Mental Body in Divine Realms

General forum on the teachings of all schools of Mahayana and Vajrayana Buddhism. Topics specific to one school are best posted in the appropriate sub-forum.
sangyey

Mental Body in Divine Realms

Post by sangyey » Mon Jan 27, 2020 4:07 pm

Hello,

I was wondering if anyone knows what the mental body is called in the Form and Formless Realms?

I’ve come across Gandhabba and Manomaya Kaya but I’m not sure if any of these are correct.

Thank you.

Aemilius

Re: Mental Body in Divine Realms

Post by Aemilius » Tue Jan 28, 2020 1:11 pm

The Gandharva/Gandhabba refers to the body in the intermediate state (antarabhava), in the sutras. Mental-Body (namakaya) refers to the form or body in the nidana of mental formations (samskara), see the Vishuddhimagga XIV.133. There is a discussion about the skandhas in the deva-realms and other form realms, found in the Abhidharma, for example in the Abhidharmakosha-bhashyam of Vasubandhu. It is quite technical. Technically the form of a deva/god is also rupa.
svaha
"All human beings are born free and equal in dignity and rights.
They are endowed with reason and conscience and should act towards one another in a spirit of brotherhood.
Sarvē mānavāḥ svatantrāḥ samutpannāḥ vartantē api ca, gauravadr̥śā adhikāradr̥śā ca samānāḥ ēva vartantē. Ētē sarvē cētanā-tarka-śaktibhyāṁ susampannāḥ santi. Api ca, sarvē’pi bandhutva-bhāvanayā parasparaṁ vyavaharantu."
Universal Declaration of Human Rights, Article 1. (in english and sanskrit)

sangyey

Re: Mental Body in Divine Realms

Post by sangyey » Tue Jan 28, 2020 9:15 pm

Thanks for the clarification.

Return to “Mahāyāna Buddhism”