Mahayana ethics guideline

General forum on the teachings of all schools of Mahayana and Vajrayana Buddhism. Topics specific to one school are best posted in the appropriate sub-forum.
jet.urgyen

Mahayana ethics guideline

Post by jet.urgyen »

Hello all,

i would like to as you a guideline on Mahayana ethics which go straight to the points. i'm not good with texts so i need some references from those more learned.

Thanks. :)
true dharma is inexpressible.

The bodhisattva nourishes from bodhicitta, through whatever method the Buddha has given him. Oh joy.
Zhen Li

Re: Mahayana ethics guideline

Post by Zhen Li »

There are bodhisattva precepts texts such as the Sutra on Upasaka Precepts and the Brahmajala Sutra. But I think every sutra has some comments on behaviour and activity of some kind.

As regards the practical aspects of the perfection of morality (śīlapāramitā), this does not differ markedly from non-Mahayana morality, however the important difference is more cognitive. Are you viewing activity as taking place on the part of a self and phenomena or are you transcending dualistic views?
Vasana

Post by Vasana »

The Treasury of Knowledge: Buddhist Ethics v. 5 by Jamgon Kongtrul Rinpoche.

This covers ethics individually for all 9 Yanas.
'When thoughts arise, recognise them clearly as your teacher'— Gampopa
'When alone, examine your mind, when among others, examine your speech'.— Atisha
jet.urgyen

Post by jet.urgyen »

Zhen Li wrote: Wed Mar 14, 2018 6:43 am There are bodhisattva precepts texts such as the Sutra on Upasaka Precepts and the Brahmajala Sutra. But I think every sutra has some comments on behaviour and activity of some kind.

As regards the practical aspects of the perfection of morality (śīlapāramitā), this does not differ markedly from non-Mahayana morality, however the important difference is more cognitive. Are you viewing activity as taking place on the part of a self and phenomena or are you transcending dualistic views?
Not one nor the other, regarding activity, and in general really, i'm relying in the fact that i can't find anything concrete, wich seems paradoxical to the initiative of activity but in reality is the only way for me to reach it; however, i'm seeking how to go towards perfection of activity, in terms of the best effect possible.

For example, buddhas words explain much better the conduct than a modern buddhist does. Buddha gives a prism of aspects in few words, modern buddhists gives a faceted aspect in an excesive amount of words.

So, im pretending collecting the dots on activity perfection, wich evidently involves the aprehension of ethics.
Last edited by jet.urgyen on Wed Mar 14, 2018 11:31 am, edited 2 times in total.

The bodhisattva nourishes from bodhicitta, through whatever method the Buddha has given him. Oh joy.
jet.urgyen

Post by jet.urgyen »

Vasana wrote: Wed Mar 14, 2018 10:30 am The Treasury of Knowledge: Buddhist Ethics v. 5 by Jamgon Kongtrul Rinpoche.

Found it, i will read some now
Thank you

Sentient Light

Post by Sentient Light »

Zhen Li wrote: Wed Mar 14, 2018 6:43 am Sutra on Upasaka Precepts
This text is hugely important in my tradition. Thich Phap Hoa has been doing a video series (in Vietnamese) on the text for the past couple of years; he's on video 40-something, last I checked.
:buddha1: Nam mô A di đà Phật :buddha1:
:bow: Nam mô Quan Thế Âm Bồ tát :bow:
:bow: Nam mô Đại Thế Chi Bồ Tát :bow:

:buddha1: Nam mô Bổn sư Thích ca mâu ni Phật :buddha1:
:bow: Nam mô Di lặc Bồ tát :bow:
:bow: Nam mô Địa tạng vương Bồ tát :bow:
jet.urgyen

Post by jet.urgyen »

Sentient Light wrote: Wed Mar 14, 2018 4:00 pm
Zhen Li wrote: Wed Mar 14, 2018 6:43 am Sutra on Upasaka Precepts
This text is hugely important in my tradition. Thich Phap Hoa has been doing a video series (in Vietnamese) on the text for the past couple of years; he's on video 40-something, last I checked.
this is lays precepts, thanks!

jet.urgyen

Post by jet.urgyen »

javier.espinoza.t wrote: Wed Mar 14, 2018 11:17 am
Vasana wrote: Wed Mar 14, 2018 10:30 am The Treasury of Knowledge: Buddhist Ethics v. 5 by Jamgon Kongtrul Rinpoche.

Found it, i will read some now
Thank you
pretty work. got a copy and it seems clearly structured. hope i understand it well! :twothumbsup:

Return to “Mahāyāna Buddhism”