Why is compassion central to Buddhism?

General forum on the teachings of all schools of Mahayana and Vajrayana Buddhism. Topics specific to one school are best posted in the appropriate sub-forum.
makewhisper

Re: Why is compassion central to Buddhism?

Post by makewhisper »

Bodhicitta is the essence of morality, and so there will never be found a dharma that is not of the bodhicitta.

Because morality is based in the principle of the necessity (ananke) of spontaneous universal liberation, bodhicitta is present to protect those on the path (i.e. all sentient beings without exception). Dharmas incline towards the samyaksambodhi because namarupa is "marked" with the non-dual ease and comfort of the magical net/lasso/hook of Dzogchen-Mahamudra, which exhausts both the wrong views of materialism (matter devoid of consciousness) and solipsism (consciousness devoid of matter), which are equally missing the mark. The point here, is that the mahabhutas of samsara incline towards rescue and deliverance, which implies that there is consciousness in any dharma resting in the increasing expanse of mirror-like wisdom (all dharmas). That is, there is no dharma [gate, if you like] through which one may enter without accomplishing the mandala of the loving non-dual abiding of the Buddhas. The love of the bodhisattvas is best described by the term "agape" in "Western" philosophy, for those who take inspiration from the Western philosophical tradition alongside that of "the East." That non-dual consciousness is the union of the compassionate upaya and the unbounded wisdom of the Buddhas and their bodhisattva heirs. The non-dual consciousness of the union of loving upaya and non-conflictual, wild and playful wisdom IS the supreme Dharma of the victors of the "three" times. This Dharma is not just "compassion" and not just just "loving-kindness" - but LOVE, simple, ineluctably powerful love. But one must look upon the world as both consumed by fire and pacified by water in order to understand love, which is the indriya of accomplishment.

Love is the mingling of the path and the result. Common, "unextraordinary" love is the basis FOR (think "telos" here while resting in view) the deliverance of all consciousnesses into mirror-like wisdom without exception, which is what we fail to recognize in our human bodies. This is the accomplishment of the dharmakaya (mind) of Akshobhya. The absurd and deeply relieving infinite regress of the mirror-like wisdom, which illustrates itself in our world system as mathematical calculus, is the dharma gate of plain altruistic loving and establishing that overlooked and humble appearance as divine.

The path is approaching this unelaborate, creative, salvific and indispensable LOVE of the unmitigated, unconditioned potential of sentient beings to be Buddhas in their own unique ways without abandoning the view that sees all dharmas as Kuntuzangmo-Vajradhara's refuge garden. So adamantine connectedness to the sunyata compassion wisdom of the Buddha Dharma as well as to the "individualized" appearances of diverse Dharma gates (phenomena) are both the necessity of rescuing the unenlightened who have harmed without knowing by establishing them in the uncontrived morality of ease and comfort.

Read the Vimalakirti Sutra for more info!!

Long life to the Masters!
ༀ་ཨཱཿ་ཧཱུྃ
Oṃ Āḥ Hūṃ
Om Ah Hung

"Whilst lacking pure renunciation there is no way to pacify
The continual thirst for pleasure in the ocean of saṃsāra,
And since all living beings are bound by their craving for existence,
You must begin by finding the determination to be free."

[from Je Tsongkhapa's Three Principal Aspects of the Path]
hermitseb

Post by hermitseb »

In my view, ultimately there is no difference between them and you, as everything you "perceive" of them is entirely internal to yourself, an interpretation, a fabrication, a projection. By being compassionate to this and all things, which are also like this, you are really being compassionate with your own self, so to speak. Negative views and arisings reinforce negative neurosis and blockages.

In programming terms: Garbage in, Garbage out.

:quoteunquote:
TheWhiteLotus

Post by TheWhiteLotus »

nichiren-123 wrote: Sun Nov 18, 2018 2:33 pm I often hear and read how compassion is vital to Buddhist practice, alongside wisdom.
My question is why is compassion important and how does it relate to wisdom?
In Bon Buddhism, which is a form of Tibetan Buddhism, we are taught that the three root poisons of all suffering is Anger (Hatred), Attachment (Desire) and Ignorance. The Antidote to these poisons are Compassion, Wisdom and Awareness.
dude

Post by dude »

because good is better than bad
Loving kindness is better than selfishness
Treating all living beings with kindness is the cause to be treated with loving kindness by all life, even the natural environment.
haha

Post by haha »

The Expression of the Realization of Chenrezig says:
If one had just one quality, it would be as if all the Buddhas' Dharma were in your palm. What quality is that? Great compassion.

The Accomplishment of Dharmadhatu Sutra says:
Blessed One, wherever the precious wheel of the great monarch is found, there are all his troops Blessed One, likewise, wherever the great compassion of a bodhisattva is found, there will be all the Dharmas of the Buddhas.

The Showing the Secrets of the Tathagata Sutra says:
Guhyapati (Lord of the Secrets), the primordial wisdom of the Omniscient One grows from the root of compassion.

From Khenpo Konchog Gyaltsen Rinpoche, Gampopa "The Jewel Ornament of Liberation"
Generation of bodhicitta is the very root of all Dharma practice.

Padmasambhava,"Dakini Teachings"

Even Boddhicitta is related to attainment of three kayas.
stevie

Post by stevie »

nichiren-123 wrote: Sun Nov 18, 2018 2:33 pm I often hear and read how compassion is vital to Buddhist practice, alongside wisdom.
My question is why is compassion important and how does it relate to wisdom?
Compassion is important in the beginning, in the middle and in the end.

In the beginning it is important for developing the wholehearted resolve to become a Buddha.
In the middle it is important for developing patience with sentient beings who are innumerable, have innumerable individual sufferings and sometimes are dismissive and even hostile.
In the end it is important for not giving up sentient beings and abide in peace, i.e. Nirvana, but realize non-abiding Nirvana which is the union of wisdom and compassion.

So wisdom alone leads to Nirvana for oneself, the liberation of Sravakas, but compassion supported by wisdom leads to non-abiding Nirvana of a Buddha who is still able to teach, does teach and thus supports the liberation of others.
KeithA

Post by KeithA »

Rick wrote: Mon Dec 31, 2018 6:14 pm Ani Trime, a Buddhist nun, was asked at a retreat what the most important thing she learned from her 30+ years practicing Buddhism. She thought about it for a while, and then said: Kindness.

I was really surprised. I thought she would have said something about rigpa or emptiness or rebirth or another one of <what seemed to me to be> The Biggies. Or, if she was staying with the compassion aspect of Buddhism, then maybe metta or bodhicitta or even loving-kindness. But she just said: Kindness.

Her answer kind of disappointed me at the time, it seemed so anticlimactic. But it stuck with me, and I keep coming back to it.

:heart: The deepest teachings are the simplest.

_/|\_
When walking, standing, sitting, lying down, speaking,
being silent, moving, being still.
At all times, in all places, without interruption - what is this?
One mind is infinite kalpas.

New Haven Zen Center

Return to “Mahāyāna Buddhism”