Is there time for bodhisattvas?

General forum on the teachings of all schools of Mahayana and Vajrayana Buddhism. Topics specific to one school are best posted in the appropriate sub-forum.
jhanapeacock

Is there time for bodhisattvas?

Post by jhanapeacock »

In the vimalarkiti sutta we see how tenth bhumi bodhisattvas can completely violate all kinds of physic laws, they can manipulate space and time at will. Furthermore, they can inhabit akanistha ghanavyuha beyond the three times.

But, in contrast with buddhas, they still have objects, so time should exist for them. Also and pretty obvious, there should be time for them since they take three countless aeons to reach the goal. So, how it works?,
takso

Re: Is there time for bodhisattvas?

Post by takso »

What does time mean? Time is a dimension or simply a way of measurement for the becoming processes. This means time alone is created by the mind and therefore, it is subjective rather than objective in its nature of orientation. To become is to exist; to exist is to become. Therefore, time does not exist in nibbāna. In a strictest term, nibbāna does not exist because there is an absence of becoming processes.
~ Ignorance triumphs when wise men do nothing ~
Könchok Thrinley
Former staff member

Post by Könchok Thrinley »

Sorry made an off topic joke due to being sleepy :oops: so I deleted it.
“Observing samaya involves to remain inseparable from the union of wisdom and compassion at all times, to sustain mindfulness, and to put into practice the guru’s instructions”. Garchen Rinpoche

For those who do virtuous actions,
goodness is what comes to pass.
For those who do non-virtuous actions,
that becomes suffering indeed.

- Arya Sanghata Sutra
ThreeVows

Post by ThreeVows »

jhanapeacock wrote: Fri Jan 11, 2019 1:56 am In the vimalarkiti sutta we see how tenth bhumi bodhisattvas can completely violate all kinds of physic laws, they can manipulate space and time at will. Furthermore, they can inhabit akanistha ghanavyuha beyond the three times.

But, in contrast with buddhas, they still have objects, so time should exist for them. Also and pretty obvious, there should be time for them since they take three countless aeons to reach the goal. So, how it works?,
“Whoever wants to find the wisdom beyond intellect without praying to his guru is like someone waiting for the sun to shine in a cave facing the north. He will never realize appearances and his mind to be one.”
Kyabje Dilgo Khyentse Rinpoche
jet.urgyen

Post by jet.urgyen »

i'm afraid that time is another product of logic. i couldn't give scripture quotations because this is just a conclusion, everything points that way.

i'm afraid "ultimate" realization, if there is such thing, is beyond time also, and time occurs into the boundaries of the relative mind.

time it's a weird thing, isn't?
true dharma is inexpressible.

The bodhisattva nourishes from bodhicitta, through whatever method the Buddha has given him. Oh joy.
jhanapeacock

Post by jhanapeacock »

javier.espinoza.t wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 7:47 pm i'm afraid that time is another product of logic. i couldn't give scripture quotations because this is just a conclusion, everything points that way.

i'm afraid "ultimate" realization, if there is such thing, is beyond time also, and time occurs into the boundaries of the relative mind.

time it's a weird thing, isn't?
It is said eight bhumi and above bodhisattvas can inhabit akanistha ghandhavyuha which is beyond duality and therefore time. The vilamarkiti sutra also supports the notion that mahasattvas are not deluled and can manipulated time at will. It´s a little weird if we take into account that the goal is reached in time and is at the same time beyond time... Whatever, our human minds can´t possible comprehend it, until then, all teachings are provisional.
SilenceMonkey

Post by SilenceMonkey »

If time doesn’t exist for such great Bodhisattvas... what about kalachakra?
jhanapeacock

Post by jhanapeacock »

SilenceMonkey wrote: Mon Dec 23, 2019 8:19 pm If time doesn’t exist for such great Bodhisattvas... what about kalachakra?
I don´t know, you tell me. Im not a practitioner of Vajrayana or knowledgeable on the matter. In Mahayana (bodhisattvas of equal enlightenment) and mahasamghika those very advanced bodhisattvas already posess the dharmakaya as body and as such they are not restricted by concepts like time. In fact in the comentary of the prajnaparamita it is said they are all-powerful.

Mahayana bodhisattvas are a bit different than Vajrayana bodhisattvas, in the first bhumi (mahayana) you should be capable of shaking one hundred world systems, some people equate them to a solar system, other to a small universe.
SteRo

Post by SteRo »

jhanapeacock wrote: Fri Jan 11, 2019 1:56 am So, how it works?,
"[how] it works" ... that's the dependent arising of time.
jhanapeacock

Post by jhanapeacock »

SteRo wrote: Fri Dec 27, 2019 6:44 am
jhanapeacock wrote: Fri Jan 11, 2019 1:56 am So, how it works?,
"[how] it works" ... that's the dependent arising of time.
Thank you. I was a little naive when i made this question. I already stop wondering about this stuff and another difficult questions as to why the Dharmakaya becomes poluted. The real answer is inconceivable for us, as the Queen Srimala sutra said:

"The inconceivable realm of the World Honored One is the inherently pure Buddha Nature which has been obscured by all the extrinsic defilements. Why so? The moral consciousness, being momentary, is not contaminated by defilements. Likewise the immoral consciousness, being momentary is also not contaminated by defilements. O Bhagavan since defilements do not alter the consciousness and the consciousness does not alter the defilements. Then how does the consciousness which is unaltered become defiled? Bhagavan there are both the defilements and the defiled consciousness. The fact that there is defilement on the inherently pure mind is difficult to understand. Only the Bhagavan Buddha alone has the eye to see, the knowledge of truth and is the omnipotent Lord who is the root of all Dharma’s and the true refuge. Only the Buddha alone can fully comprehend this subject."

Return to “Mahāyāna Buddhism”