dependent co-arising and the cessation of suffering

General forum on the teachings of all schools of Mahayana and Vajrayana Buddhism. Topics specific to one school are best posted in the appropriate sub-forum.
Wayfarer
Former staff member

Re: dependent co-arising and the cessation of suffering

Post by Wayfarer »

Clyde wrote:In researching “sankhara” I found this essay by Bhikkhu Bodhi, Anicca Vata Sankhara (“Impermanent, alas, are all formations!”) which defines and explores the term.
Right. The Sanskrit is saṃskāra. When I first stayed on an ashram, decades back, chocolate bars and cigarettes [among other things] were referred to as ‘saṃskāras’. Saṃskāra has sometimes been translated as ‘habit’ - but it’s more far-reaching than that word often conveys, as it is includes deep-rooted tendencies and ways of seeing and reacting. But I still think I prefer ‘habits’ to ‘fabrications’ or ‘formations’, although the latter is indeed a fairly obvious synonym for ‘habit’. [Although it’s interesting that the customary garb of a Christian monk is called a ‘habit’. :smile: ]
'Only practice with no gaining idea' ~ Suzuki Roshi
R.J. Forbes

Re: dependent co-arising and the cessation of suffering

Post by R.J. Forbes »

Dependent co-arising leads to the diminishing and perhaps even the end of a belief in a concrete, persistent self. If you have no 'self' sort of speak - then who is it that suffers? :thanks: be a light unto thy self

Return to “Mahāyāna Buddhism”