Jan 30, 2010 2:01 am

Re: What place does pilgrimage have in Buddhist practice?

Post by Kunga Lhadzom » Thu Mar 08, 2018 8:26 pm

I would love to go to Milarepa's cave.
The Universe flowing through my veins...stars falling from my eyes......rocks rolling in my head...lemon juice dripping down my chin....

https://drunklotus.blog

User avatar
Aryjna
Posts: 813
Joined: Mon Mar 27, 2017 12:45 pm

Re: What place does pilgrimage have in Buddhist practice?

Post by Aryjna » Thu Mar 08, 2018 8:34 pm

Kailash seems to be an important place to visit. I am curious if it would be considered a priority over Bodh Gaya, Sarnath, etc. for Vajrayana practitioners.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mount_Kailash

Image

User avatar
Malcolm
Posts: 28008
Joined: Thu Nov 11, 2010 2:19 am

Re: What place does pilgrimage have in Buddhist practice?

Post by Malcolm » Thu Mar 08, 2018 10:30 pm

Aryjna wrote:
Thu Mar 08, 2018 8:34 pm
Kailash seems to be an important place to visit. I am curious if it would be considered a priority over Bodh Gaya, Sarnath, etc. for Vajrayana practitioners.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mount_Kailash

Image
Buddha was not born at Kailash, nor did he attain awakening there, nor did he teach there, nor did he die there, nor is there any sūtra or tantra that mention it is an important site, even though it is one of the 24 places mentioned in the Cakrasamvara cycle, etc. So, no, it is not more important than these traditional four sites.
Buddhahood in This Life
འ༔ ཨ༔ ཧ༔ ཤ༔ ས༔ མ༔


[A]nything at all that is well spoken is the word of the Buddha.

-- Ārya-adhyāśaya-sañcodana-nāma-mahāyāna-sūtra

The different sūtras in accord with the emptiness
taught by the Sugata are definitive in meaning;
One can understand that all of those Dharmas in
which a sentient being, individual, or person are taught are provisional in meaning.

-- Samadhirāja Sūtra

User avatar
Aryjna
Posts: 813
Joined: Mon Mar 27, 2017 12:45 pm

Re: What place does pilgrimage have in Buddhist practice?

Post by Aryjna » Thu Mar 08, 2018 11:17 pm

Malcolm wrote:
Thu Mar 08, 2018 10:30 pm
Aryjna wrote:
Thu Mar 08, 2018 8:34 pm
Kailash seems to be an important place to visit. I am curious if it would be considered a priority over Bodh Gaya, Sarnath, etc. for Vajrayana practitioners.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mount_Kailash

Image
Buddha was not born at Kailash, nor did he attain awakening there, nor did he teach there, nor did he die there, nor is there any sūtra or tantra that mention it is an important site, even though it is one of the 24 places mentioned in the Cakrasamvara cycle, etc. So, no, it is not more important than these traditional four sites.
It is slightly disappointing that it is not mentioned more in the tantras.

User avatar
kirtu
Former staff member
Posts: 5878
Joined: Mon Jan 18, 2010 5:29 pm
Location: Baltimore, MD

Re: What place does pilgrimage have in Buddhist practice?

Post by kirtu » Fri Mar 09, 2018 1:11 am

Sacred Ground by HE Jamgon Kongtrul, translated by Ngawang Zangpo.

Kongtrul wrote this text as a guide to a pilgrimage site in Tibet, Tsadra. Kongtrul comments that pilgrimage sites can be found in practically any valley anywhere in the world but people would need the preception in order to actually see it. He also comments that the true pilgrimage is intenal (and , from memory, also writes about pilgrimage strictly in the context of ones body).

I haven't read it in a while but highly recommend it.

Kirt
Kirt's Tibetan Translation Notes

"Even if you practice only for an hour a day with faith and inspiration, good qualities will steadily increase. Regular practice makes it easy to transform your mind. From seeing only relative truth, you will eventually reach a profound certainty in the meaning of absolute truth."
Kyabje Dilgo Khyentse Rinpoche.

"Only you can make your mind beautiful."
HH Chetsang Rinpoche

Post Reply

Return to “Mahāyāna Buddhism”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 31 guests