Thich Nhat Hanh's message

General forum on the teachings of all schools of Mahayana and Vajrayana Buddhism. Topics specific to one school are best posted in the appropriate sub-forum.
cjdevries

Thich Nhat Hanh's message

Post by cjdevries » Wed Jan 22, 2020 3:32 am

Brother Phap Dung: "One of the most powerful teachings that he shared with us before he got sick was about not building a stupa [shrine for his remains] for him and putting his ashes in an urn for us to pray to. He strongly commanded us not to do this. I will paraphrase his message:

“Please do not build a stupa for me. Please do not put my ashes in a vase, lock me inside, and limit who I am. I know this will be difficult for some of you. If you must build a stupa though, please make sure that you put a sign on it that says, ‘I am not in here.’ In addition, you can also put another sign that says, ‘I am not out there either,’ and a third sign that says, ‘If I am anywhere, it is in your mindful breathing and in your peaceful steps.’”

https://www.vox.com/2019/3/11/18196457/ ... um-village

DNS
Site Admin

Re: Thich Nhat Hanh's message

Post by DNS » Wed Jan 22, 2020 4:37 am

How is his health now? Is there any place to get updates on his health?

cjdevries

Post by cjdevries » Wed Jan 22, 2020 4:44 am

Yes, here is the site with updates about his health: https://plumvillage.org/about/thich-nha ... hs-health/
As the article says, he moved back to Vietnam to live out his final days at the temple where he first ordained as a novice.

DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS » Wed Jan 22, 2020 5:02 am

:thumbsup: :thanks:

Shiva

Post by Shiva » Fri Jan 24, 2020 10:48 am

cjdevries wrote:
Wed Jan 22, 2020 3:32 am
Brother Phap Dung: "One of the most powerful teachings that he shared with us before he got sick was about not building a stupa [shrine for his remains] for him and putting his ashes in an urn for us to pray to. He strongly commanded us not to do this. I will paraphrase his message:

“Please do not build a stupa for me. Please do not put my ashes in a vase, lock me inside, and limit who I am. I know this will be difficult for some of you. If you must build a stupa though, please make sure that you put a sign on it that says, ‘I am not in here.’ In addition, you can also put another sign that says, ‘I am not out there either,’ and a third sign that says, ‘If I am anywhere, it is in your mindful breathing and in your peaceful steps.’”

https://www.vox.com/2019/3/11/18196457/ ... um-village
A beautiful teaching on impermanence. :namaste:

DharmaN00b

Post by DharmaN00b » Fri Jan 24, 2020 2:10 pm

His message reminds me of Mary Elizabeth Frye's poem: "do not stand at my grave and weep" Obviously the message is a bit different from TNH but still..

Return to “Mahāyāna Buddhism”