Purify a disease

General forum on the teachings of all schools of Mahayana and Vajrayana Buddhism. Topics specific to one school are best posted in the appropriate sub-forum.
Norden
Posts: 79
Joined: Sun Jun 19, 2011 8:31 am

Purify a disease

Post by Norden » Fri Jul 06, 2018 9:01 am

Hi all,

The story is long, so let's just straight to the meat of the question.
Some time ago someone in an improper manner said to me, "you are a leper". I don't have leprosy but I am kind of fear I will develop the disease. Who knows I had committed something unwholesome in the past life that will have the fruit of leprosy in this or next life. The question is nice and short, what particular wholesome deed do I need to do to neutralize or counteract this particular disease, if any? Thanks

Miroku
Posts: 790
Joined: Fri Jul 24, 2015 11:18 am

Re: Purify a disease

Post by Miroku » Fri Jul 06, 2018 9:47 am

Norden wrote:
Fri Jul 06, 2018 9:01 am
Hi all,

The story is long, so let's just straight to the meat of the question.
Some time ago someone in an improper manner said to me, "you are a leper". I don't have leprosy but I am kind of fear I will develop the disease. Who knows I had committed something unwholesome in the past life that will have the fruit of leprosy in this or next life. The question is nice and short, what particular wholesome deed do I need to do to neutralize or counteract this particular disease, if any? Thanks
Hi, if you are from a developed world then there is no need to fear leprosy. If you have some real reason to fear it. Go to your doctor. If not relax. I think that the best wholesome action to take in order to not get leprosy is to avoid lepers.
Child, if you are not hypocritical and out of control, that is conduct.
~ Padampa Sangye

You say such clever things to people, but you do not apply them to yourself.
The faults within you are the ones to be exposed.
~ Padampa Sangye

User avatar
Grigoris
Global Moderator
Posts: 17687
Joined: Fri May 14, 2010 9:27 pm
Location: Greece

Re: Purify a disease

Post by Grigoris » Fri Jul 06, 2018 10:12 am

Our health comes from giving health to others.

Medicine Buddha practice with dedication of merit to the sick.

You can recite the Sutra and Dharani without empowerments etc...

https://www.buddhanet.net/pdf_file/medbudsutra.pdf

You could also donate money and/or time to health facilities (hospitals, clinics, etc...), help them with fundraising, etc...
"My religion is not deceiving myself."
Jetsun Milarepa 1052-1135 CE

"Butchers, prostitutes, those guilty of the five most heinous crimes, outcasts, the underprivileged: all are utterly the substance of existence and nothing other than total bliss."
The Supreme Source - The Kunjed Gyalpo
The Fundamental Tantra of Dzogchen Semde

muni
Posts: 4530
Joined: Fri Apr 17, 2009 6:59 am

Re: Purify a disease

Post by muni » Fri Jul 06, 2018 10:51 am

Norden wrote:
Fri Jul 06, 2018 9:01 am
Hi all,

The story is long, so let's just straight to the meat of the question.
Some time ago someone in an improper manner said to me, "you are a leper". I don't have leprosy but I am kind of fear I will develop the disease. Who knows I had committed something unwholesome in the past life that will have the fruit of leprosy in this or next life. The question is nice and short, what particular wholesome deed do I need to do to neutralize or counteract this particular disease, if any? Thanks
Please, don't be afraid. It is not sure when you touch them you get it as well. Bear in mind that many of them got treatment, even damage is left.

These poor people need care very much, you can ask them if they got the necessary medical care ( antibiotics..) and in case not, help them come in contact with a medicine in your possible way. Most people are warned for the first signs ( spots ) and go then to the doctor, by which nerve damage will not happen.

There is treatment possible, Nordon. Be well and please care for them.

https://www.cdc.gov/leprosy/treatment/index.html
Last edited by muni on Fri Jul 06, 2018 10:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
“ Only the development of compassion and understanding for others can bring us the tranquility and happiness we all seek. ”
H H Dalai Lama

"Relax." nirvana-samsara do not stray from spaciousness.

User avatar
Mantrik
Posts: 1669
Joined: Sun Apr 09, 2017 8:55 pm
Contact:

Re: Purify a disease

Post by Mantrik » Fri Jul 06, 2018 10:52 am

If you feel you need a practice as protection then:

One which is easily accessible is the Black Garuda practice from the Gelugpa school. Lama Yeshe Wisdom Archive is a good place to start.

However, since it is the Nagas who may be responsible for leprosy, making regular offerings to the Nagas is a good idea. In the Vajrayana, there are specific days which are more favourable for doing this.
This is a relatively easy thing to learn.
http://www.khyung.com

Om Thathpurushaya Vidhmahe
Suvarna Pakshaya Dheemahe
Thanno Garuda Prachodayath

Micchāmi Dukkaḍaṃ (मिच्छामि दुक्कडम्)

amanitamusc
Posts: 1340
Joined: Mon Nov 08, 2010 3:32 am

Re: Purify a disease

Post by amanitamusc » Fri Jul 06, 2018 1:10 pm

Norden wrote:
Fri Jul 06, 2018 9:01 am
Hi all,

The story is long, so let's just straight to the meat of the question.
Some time ago someone in an improper manner said to me, "you are a leper". I don't have leprosy but I am kind of fear I will develop the disease. Who knows I had committed something unwholesome in the past life that will have the fruit of leprosy in this or next life. The question is nice and short, what particular wholesome deed do I need to do to neutralize or counteract this particular disease, if any? Thanks
What country do you live in?

User avatar
如傑優婆塞
Posts: 46
Joined: Wed Jun 20, 2018 3:47 pm

Re: Purify a disease

Post by 如傑優婆塞 » Fri Jul 06, 2018 2:49 pm

There's this that is worth a read...Oh and this is another one worthy of your entrustment and practice...

Norden
Posts: 79
Joined: Sun Jun 19, 2011 8:31 am

Re: Purify a disease

Post by Norden » Sat Jul 07, 2018 11:02 am

Hi guys,

thanks for your reply. It's not that ordinary leprosy that I'm afraid of but rather the leprosy caused by kamma or something like that, a disease or illness that is caused by curse or bad energy.

I was involved in a temple quite a while ago, I felt I was treated differently but I still kept going anyway. Until one day I found my personal problem that I used to consult with the monastic member there spread to other people. I never told other people but they knew my problem. One day I went to a website of a temple that has the same ethnicity of the temple I used to visit regularly.

I read my personal story there on the website, it was my story I knew it. I kept reading it until last paragraph it said " this guy is a leper". I have no leprosy. I do not know who put that on their website. I thought this statement was like cursing or something like that but later it got me thinking about this disease.

Since we have been in samsara for unimaginably long, how do we know what type of good or bad deeds we have done? So it's possible we have committed unwholesome deed that the fruit of that deed is leprosy. I'm thinking what particular of wholesome deed do I have to do to counteract this specific disease? For example, in the Sutra it's often said if you want to avoid poorness then you have to perform dana or generosity, generosity is the antidote. The karma of having long life is to refrain from killing, saving lives, etc. So I'm wondering what is the antidote of karma of leprosy?

Appreciate for those who have suggested me to do some rituals or chanting but what I mean is actual wholesome deed as mentioned above. Thanks again.

User avatar
Aryjna
Posts: 1025
Joined: Mon Mar 27, 2017 12:45 pm

Re: Purify a disease

Post by Aryjna » Sat Jul 07, 2018 11:28 am

Norden wrote:
Sat Jul 07, 2018 11:02 am
Hi guys,

thanks for your reply. It's not that ordinary leprosy that I'm afraid of but rather the leprosy caused by kamma or something like that, a disease or illness that is caused by curse or bad energy.

I was involved in a temple quite a while ago, I felt I was treated differently but I still kept going anyway. Until one day I found my personal problem that I used to consult with the monastic member there spread to other people. I never told other people but they knew my problem. One day I went to a website of a temple that has the same ethnicity of the temple I used to visit regularly.

I read my personal story there on the website, it was my story I knew it. I kept reading it until last paragraph it said " this guy is a leper". I have no leprosy. I do not know who put that on their website. I thought this statement was like cursing or something like that but later it got me thinking about this disease.

Since we have been in samsara for unimaginably long, how do we know what type of good or bad deeds we have done? So it's possible we have committed unwholesome deed that the fruit of that deed is leprosy. I'm thinking what particular of wholesome deed do I have to do to counteract this specific disease? For example, in the Sutra it's often said if you want to avoid poorness then you have to perform dana or generosity, generosity is the antidote. The karma of having long life is to refrain from killing, saving lives, etc. So I'm wondering what is the antidote of karma of leprosy?

Appreciate for those who have suggested me to do some rituals or chanting but what I mean is actual wholesome deed as mentioned above. Thanks again.
Curses and magic are useless against someone who practices the Mahayana properly. Leprosy by itself is nothing compared to the suffering in the lower realms. My opinion is that the best thing to do is practice as best as one can according to one's teachers/school of choice. The rest takes care of itself, as karma is rapidly purified and merit accumulated.

Edit: adding some relevant verses from the Bodhicaryavatara:
(9) The moment miserable beings bound in the prison
Of uncontrollably recurring samsara develop a bodhichitta aim,
They’re called spiritual offspring of the Blissfully Gone
And become figures to be honored by the gods of this world,
as well as by men.

(10) Like the supreme creation of a gold-making elixir,
This unclean body, having been taken, will be transformed
Into the priceless gem of a Triumphant One’s body.
So, firmly gain hold of what’s known as bodhichitta.

(11) Since the immeasurable mind of the sole Navigator for wandering beings
Has (seen) its precious worth upon examining fully;
Please, anyone wishing to be parted from the plights of wandering beings:
Gain hold, truly firmly, of (this) gem, bodhichitta.

(12) Everything else that’s constructive resembles the plantain tree:
Having given birth to its fruit, it’s depleted.
But the tree of bodhichitta forever bears fruit
And, never depleted, it grows ever more.

(13) Even if they’ve committed extremely unbearable negative acts,
Why don’t the caring rely on that
Which, when relied on, will instantly free them,
Like relying on a hero when greatly afraid.

(14) Like the time-ending fires, it burns off with certainty,
In an instant, enormous negative karmic force.
With wisdom, the Guardian Maitreya has explained
Its fathomless benefits to Sudhana.

User avatar
SonamTashi
Posts: 109
Joined: Mon Jan 02, 2017 7:30 pm

Re: Purify a disease

Post by SonamTashi » Sat Jul 07, 2018 12:18 pm

It sounds like they were claiming you were a disease on the sangha, or that your presence was having a negative affect on the group, rather than literally saying you have leprosy or cursing you with the disease. I have no way of knowing whether that is true or not or if there was something else going on. If the sangha and the teachers there are legit, then instead of focusing on the disease, maybe you should try to determine if there was anything you did or said that might have made them react this way.
:bow: :buddha1: :bow: :anjali: :meditate:

User avatar
Mantrik
Posts: 1669
Joined: Sun Apr 09, 2017 8:55 pm
Contact:

Re: Purify a disease

Post by Mantrik » Sat Jul 07, 2018 1:19 pm

Norden wrote:
Sat Jul 07, 2018 11:02 am

I read my personal story there on the website, it was my story I knew it. I kept reading it until last paragraph it said " this guy is a leper". I have no leprosy. I do not know who put that on their website. I thought this statement was like cursing or something like that but later it got me thinking about this disease.
Ah, that makes more sense.
They just mean that you are an outcast and someone to be avoided.
It is a common phrase and no indicaiton of any link to a curse or disease, just that the person dislikes you.
http://www.khyung.com

Om Thathpurushaya Vidhmahe
Suvarna Pakshaya Dheemahe
Thanno Garuda Prachodayath

Micchāmi Dukkaḍaṃ (मिच्छामि दुक्कडम्)

User avatar
Aryjna
Posts: 1025
Joined: Mon Mar 27, 2017 12:45 pm

Re: Purify a disease

Post by Aryjna » Sat Jul 07, 2018 2:17 pm

SonamTashi wrote:
Sat Jul 07, 2018 12:18 pm
It sounds like they were claiming you were a disease on the sangha, or that your presence was having a negative affect on the group, rather than literally saying you have leprosy or cursing you with the disease. I have no way of knowing whether that is true or not or if there was something else going on. If the sangha and the teachers there are legit, then instead of focusing on the disease, maybe you should try to determine if there was anything you did or said that might have made them react this way.
I doubt that posting things like that online for someone attending your dharma center can be justified in any case.

User avatar
Astus
Former staff member
Posts: 7041
Joined: Tue Feb 23, 2010 11:22 pm
Location: Budapest

Re: Purify a disease

Post by Astus » Sat Jul 07, 2018 2:21 pm

Norden wrote:
Fri Jul 06, 2018 9:01 am
I am kind of fear I will develop the disease
It seems that the disease you actually have is fear, so what could be treated is fear.
what particular wholesome deed do I need to do to neutralize or counteract this particular disease, if any?
You might want to look into some teachings on karma first: Lonaphala Sutta, Devadaha Sutta, Cula-dukkhakkhandha Sutta.

"The result of kamma is an inconceivable matter that one should not try to conceive; one who tries to conceive it would reap either madness or frustration."
(AN 4.77, tr Bodhi)
1 Myriad dharmas are only mind.
Mind is unobtainable.
What is there to seek?

2 If the Buddha-Nature is seen,
there will be no seeing of a nature in any thing.

3 Neither cultivation nor seated meditation —
this is the pure Chan of Tathagata.

4 With sudden enlightenment to Tathagata Chan,
the six paramitas and myriad means
are complete within that essence.


1 Huangbo, T2012Ap381c1 2 Nirvana Sutra, T374p521b3; tr. Yamamoto 3 Mazu, X1321p3b23; tr. J. Jia 4 Yongjia, T2014p395c14; tr. from "The Sword of Wisdom"

Norden
Posts: 79
Joined: Sun Jun 19, 2011 8:31 am

Re: Purify a disease

Post by Norden » Sun Jul 08, 2018 4:52 pm

SonamTashi wrote:
Sat Jul 07, 2018 12:18 pm
maybe you should try to determine if there was anything you did or said that might have made them react this way.
I said nothing but consulted my personal life problem that had nothing to do with disease or illness. I thought it's perfectly normal for lay people to consult their problems with monks.
Anyway, I posted this question on Mahayana forum because I just want to know what wholesome deed I need to do from Mahayana perspective, that's it.

Norden
Posts: 79
Joined: Sun Jun 19, 2011 8:31 am

Re: Purify a disease

Post by Norden » Sun Jul 08, 2018 5:32 pm

Astus wrote:
Sat Jul 07, 2018 2:21 pm
Norden wrote:
Fri Jul 06, 2018 9:01 am
I am kind of fear I will develop the disease
It seems that the disease you actually have is fear, so what could be treated is fear.
what particular wholesome deed do I need to do to neutralize or counteract this particular disease, if any?
You might want to look into some teachings on karma first: Lonaphala Sutta, Devadaha Sutta, Cula-dukkhakkhandha Sutta.

"The result of kamma is an inconceivable matter that one should not try to conceive; one who tries to conceive it would reap either madness or frustration."
(AN 4.77, tr Bodhi)
If we do not know the precise cause and result, can we at least know the general idea? For example, it's often said in the Sutra that short-life is the result of killing, become poor is the result of stinginess or stealing. In other words the antidote of short-life is to refrain from killing or saving lives, I think the cause and effect is pretty much straightforward, if you shorten the life of others, your life is also shortened. Is that right? Then why in order to counteract the karma of leper is inconceivable?
Last edited by Norden on Sun Jul 08, 2018 5:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Norden
Posts: 79
Joined: Sun Jun 19, 2011 8:31 am

Re: Purify a disease

Post by Norden » Sun Jul 08, 2018 5:52 pm

Mantrik wrote:
Sat Jul 07, 2018 1:19 pm
Norden wrote:
Sat Jul 07, 2018 11:02 am

I read my personal story there on the website, it was my story I knew it. I kept reading it until last paragraph it said " this guy is a leper". I have no leprosy. I do not know who put that on their website. I thought this statement was like cursing or something like that but later it got me thinking about this disease.
Ah, that makes more sense.
They just mean that you are an outcast and someone to be avoided.
It is a common phrase and no indicaiton of any link to a curse or disease, just that the person dislikes you.
But do you think it also depends on the culture, some culture maybe use it figuratively, some other culture maybe use it for cursing? How can we be sure?

User avatar
Mantrik
Posts: 1669
Joined: Sun Apr 09, 2017 8:55 pm
Contact:

Re: Purify a disease

Post by Mantrik » Sun Jul 08, 2018 5:56 pm

Norden wrote:
Sun Jul 08, 2018 5:52 pm
Mantrik wrote:
Sat Jul 07, 2018 1:19 pm
Norden wrote:
Sat Jul 07, 2018 11:02 am

I read my personal story there on the website, it was my story I knew it. I kept reading it until last paragraph it said " this guy is a leper". I have no leprosy. I do not know who put that on their website. I thought this statement was like cursing or something like that but later it got me thinking about this disease.
Ah, that makes more sense.
They just mean that you are an outcast and someone to be avoided.
It is a common phrase and no indicaiton of any link to a curse or disease, just that the person dislikes you.
But do you think it also depends on the culture, some culture maybe use it figuratively, some other culture maybe use it for cursing? How can we be sure?
Yes, I can only guess from my own English cultural perspective. Think I've heard it used that way in India also.
http://www.khyung.com

Om Thathpurushaya Vidhmahe
Suvarna Pakshaya Dheemahe
Thanno Garuda Prachodayath

Micchāmi Dukkaḍaṃ (मिच्छामि दुक्कडम्)

User avatar
Astus
Former staff member
Posts: 7041
Joined: Tue Feb 23, 2010 11:22 pm
Location: Budapest

Re: Purify a disease

Post by Astus » Sun Jul 08, 2018 9:29 pm

Norden wrote:
Sun Jul 08, 2018 5:32 pm
If we do not know the precise cause and result, can we at least know the general idea?
Of course, there are such descriptions, see: Cula-kammavibhanga Sutta
Then why in order to counteract the karma of leper is inconceivable?
What's already done is done, it cannot be changed. What one can do is to avoid repeating the same, thus reaping the results again.
1 Myriad dharmas are only mind.
Mind is unobtainable.
What is there to seek?

2 If the Buddha-Nature is seen,
there will be no seeing of a nature in any thing.

3 Neither cultivation nor seated meditation —
this is the pure Chan of Tathagata.

4 With sudden enlightenment to Tathagata Chan,
the six paramitas and myriad means
are complete within that essence.


1 Huangbo, T2012Ap381c1 2 Nirvana Sutra, T374p521b3; tr. Yamamoto 3 Mazu, X1321p3b23; tr. J. Jia 4 Yongjia, T2014p395c14; tr. from "The Sword of Wisdom"

kausalya
Posts: 186
Joined: Tue Jun 26, 2018 4:52 pm

Re: Purify a disease

Post by kausalya » Mon Jul 09, 2018 2:28 am

Norden wrote:
Fri Jul 06, 2018 9:01 am
Some time ago someone in an improper manner said to me, "you are a leper". I don't have leprosy but I am kind of fear I will develop the disease. Who knows I had committed something unwholesome in the past life that will have the fruit of leprosy in this or next life. The question is nice and short, what particular wholesome deed do I need to do to neutralize or counteract this particular disease, if any? Thanks
Maybe this is a silly question, but will you have any opportunity to ask the person who called you the name to clarify what they meant?

There could be some benefit in "playing dumb" in this situation -- that is, in case they meant serious harm, you could pretend to have no idea what they're saying, as if it goes completely over your head & you can't understand why someone would say something like that.

Before you finish the conversation, make sure to wish the person well...

Compassion is the wholesome action you're looking for; if they can see that their actions aren't having the desired impact on you, it's likely that they will stop. Even if they don't stop, you need to change the way you perceive this person to stop them from hurting you on any level.

Nothing they say can hurt you unless you react inappropriately to it. In case it helps, you could also envision them as a small child who doesn't know what they're saying. Keep contemplating this way, and maybe your fear will reduce.

My other recommendation, only if it suits you, is to recite Green Tara's mantra for protection.
"Open sky does not abide, nor do sentient beings."

Norden
Posts: 79
Joined: Sun Jun 19, 2011 8:31 am

Re: Purify a disease

Post by Norden » Mon Jul 09, 2018 5:41 am

Mantrik wrote:
Sun Jul 08, 2018 5:56 pm



Yes, I can only guess from my own English cultural perspective. Think I've heard it used that way in India also.
Figuratively?
It's not India but more about Theravada Buddhist countries such as Thai, Sri Lanka, etc. Does metaphorical use quite common in those cultures, does anyone know?

Post Reply

Return to “Mahāyāna Buddhism”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: clyde, TrimePema, ydnan321 and 33 guests