Bodhicharyavatara - study tips

General forum on the teachings of all schools of Mahayana and Vajrayana Buddhism. Topics specific to one school are best posted in the appropriate sub-forum.
Miroku

Bodhicharyavatara - study tips

Post by Miroku » Fri Nov 16, 2018 11:25 pm

Hi,

I am starting to study the Bodhicharyavatara and would love some tips on how to use the text, study it and etc. Maybe even some pro tips for general Buddhist text study as this is really my first time going for the root and not just reading a book with general dharma teachings.

I am using a Czech version with a commentary from the translator (translated by bikku Dhammadipa), I have a good feeling about the translation as Dhammadipa seems to be quite respected and actually used several versions in different languages to translate the text.
A boat delivers you to the other riverbank.
A needle stitches up your clothes.
A horse takes you where you want to go.
Bodhicitta will bring you to Buddhahood.

~ Khunu Lama Rinpoche

Wayfarer
Global Moderator

Re: Bodhicharyavatara - study tips

Post by Wayfarer » Fri Nov 16, 2018 11:53 pm

Go to http://www.bodhisvara.com/

You find a superb transcribed recitation there.

:namaste:
Only practice with no gaining idea ~ Suzuki Roshi

sangyey

Post by sangyey » Sat Nov 17, 2018 12:55 am

You could try memorizing it.

javier.espinoza.t

Post by javier.espinoza.t » Sat Nov 17, 2018 4:12 am

i have just took a look but seems that the Dalai Lama's commentary does not leave even a single thing without explanation.
what are you doing

Aryjna

Post by Aryjna » Sat Nov 17, 2018 5:00 am

I think it is useful to read it several times and read a few different commentaries. This one is probably considered to be the best and mot exhaustive, out of the ones that have been translated at least: https://www.shambhala.com/the-nectar-of ... -1087.html

Nirveda

Post by Nirveda » Sun Nov 18, 2018 5:25 am

Pema Chodron’s No Time to Lose is actually quite good.

javier.espinoza.t

Post by javier.espinoza.t » Sun Nov 18, 2018 6:33 am

Miroku wrote:
Fri Nov 16, 2018 11:25 pm
Hi,

I am starting to study the Bodhicharyavatara and would love some tips on how to use the text, study it and etc. Maybe even some pro tips for general Buddhist text study as this is really my first time going for the root and not just reading a book with general dharma teachings.

I am using a Czech version with a commentary from the translator (translated by bikku Dhammadipa), I have a good feeling about the translation as Dhammadipa seems to be quite respected and actually used several versions in different languages to translate the text.
if i may say, in this case one should play mahayana integrated within atiyoga, in particular into atiyoga view. now there are three ways to keep up training, not only emptiness. if you ignore this you will get confused because a sort of intelectual contradiction; know that there is trully none but understanding atiyoga as a sigularity, and so reinforcing our ego.

also, you will find together much arrogance and lack of compassion, i suggest one is not to waste our very precious time exhorting those who don't listen. one is also not responsible for that. but act silently, in subtlety.

learn it's substancial meanings but don't limit to textual prescription, mahayana is very much a practical thing at this point.

i know you have not asked such things, but ime and imo, this might be of use.
what are you doing

Return to “Mahāyāna Buddhism”