Source of Om Mani Padme Hum

General forum on the teachings of all schools of Mahayana and Vajrayana Buddhism. Topics specific to one school are best posted in the appropriate sub-forum.
Malcolm

Source of Om Mani Padme Hum

Post by Malcolm »

Mod Note: Split from "Can Nichiren Buddhists chant "Om mani padme hum" to the Gohonzon?"
dharmapdx wrote: Wed Sep 05, 2018 3:08 am I'm really not trying to be cute here. LOL. Given that this is a Tibetan chant.

No, it is not a "Tibetan" chant. It's source is the Ārya-karaṇḍavyūha-nāma-mahāyāna-sūtra, a sūtra which entered the Chinese canon rather late (983).

More info here:

Author:Studholme, Alexander
Title:The Origins of Oṃ Maṇipadme Huṃ: A Study of the Kāraṇḍavyūha
Publ. Date:2002
Publ. Details:Albany: State University of New York Press
Queequeg
Former staff member

Re: Source of Om Mani Padme Hum

Post by Queequeg »

Malcolm wrote: Wed Sep 05, 2018 5:28 pm
dharmapdx wrote: Wed Sep 05, 2018 3:08 am I'm really not trying to be cute here. LOL. Given that this is a Tibetan chant.

No, it is not a "Tibetan" chant. It's source is the Ārya-karaṇḍavyūha-nāma-mahāyāna-sūtra, a sūtra which entered the Chinese canon rather late (983).

More info here:

Is this one of those texts that made its way to Tibet via China? Or was that text also transmitted directly to Tibet also?

The first place I heard that chant was at Wutaishan.
There is no suffering to be severed. Ignorance and klesas are indivisible from bodhi. There is no cause of suffering to be abandoned. Since extremes and the false are the Middle and genuine, there is no path to be practiced. Samsara is nirvana. No severance achieved. No suffering nor its cause. No path, no end. There is no transcendent realm; there is only the one true aspect. There is nothing separate from the true aspect.
-Guanding, Perfect and Sudden Contemplation,
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Queequeg wrote: Wed Sep 05, 2018 6:16 pm
Malcolm wrote: Wed Sep 05, 2018 5:28 pm

More info here:

Is this one of those texts that made its way to Tibet via China? Or was that text also transmitted directly to Tibet also?

The first place I heard that chant was at Wutaishan.
Direct, translated into Tibetan earlier than China.
Aryjna

Post by Aryjna »

Queequeg
Former staff member

Post by Queequeg »

I've read references to texts translated into Chinese much earlier that make reference to six-syllable dharani associated with the six forms of Avalokitesvara. Are there such texts in the Kangyur?

Is there significance to there being six syllables?

In Japan, the chant I've heard associated with Avalokitesvara is "Namu Kanzeon Bosatsu".
There is no suffering to be severed. Ignorance and klesas are indivisible from bodhi. There is no cause of suffering to be abandoned. Since extremes and the false are the Middle and genuine, there is no path to be practiced. Samsara is nirvana. No severance achieved. No suffering nor its cause. No path, no end. There is no transcendent realm; there is only the one true aspect. There is nothing separate from the true aspect.
-Guanding, Perfect and Sudden Contemplation,
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Queequeg wrote: Wed Sep 05, 2018 7:07 pm I've read references to texts translated into Chinese much earlier that make reference to six-syllable dharani associated with the six forms of Avalokitesvara. Are there such texts in the Kangyur?

Is there significance to there being six syllables?

In Japan, the chant I've heard associated with Avalokitesvara is "Namu Kanzeon Bosatsu".
In general, six syllables stands for the six lokas.

This dharani text was translated from Chinese into Tibetan:

ārya-bodhisattva-avalokiteśvara-sahasra-bhujanetāsaṅga-mahākāruṇika-citta-vistara-paripūrṇa-nāma-dhāraṇī (千手千眼觀世音菩薩廣大圓滿無礙大悲心陀羅尼經)

These dharani texts exist in both Tibetan and Chinese:

ārya-avalokiteśvara-ekadaśamukha-nāma-dhāraṇ (十一面觀世音神呪經)

ārya-avalokiteśvara-hayagrīva-dhāraṇī (陀羅尼集經)

ārya-avalokiteśvara-mātā-nāma-dhāraṇī (觀自在菩薩母陀羅尼經)

ārya-avalokiteśvara-nāma-aṣṭaśataka (聖觀自在菩薩一百八名經)
Virgo

Post by Virgo »

Very interesting.

kevin...
Virgo

Post by Virgo »

Off topic posts removed.

Kevin...
jet.urgyen

Post by jet.urgyen »

Aryjna wrote: Wed Sep 05, 2018 6:50 pm It has been translated recently: http://read.84000.co/translation/UT22084-051-004.html
it is amazing !
true dharma is inexpressible.

The bodhisattva nourishes from bodhicitta, through whatever method the Buddha has given him. Oh joy.

Return to “Mahāyāna Buddhism”