teaching on training

General forum on the teachings of all schools of Mahayana and Vajrayana Buddhism. Topics specific to one school are best posted in the appropriate sub-forum.
clyde

teaching on training

Post by clyde » Mon Jul 23, 2018 10:11 pm

I have a vague memory of a particular teaching, but I don’t remember where I read it. And since I read a variety of suttas, sutras, and texts from various Buddhist traditions, I’m having difficulty locating it. I tried googling, but without success.

So, perhaps someone here can help and point me to who/where this comes from. I don’t have the exact quote, but the meaning is something like this:

Monks with one year of practice train new monks, monks with two years of practice train monks with one year of practice, . . .
“Enlightenment means to see what harm you are involved in and to renounce it.” David Brazier, The New Buddhism

Matt J

Re: teaching on training

Post by Matt J » Tue Jul 24, 2018 3:41 am

Are you thinking of the advice Thich Nhat Hanh gave Norman Fischer in his article No Teacher of Zen?
"The essence of meditation practice is to let go of all your expectations about meditation. All the qualities of your natural mind -- peace, openness, relaxation, and clarity -- are present in your mind just as it is. You don't have to do anything different. You don't have to shift or change your awareness. All you have to do while observing your mind is to recognize the qualities it already has."
--- Yongey Mingyur Rinpoche

clyde

Re: teaching on training

Post by clyde » Tue Jul 24, 2018 3:56 am

Yes! Thank you.
“Enlightenment means to see what harm you are involved in and to renounce it.” David Brazier, The New Buddhism

Return to “Mahāyāna Buddhism”