Is there a karmic problem between me and the teacher ?

General forum on the teachings of all schools of Mahayana and Vajrayana Buddhism. Topics specific to one school are best posted in the appropriate sub-forum.
MatthewAngby

Is there a karmic problem between me and the teacher ?

Post by MatthewAngby »

Hello. I have been regularly going to a dharma centre these few weeks. However I have a rather odd situation with the abbot there. It would always seem that my consultation with him would always be cut short by circumstances, almost every time. One time , we had to cut short our time because a Buddha statue was coming to the monastery. The other time was because he had to do something first. It always seem I cannot fully talk with him on the questions regarding dharma because of circumstances ( almost every single damn time ). So do you think it might be because of a karmic connection thing or what? Should I change to a different lineage? Or is he merely subtly helping me with some things I am unaware of spiritually.

( I’m a TB , so perhaps that might help .)

Thanks!
Vasana

Re: Is there a karmic problem between me and the teacher ?

Post by Vasana »

Just be patient and in the mean time make pure aspirations with bodhichitta to be able to meet with the dharma and to always have meaningful encounters with all seniors and spiritual friends who are qualified to teach this dharma.

There are many teachers who would flat out refuse to see a capable student multiple times to see if they were really commited to the path. Consider yourself fortunate that they're really just busy and that you can practice patience, strengthen your motivation and make aspirations in the mean time!
'When thoughts arise, recognise them clearly as your teacher'— Gampopa
'When alone, examine your mind, when among others, examine your speech'.— Atisha
PadmaVonSamba

Post by PadmaVonSamba »

Sometimes people are just busy.
Sometimes the teacher knows that you need to think about your questions more.

I'll tell you, I'm in a line of work where clients come in with all sorts of vague ideas about what they need, and after a while, you can tell which ones really have something specific and which ones are not even going to listen to you, they only want someone to listen to them talk. And there are those who just need a little help identifying exactly what they need, and so on. So, I can tell which clients I need to prioritize, and which ones can wait.

Of course, this may or may not not relate at all to your situation, but I'm just mentioning it because teachers who deal with a lot of students may intentionally put some "on hold" for a while, because sometimes the student just needs more time and they will figure out the answer, or at least, really get down to the essence of the question.

My suggestion, and I think this is practical, is to write down on paper exactly what it is that you want to ask your teacher.
Doing this will firm up the question in your own mind, and your teacher will be able to tune into that.
EMPTIFUL.
An inward outlook produces outward insight.
DiamondMeru

Post by DiamondMeru »

They say, “When you are ready a teacher will come.” Perhaps you are not ready? Perhaps the teacher is not ready. Just be patient, these things generally work,out in time.
Ogyen

Post by Ogyen »

Does he do email or phone?
Image Made from 100% recycled karma

The Heart Drive - nosce te ipsum

"To love. To be loved. To never forget your own insignificance. To never get used to the unspeakable violence and the vulgar disparity of life around you. To seek joy in the saddest places. To pursue beauty to its lair. To never simplify what is complicated or complicate what is simple. To respect strength, never power. Above all, to watch. To try and understand. To never look away. And never, never, to forget." –Arundhati Roy
Grigoris
Former staff member

Post by Grigoris »

If your behaviour with your teacher is anything like your behaviour here, then I imagine you are taking up an inordinate portion of their time and just frustrating your teacher with countless pointless questions. :tongue:

Go to the lectures and ask relevant questions when they allow for them and only bug the teacher personally when it comes to clarification around points of your personal practice.
"My religion is not deceiving myself."
Jetsun Milarepa 1052-1135 CE

"Butchers, prostitutes, those guilty of the five most heinous crimes, outcasts, the underprivileged: all are utterly the substance of existence and nothing other than total bliss."
The Supreme Source - The Kunjed Gyalpo
The Fundamental Tantra of Dzogchen Semde

Return to “Mahāyāna Buddhism”