Why is avoiding dharma bad karma?

General forum on the teachings of all schools of Mahayana and Vajrayana Buddhism. Topics specific to one school are best posted in the appropriate sub-forum.
MatthewAngby

Why is avoiding dharma bad karma?

Post by MatthewAngby »

If someone were a Christian and you start to force your Buddhist belief and evangelize it , chances are, he’ll be annoyed and walk off. Why is avoiding the dharma a bad karma? Someone may be of another faith and not believe in the Buddha , because he or she may have a personal belief of his or her own. Is the texts telling me that people who do not believe in the dharma after hearing it and avoiding it incurs bad karma?...simply because they do not feel comfortable with another religion ( Buddhism ) being shoved down their throat? This feels like the type of Christian fear tactic that says “ Believe and accept God or you shall not be saved and be in endless suffering, don’t you think?
Grigoris
Former staff member

Re: Why is avoiding dharma bad karma?

Post by Grigoris »

MatthewAngby wrote: Tue Nov 27, 2018 10:30 am If someone were a Christian and you start to force your Buddhist belief and evangelize it , chances are, he’ll be annoyed and walk off. Why is avoiding the dharma a bad karma? Someone may be of another faith and not believe in the Buddha , because he or she may have a personal belief of his or her own. Is the texts telling me that people who do not believe in the dharma after hearing it and avoiding it incurs bad karma?...simply because they do not feel comfortable with another religion ( Buddhism ) being shoved down their throat? This feels like the type of Christian fear tactic that says “ Believe and accept God or you shall not be saved and be in endless suffering, don’t you think?
1. Not all Buddhism is Dharma and not all Dharma is Buddhist.

2. Buddhism is not an evangelical system. Traditionally one needs to be asked three times before giving a Buddhist teaching.

3. Avoiding Buddhism is not necessarily avoiding Dharma and thus does not necessarily lead to accumulation of negative karma.
"My religion is not deceiving myself."
Jetsun Milarepa 1052-1135 CE

"Butchers, prostitutes, those guilty of the five most heinous crimes, outcasts, the underprivileged: all are utterly the substance of existence and nothing other than total bliss."
The Supreme Source - The Kunjed Gyalpo
The Fundamental Tantra of Dzogchen Semde
MatthewAngby

Post by MatthewAngby »

And what constitutes avoiding or abandoning the Buddhadharma?
Grigoris
Former staff member

Post by Grigoris »

MatthewAngby wrote: Tue Nov 27, 2018 12:29 pm And what constitutes avoiding or abandoning the Buddhadharma?
Now that is the million dollar question.

You have to start with: "What constitutes Buddhadharma?"
"My religion is not deceiving myself."
Jetsun Milarepa 1052-1135 CE

"Butchers, prostitutes, those guilty of the five most heinous crimes, outcasts, the underprivileged: all are utterly the substance of existence and nothing other than total bliss."
The Supreme Source - The Kunjed Gyalpo
The Fundamental Tantra of Dzogchen Semde
Orgyen

Post by Orgyen »

MatthewAngby wrote: Tue Nov 27, 2018 10:30 am If someone were a Christian and you start to force your Buddhist belief and evangelize it , chances are, he’ll be annoyed and walk off. Why is avoiding the dharma a bad karma? Someone may be of another faith and not believe in the Buddha , because he or she may have a personal belief of his or her own. Is the texts telling me that people who do not believe in the dharma after hearing it and avoiding it incurs bad karma?...simply because they do not feel comfortable with another religion ( Buddhism ) being shoved down their throat? This feels like the type of Christian fear tactic that says “ Believe and accept God or you shall not be saved and be in endless suffering, don’t you think?
Not necessarily ,
I think one should not generalised it . Bad karma came from unwholesome intention and turn it into action . Fulfilling or meeting certain conditions and requirements shall determine the outcome .
MatthewAngby

Post by MatthewAngby »

Grigoris wrote: Tue Nov 27, 2018 2:21 pm
MatthewAngby wrote: Tue Nov 27, 2018 12:29 pm And what constitutes avoiding or abandoning the Buddhadharma?
Now that is the million dollar question.

You have to start with: "What constitutes Buddhadharma?"
The 84,000 teachings /antidotes?

Return to “Mahāyāna Buddhism”