Purify a disease

General forum on the teachings of all schools of Mahayana and Vajrayana Buddhism. Topics specific to one school are best posted in the appropriate sub-forum.
Norden

Re: Purify a disease

Post by Norden »

Astus wrote: Sun Jul 08, 2018 9:29 pm
Norden wrote: Sun Jul 08, 2018 5:32 pmIf we do not know the precise cause and result, can we at least know the general idea?
Of course, there are such descriptions, see: Cula-kammavibhanga Sutta
What I meant was the general idea of cause and effect of leper. Cula-kammavibhanga talks more about five precepts and the transgressions.
Norden wrote: Sun Jul 08, 2018 5:32 pm Then why in order to counteract the karma of leper is inconceivable?
Astus wrote: Sun Jul 08, 2018 9:29 pm What's already done is done, it cannot be changed. What one can do is to avoid repeating the same, thus reaping the results again.

Since we do not know what type of unwholesome deed causes leper, therefore it's imponderable, is that what you're saying?
Norden

Post by Norden »

kausalya wrote: Mon Jul 09, 2018 2:28 am
Norden wrote: Fri Jul 06, 2018 9:01 am Some time ago someone in an improper manner said to me, "you are a leper". I don't have leprosy but I am kind of fear I will develop the disease. Who knows I had committed something unwholesome in the past life that will have the fruit of leprosy in this or next life. The question is nice and short, what particular wholesome deed do I need to do to neutralize or counteract this particular disease, if any? Thanks
Maybe this is a silly question, but will you have any opportunity to ask the person who called you the name to clarify what they meant?

There could be some benefit in "playing dumb" in this situation -- that is, in case they meant serious harm, you could pretend to have no idea what they're saying, as if it goes completely over your head & you can't understand why someone would say something like that.

Before you finish the conversation, make sure to wish the person well...

Compassion is the wholesome action you're looking for; if they can see that their actions aren't having the desired impact on you, it's likely that they will stop. Even if they don't stop, you need to change the way you perceive this person to stop them from hurting you on any level.

Nothing they say can hurt you unless you react inappropriately to it. In case it helps, you could also envision them as a small child who doesn't know what they're saying. Keep contemplating this way, and maybe your fear will reduce.

My other recommendation, only if it suits you, is to recite Green Tara's mantra for protection.
Thanks for your kind reply.
It was my story that went to this temple, I myself haven't been there at all. I do not know who wrote that writing on their website and the temple is in the different country.
Green Tara mantra maybe helpful but my main practice is Theravada. I used to practice Green Tara mantra long time ago, but I guess if I recite the mantra I will be protected, my concern is to protect me not just in this present life but also would like to know the antidote of the mentioned disease so the protection is not just limited in this very present life.
kausalya

Post by kausalya »

Norden wrote: Mon Jul 09, 2018 5:59 am Thanks for your kind reply.
It was my story that went to this temple, I myself haven't been there at all. I do not know who wrote that writing on their website and the temple is in the different country.
Green Tara mantra maybe helpful but my main practice is Theravada. I used to practice Green Tara mantra long time ago, but I guess if I recite the mantra I will be protected, my concern is to protect me not just in this present life but also would like to know the antidote of the mentioned disease so the protection is not just limited in this very present life.
Contemplate the suffering that someone must be going through in order to feel justified saying that to you... if they truly knew what they were saying, they wouldn't have said it. The karma is theirs, not yours... then maybe compassion will come more easily.

Countless negative acts happen because of the root ignorance, and it doesn't have anything to do with you. You're observing what they said, but it's only as solid as a dream, because it comes from someone who hasn't realized not-self. You can definitely overcome it through this type of analysis. Use your mind, rather than seeking an encyclopedic answer that won't have a personal connection to you.

The disease doesn't have any inherent existence; it's the thought of the disease that's disturbing, so work to understand/deconstruct the thought.

FYI, the protection you'll get from any method of Buddha will follow you into every life, because you're preventing negative karma/removing obscurations from your mind in the process of practicing. Your mind, plus any karmic imprints, is the only thing you take with you when you die.

(Since you're a Theravadin practitioner, you don't need to take what I said about Tara. Instead, read about Acariya Mun, if you like, and his use of the focus-word "Buddho.")
"For as long as space remains,
For as long as sentient beings remain,
Until then may I too remain
To dispel the miseries of the world."
(Shantideva)
Astus
Former staff member

Post by Astus »

Norden wrote: Mon Jul 09, 2018 5:49 amWhat I meant was the general idea of cause and effect of leper. Cula-kammavibhanga talks more about five precepts and the transgressions.
Leprosy is an illness that can turn one ugly, hence look at the causes of those two: anger and ill-temper.
Since we do not know what type of unwholesome deed causes leper, therefore it's imponderable, is that what you're saying?
What that quote says is that it is futile to guess all the consequences of an action. Even if you had the ability to remember your previous lives, you still could not tell what actions would cause what in your present and future lives.
1 Myriad dharmas are only mind.
Mind is unobtainable.
What is there to seek?

2 If the Buddha-Nature is seen,
there will be no seeing of a nature in any thing.

3 Neither cultivation nor seated meditation —
this is the pure Chan of Tathagata.

4 With sudden enlightenment to Tathagata Chan,
the six paramitas and myriad means
are complete within that essence.

1 Huangbo, T2012Ap381c1 2 Nirvana Sutra, T374p521b3; tr. Yamamoto 3 Mazu, X1321p3b23; tr. J. Jia 4 Yongjia, T2014p395c14; tr. from "The Sword of Wisdom"
haha

Post by haha »

Following information may be useful.
Arya Tara is the one who protects others from various fears. Here is a story.
The Golden Rosary a history which illuminates the origin of the Tantras of Tara by Jetsun Taranatha

10. Protection From the Fear of the Disease of Leprosy:
There was once an acharya among the brahmans in the country of Kumarak-
shetra, who, due to his karma, became afflicted with the disease of leprosy. Since
he had gone here and there, from one person to another, some five hundred
brahmans were seized by this terrible disease. Even their own kinsmen and the
local physicians had forsaken them. Transgressing the custom of ritual purity in
vogue among the brahmans, they lived upon leftover food, and went about beg-
ging for alms. Then, by the roadside they saw a stone image of our Lady Arya
Tara and developed faith in her. Since these five hundred brahmans began to
pray to her, a stream of medicine came forth from the hand of the Tara image,
and due to its cleansing their bodies, they were cured of their leprosy. Moreover,
it is said that their bodies became exceedingly beautiful like those of the devas.
You can find bhaisajyaguru sadhana in https://fpmt.org/education/teachings/te ... practices/, it may be helpful to pacify the cause and conditions of you problem.

Return to “Mahāyāna Buddhism”