Taking precepts?

General forum on the teachings of all schools of Mahayana and Vajrayana Buddhism. Topics specific to one school are best posted in the appropriate sub-forum.
Könchok Thrinley
Former staff member

Taking precepts?

Post by Könchok Thrinley »

Hi,

what are the ways of taking precepts? What if one wants to stop drinking and wants to take a vow to stop drinking. How can one go about it?
“Observing samaya involves to remain inseparable from the union of wisdom and compassion at all times, to sustain mindfulness, and to put into practice the guru’s instructions”. Garchen Rinpoche

For those who do virtuous actions,
goodness is what comes to pass.
For those who do non-virtuous actions,
that becomes suffering indeed.

- Arya Sanghata Sutra
Josef

Re: Taking precepts?

Post by Josef »

Miroku wrote: Sun Jul 01, 2018 6:01 pm Hi,

what are the ways of taking precepts? What if one wants to stop drinking and wants to take a vow to stop drinking. How can one go about it?
You can take the precepts from a master or senior practitioner.
If you wish to take a specific vow to renounce alcohol you can invoke the buddhas and bodhisattvas and sincerely vow to break your drinking habit in their presence.
"All phenomena of samsara depend on the mind, so when the essence of mind is purified, samsara is purified. Since the phenomena of nirvana depend on the pristine consciousness of vidyā, because one remains in the immediacy of vidyā, buddhahood arises on its own. All critical points are summarized with those two." - Longchenpa
Könchok Thrinley
Former staff member

Josef wrote: Sun Jul 01, 2018 9:59 pm

If you wish to take a specific vow to renounce alcohol you can invoke the buddhas and bodhisattvas and sincerely vow to break your drinking habit in their presence.
So it can also be done infront of a visualized refuge tree?
“Observing samaya involves to remain inseparable from the union of wisdom and compassion at all times, to sustain mindfulness, and to put into practice the guru’s instructions”. Garchen Rinpoche

- Arya Sanghata Sutra
SunWuKong

Post by SunWuKong »

I wanted to share this with everyone. If the suggestion applies to you, apply it. If it doesn't, it's not meant for you or its simply not a good fit.

What I've learned is there is a gap between stimulus and response, if you center your inquiry right there, where craving is "needing" your immediate action, and break down the manifestation of it into the thoughts, feelings, bodily sensations, as well as everything you know in relationship to your path, you'll see the craving will deconstruct, and you'll be able to look at the thoughts and feelings objectively, i.e., they are misrepresentations of what you know. You might tell yourself "you'll feel better if..." but in reality you can see the karmic effect, what this action causes, is quite the reverse. It's making you worse. Liberation relies totally on being able to grasp the truth as you occupy this gap. Period.

You cannot separate the Dragon which guards the Dharma Jewel from it. Either you fall in line with it or you don't. But even seeing clearly that you don't is useful, because you are grasping at the truth, and if you try, the truth will prevail.

Hope this helps! If not please delete!! CIAO
"We are magical animals that roam" ~ Roam
Josef

Post by Josef »

Miroku wrote: Mon Jul 02, 2018 9:47 am
Josef wrote: Sun Jul 01, 2018 9:59 pm

So it can also be done infront of a visualized refuge tree?
Yes, for this kind of vow.
"All phenomena of samsara depend on the mind, so when the essence of mind is purified, samsara is purified. Since the phenomena of nirvana depend on the pristine consciousness of vidyā, because one remains in the immediacy of vidyā, buddhahood arises on its own. All critical points are summarized with those two." - Longchenpa
shaunc

Post by shaunc »

Buddhism and meditation can both help to a certain extent with alcoholism but I'd recommend a detox centre first and attending AA meetings on a regular basis.
I've been sober for 30 years, not wanting to blow my own trumpet, but form on the board has to count for something.
Good luck and best wishes.
Namu Amida Butsu.
Könchok Thrinley
Former staff member

shaunc wrote: Tue Jul 03, 2018 12:36 am Buddhism and meditation can both help to a certain extent with alcoholism but I'd recommend a detox centre first and attending AA meetings on a regular basis.
I've been sober for 30 years, not wanting to blow my own trumpet, but form on the board has to count for something.
Good luck and best wishes.
Namu Amida Butsu.
Yes sure. But wanting alcohol out of ones life and having trouble does not neccessarily mean alcoholism. :D Detox and AA meatings are for alcoholics. Vows and meditation are helpful for those who either are not quite there yet or who just no longer want to drink but know they do not have the will neccessary so vow is a good way to inforce something.

But big congrats to your sobriety. :smile:

- Arya Sanghata Sutra
shaunc

Post by shaunc »

Sorry. I thought that you were referring to a serious drinking problem (alcoholism),my mistake.
Könchok Thrinley
Former staff member

shaunc wrote: Tue Jul 03, 2018 9:20 am Sorry. I thought that you were referring to a serious drinking problem (alcoholism),my mistake.
No I am sorry, should have been more clear. Still thank you, maybe someone in the future will need to read that. :D

- Arya Sanghata Sutra
Motova

Post by Motova »

Don't we receive the precepts when we receive empowerments?
To become a rain man one must master the ten virtues and sciences.
Josef

Post by Josef »

Motova wrote: Tue Jul 03, 2018 6:32 pm

Don't we receive the precepts when we receive empowerments?
Yes, all three sets.
gingercatni

Post by gingercatni »

Its very easy, in front of a Buddha image recite:

I undertake the rule of training to refrain from killing living creatures.
I undertake the rule of trianing to refrain from taking what is not given.
I undertake the rule of training to refrain wrong conduct in sexual pleasures.
I undertake the rule of training to refrain from false speech.
I undertake the rule of training to refrain distilled and fermented intoxicants.

:namaste:

Return to “Mahāyāna Buddhism”