How to develop Bodhicitta?

General forum on the teachings of all schools of Mahayana and Vajrayana Buddhism. Topics specific to one school are best posted in the appropriate sub-forum.
WeiHan

Re: How to develop Bodhicitta?

Post by WeiHan » Sun Jul 07, 2019 5:19 pm

Hello,

The systematic method called the seven points cause and effect method for generating bodhicitta.
https://www.rigpawiki.org/index.php?tit ... and_Effect

This is just an introduction. You should seek out the detail meditation for this method if you are keen.

DancingBuddha

Post by DancingBuddha » Fri Jul 26, 2019 7:03 pm

WeiHan wrote:
Sun Jul 07, 2019 5:19 pm
Hello,

The systematic method called the seven points cause and effect method for generating bodhicitta.
https://www.rigpawiki.org/index.php?tit ... and_Effect

This is just an introduction. You should seek out the detail meditation for this method if you are keen.
Are there any step by step arguments to Boddhicitta that don't involve something like remembering all beings are your past mothers? Im just not in a place right now to believe (or maybe just understand) something like that.

Right now I am much more able to follow the path if I treat such ideas as symbolic and take what I can from them, but focus on ideas and claims that I believe could be defended philosophically (if you have a philosophical argument as to how all sentient beings are in some way my parent I would like to hear it, but if that argument uses rebirth as a premise then please also defend rebirth philosophically)

This is just how my mind works at my current level of practice.

I can get on board with step 4 quite easily, which is affectionate love, and this takes me to bodhicitta, but I'm interested in some solid premises that can get me to 4.

I heard once I think from the Dalia lahma that compassion can be found in observing that everyone wants happiness and to end their own suffering, no matter who they are, and we are all doing are best to make it so, no matter what kind of path we end up on, and in this way we are all the same. My enemy shares this commonality with me.

So, this is the original 7 point method:
1. Recognising all sentient beings as one's mother
2. Recognising the kindness of mother sentient beings
3. Repaying their kindness
4. Affectionate love
5. Great compassion
6. The extraordinary intention
7. Bodhicitta

What do you think of this:
1. I have suffered, and have sought a way into peace
2. I see the Dharma path to peace as the most effective way to end suffering
3. All sentient beings are like me (commonality claim)
4. If I want to end my suffering, and other sentient beings are like me, then I ought to want to end their suffering
5. Wanting to end another's suffering entails affectionate love
6. Affectionate love for all sentient beings entails great compassion
7. Great compassion entails extraordinary intention
8. Boddhicitta

It's a work in progress, and there seems to be quite a bit of ego in it (the 7-point makes no reference to self, which is a plus), but I'm new to this so be kind, hehe. Basically, I just want to help people, so I don't really need the argument, but if I had to argue my way to Boddhicitta this would probably be it. Thoughts?

Könchok Thrinley
Former staff member

Post by Könchok Thrinley » Fri Jul 26, 2019 7:26 pm

DancingBuddha wrote:
Fri Jul 26, 2019 7:03 pm
Are there any step by step arguments to Boddhicitta that don't involve something like remembering all beings are your past mothers? Im just not in a place right now to believe (or maybe just understand) something like that.
I dunno, but once I have realized that maybe going at the "mother sentient beings" from the point of view of ecology is a good idea. How? Well simply because we need all of them. Every single one of them. Without those birds, bugs, etc we would not have this beautiful world. They are what makes harvest possible, our life possible. Concerning humans, well without them we would not live as comfortable, no education, no roads, no hospitals, etc etc etc. Just seeing how much other species and humans do that you personally use/depend on makes one feel very grateful and touched. Or at least it works for me. Dunno.
“Observing samaya involves to remain inseparable from the union of wisdom and compassion at all times, to sustain mindfulness, and to put into practice the guru’s instructions”. Garchen Rinpoche

Formerly known as Miroku.

Johnny Dangerous
Global Moderator

Post by Johnny Dangerous » Fri Jul 26, 2019 8:13 pm

My two cents:

It's easy to approach it as a mainly intellectual exercise and get stuck there.

It has to become a visceral experience - connection to the suffering and joy of others. The traditional presentation is very scholarly and in many ways kind of left-brained, I have to connect with the actual experience of the joy, suffering etc. of others. That's what thinking "all beings who have been my mother and are as infinite as space" etc. are meant to do. So, feeling these things is actually more important than thinking them, the thinking of them, the intellectual artifice is there so that I can actually experience them.

If I stick only to the idea or concept, it's just a recipe for frustration. Really experiencing the universality of suffering (as opposed to simply thinking about it in a formulaic way) has been the key for me. While I cannot experience the suffering of another, it has a certain resonance, I can actually feel these things in my being and not just think about them.. particularly around my heart. That is not by coincidence, it is the same space that gives birth to Bodhicitta that experiences that resonance with others suffering.
"...if you think about how many hours, months and years of your life you've spent looking at things, being fascinated by things that have now passed away, then how wonderful to spend even five minutes looking into the nature of your own mind."

-James Low

Könchok Thrinley
Former staff member

Post by Könchok Thrinley » Fri Jul 26, 2019 8:24 pm

:good:
“Observing samaya involves to remain inseparable from the union of wisdom and compassion at all times, to sustain mindfulness, and to put into practice the guru’s instructions”. Garchen Rinpoche

Formerly known as Miroku.

Matt J

Post by Matt J » Fri Jul 26, 2019 10:17 pm

Sure, there are many classical methods that do not involve the "all beings as mothers." Typically, you start with wishing happiness for yourself, then beings that you love, then beings that you are neutral about, then beings you don't like.

You start by considering that you want to be happy and free from suffering. Then you form an intention or wish that you actually be happy and free from suffering. You can think of all the things that would make you happy and free from suffering, and then form a wish that you have those things. Then can you think of people you love and do the same thing. You might think, "just like me, X wants to be happy and free from suffering." If you feel some love or compassion, you can try to extend this feeling to other beings. Then you try to extend this to neutral beings, then beings you don't like.

There are various scripts and short prayers you can find online.

However, one of the best ways is to watch your own mind, and realize that other beings are just like you. We you become familiar with how you are when you are angry, and then you see you some one else who is angry, there is an automatic recognition and automatic empathy. You may realize like you, they are caught up in an emotion. You may realize that like you when you are angry, they are suffering. The same with when you are in pain, etc.

More details available below:

https://tergar.org/wp-content/uploads/2 ... ersion.pdf
DancingBuddha wrote:
"The essence of meditation practice is to let go of all your expectations about meditation. All the qualities of your natural mind -- peace, openness, relaxation, and clarity -- are present in your mind just as it is. You don't have to do anything different. You don't have to shift or change your awareness. All you have to do while observing your mind is to recognize the qualities it already has."
--- Yongey Mingyur Rinpoche

如傑優婆塞

Post by 如傑優婆塞 » Sat Jul 27, 2019 12:05 am

Here's some East Asian samples...

Sūtras: 1 2 Śāstras: 1 2 Four Great Vows: 1 2 3 4 5 Misc Commentaries: 1 2 3 4

Kim O'Hara
Former staff member

Post by Kim O'Hara » Sat Jul 27, 2019 12:17 am

Queequeg wrote:
Wed Jun 26, 2019 1:05 pm
Reflect on someone you care about - or have you gone so far down the Theravada rabbit hole that you've cut off attachments? :tongue:
That's a bit rude, especially since ...
Consider how you want that person to be happy, like truly happy. Cultivate that longing to see them happy. Expand that longing to other beings you care about. Then, to people you really don't like, even hate.
... is standard Theravadin metta meditation.

:namaste:
Kim

Queequeg
Global Moderator

Post by Queequeg » Sat Jul 27, 2019 3:28 am

Kim O'Hara wrote:
Sat Jul 27, 2019 12:17 am
Queequeg wrote:
Wed Jun 26, 2019 1:05 pm
Reflect on someone you care about - or have you gone so far down the Theravada rabbit hole that you've cut off attachments? :tongue:
That's a bit rude, especially since ...
:consoling:
:tongue:
Those who, even with distracted minds,
Entered a stupa compound
And chanted but once, “Namo Buddhaya!”
Have certainly attained the path of the buddhas.

-Lotus Sutra, Expedient Means Chapter

There are beings with little dust in their eyes who are falling away because they do not hear the Dhamma. There will be those who will understand the Dhamma.
-Ayacana Sutta

WeiHan

Post by WeiHan » Tue Sep 24, 2019 5:28 am

DancingBuddha wrote:

Right now I am much more able to follow the path if I treat such ideas as symbolic and take what I can from them, but focus on ideas and claims that I believe could be defended philosophically (if you have a philosophical argument as to how all sentient beings are in some way my parent I would like to hear it, but if that argument uses rebirth as a premise then please also defend rebirth philosophically)

This is just how my mind works at my current level of practice.

I can get on board with step 4 quite easily, which is affectionate love, and this takes me to bodhicitta, but I'm interested in some solid premises that can get me to 4.

I heard once I think from the Dalia lahma that compassion can be found in observing that everyone wants happiness and to end their own suffering, no matter who they are, and we are all doing are best to make it so, no matter what kind of path we end up on, and in this way we are all the same. My enemy shares this commonality with me.

So, this is the original 7 point method:
1. Recognising all sentient beings as one's mother
2. Recognising the kindness of mother sentient beings
3. Repaying their kindness
4. Affectionate love
5. Great compassion
6. The extraordinary intention
7. Bodhicitta

What do you think of this:
1. I have suffered, and have sought a way into peace
2. I see the Dharma path to peace as the most effective way to end suffering
3. All sentient beings are like me (commonality claim)
4. If I want to end my suffering, and other sentient beings are like me, then I ought to want to end their suffering
5. Wanting to end another's suffering entails affectionate love
6. Affectionate love for all sentient beings entails great compassion
7. Great compassion entails extraordinary intention
8. Boddhicitta

It's a work in progress, and there seems to be quite a bit of ego in it (the 7-point makes no reference to self, which is a plus), but I'm new to this so be kind, hehe. Basically, I just want to help people, so I don't really need the argument, but if I had to argue my way to Boddhicitta this would probably be it. Thoughts?
Hi. Sorry that I don't have alot of time to analyse and reply what you have wrote. Forgive me too if I only touch on a few points. For me, I don't trust philosophical arguments. Don't you agree scientific evidence of rebirth is a better option. In my opinion which many may not agree, putting in alot of effort to find convincing evidence for rebirth is important and is worth the effort. Anyway, back to philosophical argument, I thought there is a buddhist philosophical argument for rebirth? Some philosophical school concludes that consciousness cannot arise out of different things such a material objects since they are of complete differing nature. Therefore, consciousness must be born out of previous moment of consciousness itself. By induction, then this present consciousness has beginningless existence other than the present life that we assume. Since this consciousness has a beginningless continuity and likewise for all other consciousness, then it is not far fetch to conclude that all other consciousness (beings) has at many points in time been related to us as mothers (of course also as enemies and other relationships).

For now, I'll just share this. Hope it helps.

muni

Post by muni » Tue Sep 24, 2019 8:17 am

Feel compassion for oneself please. Take care of you. Because 'from where' to get nectar of compassion when we are suffering so much, or hard to ourselves? How to give water when the bottle is empty?

Buddha said there is no self (ego) but it is suffering what maintains the experience of a self and self is suffering, the circle is by that illustrated. And by suffering it is difficult to develop compassion for all. Embrace own experienced being in compassion and then the development to embrace all can flow.

Fighting against the false ego boss-false protector ( that what discriminates) will not so much help, it can fight harder back. It can be gently released perhaps?
Open our very heart includes all. Of course this is just a way to talk, a way among many. But sure all have the potential for bodhicitta, whether it blossoms now, soon or later.

I understood; avoid judgements, as well unspoken ones, if they are not by compassion or loving care. H H Dilgo Khyentse Rinpoche said even others are hundred percent wrong, don't fight, let them win. This for judgements towards others keeps Bodhicitta is hidden.

Some words by his student:
the foundation of the Buddha's teaching lies in compassion and the reason for practicing the teaching is to wipe out the persistence of ego, the number one enemy of compassion. H H Dalai Lama.
The nature of just what is, in all things, is undifferentiated.
When purified, it is the nature of the tathagata.
Therefore all living beings possess that nucleus.

The fortress of the spacious and timeless expanse has no division into
higher or lower or in between.

SilenceMonkey

Post by SilenceMonkey » Sun Oct 20, 2019 4:52 pm

* Think about others' suffering *

A couple books:
"Heart of Compassion" by Dilgo Khyentse (37 practices of a bodhisattva!)
"Present Moment, Wonderful Moment" by Thich Nhat Hanh (compassionate gathas!)

Ayu
Global Moderator

Post by Ayu » Sun Oct 20, 2019 8:37 pm

A meditation how to develop bodhicitta is discribed in the Lamrim by Tsongkhapa in chapter 4. The Lamrim of Gampopa explains it in chapter 8, 9, 10 and 11. Also "The Words of my Perfect Teacher" by Patrul Rinpoche contains an explanation in chapter 8.

It is good to read, contemplate and meditate about it.
For the benefit and ease of all sentient beings. :heart:

SilenceMonkey

Post by SilenceMonkey » Tue Oct 22, 2019 10:11 pm

The essence of bodhicitta is the Bodhisattva vow.

The FPMT put out a powerful translation of “The Bodhisattva Vows” (in booklet form)

Return to “Mahāyāna Buddhism”