Are sentient beings trapped on their home planet?

General forum on the teachings of all schools of Mahayana and Vajrayana Buddhism. Topics specific to one school are best posted in the appropriate sub-forum.
Boomerang

Are sentient beings trapped on their home planet?

Post by Boomerang »

Mahayana Buddhism teaches that there are countless world systems with countless sentient being, and when Buddhists are explaining how rebirth and population growth fit together, they sometimes mention that it’s possible that beings from other planets have been reborn on Earth. But, are there really scriptures which talk about sentient beings taking rebirth on various planets? I’ve read sutras in which bodhisattvas travel to other world systems, but as of now I’ve never heard about that happening with ordinary people through rebirth. I’ve only heard stories about Earthlings being reborn on Earth.

Maybe I’m unaware of these scriptures because I’m not well read. Can anyone direct be to Buddhist texts which talk about ordinary beings taking rebirth on new planets? Or, do these texts not exist? Are sentient beings trapped on their home planets until they attain enlightenment?
Schrödinger’s Yidam

Re: Are sentient beings trapped on their home planet?

Post by Schrödinger’s Yidam »

Are sentient beings trapped on their home planets until they attain enlightenment?
Nope. If we blow this place up we will have to go somewhere else.

If so I really hope we don’t have to do the equivalent of that interminable dinosaur thing again. That took forever and was a total drag. It would be nice to end up someplace where we have the capacity to practice Dharma straight away.
1.The problem isn’t ‘ignorance’. The problem is the mind you have right now. (H.H. Karmapa XVII @NYC 2/4/18)
2. I support Mingyur R and HHDL in their positions against lama abuse.
3. Student: Lama, I thought I might die but then I realized that the 3 Jewels would protect me.
Lama: Even If you had died the 3 Jewels would still have protected you. (DW post by Fortyeightvows)
Könchok Thrinley
Former staff member

Post by Könchok Thrinley »

smcj wrote: Sat Oct 20, 2018 4:21 am
Are sentient beings trapped on their home planets until they attain enlightenment?
Nope. If we blow this place up we will have to go somewhere else.

If so I really hope we don’t have to do the equivalent of that interminable dinosaur thing again. That took forever and was a total drag. It would be nice to end up someplace where we have the capacity to practice Dharma straight away.
Imagine landing somewhere where statues of strange looking Buddhas and of "our" Buddha Shakyamuni would already be present, because the beings there had contact with dharma. :D
“Observing samaya involves to remain inseparable from the union of wisdom and compassion at all times, to sustain mindfulness, and to put into practice the guru’s instructions”. Garchen Rinpoche

For those who do virtuous actions,
goodness is what comes to pass.
For those who do non-virtuous actions,
that becomes suffering indeed.

- Arya Sanghata Sutra
Aryjna

Post by Aryjna »

Boomerang wrote: Sat Oct 20, 2018 3:30 am Mahayana Buddhism teaches that there are countless world systems with countless sentient being, and when Buddhists are explaining how rebirth and population growth fit together, they sometimes mention that it’s possible that beings from other planets have been reborn on Earth. But, are there really scriptures which talk about sentient beings taking rebirth on various planets? I’ve read sutras in which bodhisattvas travel to other world systems, but as of now I’ve never heard about that happening with ordinary people through rebirth. I’ve only heard stories about Earthlings being reborn on Earth.

Maybe I’m unaware of these scriptures because I’m not well read. Can anyone direct be to Buddhist texts which talk about ordinary beings taking rebirth on new planets? Or, do these texts not exist? Are sentient beings trapped on their home planets until they attain enlightenment?
It goes without saying that this happens. There is an infinite number of beings in an infinite number of worlds, and also in different realms of existence that are not in a physical universe like this one. Cases of transmigration to another universe are mentioned all the time actually, as often it is said in sutras that someone did a good deed and then became a chakravartin in their next life. As a chakravartin is a ruler of an entire universe, obviously it is a different universe than this one.

Return to “Mahāyāna Buddhism”