Arrogance

General forum on the teachings of all schools of Mahayana and Vajrayana Buddhism. Topics specific to one school are best posted in the appropriate sub-forum.
R.J. Forbes

Re: Arrogance

Post by R.J. Forbes »

A real sense of your true nature, which is the same as others true nature, generates humility. Seeing the Buddha in all you meet makes it impossible to be arrogant. There is something that one should be cautious of and that is arrogance can be a result of practice; you may start be see yourself as a 'spiritual' being, practicing and becoming enlightened and such, and this can make you feel superior to others who are not so 'spiritual'. Ego can be very cunning, using practice, the very thing suppose to diminish it, and use it to make itself stronger. :thanks:
dzogchungpa

Post by dzogchungpa »

One of the best methods is to spend time with a realized teacher.
There is not only nothingness because there is always, and always can manifest. - Thinley Norbu Rinpoche
Natan

Post by Natan »

javier.espinoza.t wrote: Sun Jun 03, 2018 2:48 am Hello all,

How one's arrogance can be anihilated? There are many methods for diminish it, but still, ¿how can it be totally annihilated?
Vajrayana doesn’t abandon the five poisons.
Vajra fangs deliver vajra venom to your Mara body.
Sherab Rigdrol

Post by Sherab Rigdrol »

Spend your free time around the severely mentally ill, developmentally disabled, homeless and people in hospice. Let them seep into your heart until they haunt you.

As far as I can tell being a Buddhist in the west is the best way to increase your arrogance so balance it out with some REAL people. It works.
Schrödinger’s Yidam

Post by Schrödinger’s Yidam »

Crazywisdom wrote: Wed Jul 04, 2018 9:22 pm
No, actually it does. Even in Vajrayana the poisons as such are to be abandoned. The confusion comes from not understanding the opportunity to transform the poisons into medicine (corresponding wisdom). But if somebody is not able to do that, and the poisons remain poisons, then they are to be abandoned still.

A good analogy is snake bite medicine. It is made from snake venom, but has been transformed into medicine. So it is appropriate to get the medicine if you’ve been bitten. The last thing you’d want to do is have some nit wit inject you with more poison!
1.The problem isn’t ‘ignorance’. The problem is the mind you have right now. (H.H. Karmapa XVII @NYC 2/4/18)
2. I support Mingyur R and HHDL in their positions against lama abuse.
3. Student: Lama, I thought I might die but then I realized that the 3 Jewels would protect me.
Lama: Even If you had died the 3 Jewels would still have protected you. (DW post by Fortyeightvows)
Natan

Post by Natan »

smcj wrote: Wed Jul 04, 2018 9:43 pm
Crazywisdom wrote: Wed Jul 04, 2018 9:22 pm
No, actually it does. Even in Vajrayana the poisons as such are to be abandoned. The confusion comes from not understanding the opportunity to transform the poisons into medicine (corresponding wisdom). But if somebody is not able to do that, and the poisons remain poisons, then they are to be abandoned still.

A good analogy is snake bite medicine. It is made from snake venom, but has been transformed into medicine. So it is appropriate to get the medicine if you’ve been bitten. The last thing you’d want to do is have some nit wit inject you with more poison!
No. Actually it does not abandon them. A practitioner of vajrayana should be passionate to transform. Or in this case, haughty. In fact, one should have great pride in oneself as the deity. But these are secret samayas. Maybe better not to discuss.just should add the poisons ha be the nature of primordial wisdom.
Vajra fangs deliver vajra venom to your Mara body.
Schrödinger’s Yidam

No. Actually it does not abandon them. A practitioner of vajrayana should be passionate to transform.
Well, yeah. But that’s not the same as indulging in the poisons.
1.The problem isn’t ‘ignorance’. The problem is the mind you have right now. (H.H. Karmapa XVII @NYC 2/4/18)
3. Student: Lama, I thought I might die but then I realized that the 3 Jewels would protect me.
Lama: Even If you had died the 3 Jewels would still have protected you. (DW post by Fortyeightvows)
dzogchungpa

Post by dzogchungpa »

Well, one thing Vajrayana definitely does not abandon is argumentativeness.
There is not only nothingness because there is always, and always can manifest. - Thinley Norbu Rinpoche
Schrödinger’s Yidam

Hey, watchit. ‘sides, I’ve always self-identified as a lower yana practitioner.
:rolleye:

Return to “Mahāyāna Buddhism”