Overcoming negativity and irritability

General forum on the teachings of all schools of Mahayana and Vajrayana Buddhism. Topics specific to one school are best posted in the appropriate sub-forum.
shanyin

Overcoming negativity and irritability

Post by shanyin »

Hello. What can I practice to overcome my own irritability and negativity?
Johnny Dangerous
Global Moderator

Re: Overcoming negativity and irritability

Post by Johnny Dangerous »

shanyin wrote: Thu Jul 12, 2018 3:33 am Hello. What can I practice to overcome my own irritability and negativity?
As far as antidotes go, the Four Immeasurables is usually considered a good place to start.
Meditate upon Bodhicitta when afflicted by disease

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when sad

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when suffering occurs

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when you are scared

-Khunu Lama
Wayfarer
Former staff member

Post by Wayfarer »

Also try physical conditioning, like fitness, if you’re not already into it. I found in my twenties and thirties that long-distance jogging had a hugely beneficial effect on my emotional state - definitely increased equilibrium. As far as negativity goes - learn through mindfulness/detachment that negative thoughts and feelings will always pass. Don’t let them convince you of their inherent reality, they’re simply transient. That takes persistence and application, but it definitely works.
'Only practice with no gaining idea' ~ Suzuki Roshi
SunWuKong

Post by SunWuKong »

Your meditation will take you to where mind and body non-attach from the identification with the ego, or "self" - usually thats all thats needed, as irritability and negativity are reactions of you ego or self to things going on in the environment or relationships. Non-attachment is pretty much the straight-up practice, but it comes from within, when you settle the turbulence and turmiol, and perceive that self is only an illusion
"We are magical animals that roam" ~ Roam
shanyin

Post by shanyin »

Wayfarer wrote: Thu Jul 12, 2018 7:08 am Also try physical conditioning, like fitness, if you’re not already into it. I found in my twenties and thirties that long-distance jogging had a hugely beneficial effect on my emotional state - definitely increased equilibrium. As far as negativity goes - learn through mindfulness/detachment that negative thoughts and feelings will always pass. Don’t let them convince you of their inherent reality, they’re simply transient. That takes persistence and application, but it definitely works.
Johnny Dangerous wrote: Thu Jul 12, 2018 4:56 am
I am into High intensity interval training on my reclining elliptical bike. Sometimes I feel way better after I do that. The goal is to lose weight but it makes me feel better.
shanyin wrote: Thu Jul 12, 2018 3:33 am Hello. What can I practice to overcome my own irritability and negativity?
As far as antidotes go, the Four Immeasurables is usually considered a good place to start.
I'd like to learn loving kindness meditation.
SunWuKong wrote: Thu Jul 12, 2018 9:45 pm Your meditation will take you to where mind and body non-attach from the identification with the ego, or "self" - usually thats all thats needed, as irritability and negativity are reactions of you ego or self to things going on in the environment or relationships. Non-attachment is pretty much the straight-up practice, but it comes from within, when you settle the turbulence and turmiol, and perceive that self is only an illusion
Thank you.

Return to “Mahāyāna Buddhism”