Practices to benefit animals

General forum on the teachings of all schools of Mahayana and Vajrayana Buddhism. Topics specific to one school are best posted in the appropriate sub-forum.
avatamsaka3

Practices to benefit animals

Post by avatamsaka3 »

I'm wondering if anyone can recommend practices that benefit animals who are still alive. He seems to be in good health. And has lots of human friends. So it's a prosperity thing.
PadmaVonSamba

Re: Practices to benefit animals

Post by PadmaVonSamba »

The most effective actions are to make sure they have food and water and shelter if possible
Be kindness
avatamsaka3

Post by avatamsaka3 »

He does. I'm looking for something like a long-life practice for an animal. I've been doing "Om Mani Padme Hung" recitations.
muni

Post by muni »

They are sentient beings just like the human realm. They need protection, nourishment, medical help and love. They have also feelings, do also suffer, they want also to be happy. They are not unintelligent things because they have not the same capacities as the human, they have other.

Bless them in a moment of Awareness, say mantra, include them in practice...and be careful, Buddha appears in every form.

https://www.kikilarouge.com/tibetan-lam ... ca-boston/
Conversely, viewing the self as a mere convention or as a designated label for our dynamic stream of experience - consciousness in relation to the body and the world - is in harmony with the interdependent and impermanent nature of reality; and leads to a state of well-being grounded in wisdom, altruism, compassion, and inner freedom.
https://www.matthieuricard.org/en/blog/ ... he-self--2

Simplicity reveals the nature of the mind behind the veil of restless thoughts.
https://www.matthieuricard.org/en/blog/ ... plicity--2
Vasana

Post by Vasana »

Sound the 6 syllables of Chenrezig and of Samatabhadra
Let them see and touch the mantras too. It will give them a cause for future liberation and purify a lot of karma. As with Humans and other beings. Seeing them alone can be sufficient.

Om Mani Pêmê Hum
ཨོཾ་མ་ཎི་པ་དྨེ་ཧཱུྃ

'A Ah Sha Sa Ma Ha
འ༔ ཨ༔. ཤ༔ ས༔ མ༔ ཧ༔

You can also ask lamas for liberation by taste medicine or consecrated substances and put tiny ammounts of it in their food. As with materials that you can allow the animal to have contact with.

Lama Zopa has sections on his website about benefiting animals too.
ཨོཾ ་ མ ་ ཎི ་ པ ་ དྨེ ་ ཧཱུྃ ། འ ་ ཨ ་ ཧ ་ ཤ ་ ས ་ མ །
Om Mani Peme Hum ། 'A Ah Ha Sha Sa Ma
'When alone, watch your mind,When with others, watch your speech' - Old Kadampa saying
明安 Myoan
Former staff member

Post by 明安 Myoan »

With a heart wandering in ignorance down this path and that, to guide me I simply say Namu-Amida-Butsu. -- Ippen

Reciting the nembutsu and believing in birth in the Pure Land naturally give rise to the Three Minds and the Four Modes of Practice. -- Master Hōnen
avatamsaka3

Post by avatamsaka3 »

Thanks everyone.
avatamsaka3

Post by avatamsaka3 »

And of course it would be easier if he would stop biting my freaking finger. This is where acceptance comes in...
Könchok Thrinley
Former staff member

Post by Könchok Thrinley »

I would say the best thing to do for an animal is to give it a strong connection ot dharma. So Mani and other mantras, especially hA A HA ŠA SA MA would be great. Also another thing, the animal has a strong bond of love towards you, so you do your best to achieve enlightenment ASAP and one day you might be its teacher.
“Observing samaya involves to remain inseparable from the union of wisdom and compassion at all times, to sustain mindfulness, and to put into practice the guru’s instructions”. Garchen Rinpoche

Formerly known as Miroku.
avatamsaka3

Post by avatamsaka3 »

so you do your best to achieve enlightenment ASAP and one day you might be its teacher.
OK, anyone know how to achieve enlightenment quickly? Also if I could save all sentient beings, that would be cool.
Vasana

Post by Vasana »

dolphin_color wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 8:14 am
so you do your best to achieve enlightenment ASAP and one day you might be its teacher.
OK, anyone know how to achieve enlightenment quickly? Also if I could save all sentient beings, that would be cool.
Scriptures and treatises all confirm that the quickest way for us to achieve enlightenment is to hang out on online forums.
'When alone, watch your mind,When with others, watch your speech' - Old Kadampa saying
avatamsaka3

Post by avatamsaka3 »

Quite frankly, all the institutions of Buddhism these days don't seem to produce much enlightenment (or even anything close to it). This is the most valuable place I've found so far in terms of deepening understanding. If you know of some other place I can go, then I'll consider it. When I go on retreat, rest assured I won't be here.
shaunc

Post by shaunc »

PadmaVonSamba wrote: Tue Feb 11, 2020 5:08 am The most effective actions are to make sure they have food and water and shelter if possible
I'll second this.
Könchok Thrinley
Former staff member

Post by Könchok Thrinley »

dolphin_color wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 8:51 am Quite frankly, all the institutions of Buddhism these days don't seem to produce much enlightenment (or even anything close to it). This is the most valuable place I've found so far in terms of deepening understanding. If you know of some other place I can go, then I'll consider it. When I go on retreat, rest assured I won't be here.
Well, the best way to "get enlightened ASAP" would be to find a teacher or a school and develop love and compassion and practice. Even from pure lands one can help beings. :smile: Depends on your leanings, if you like vajrayana follow it, if common mahayana follow some school of it. There is no shame in "just being a lay follower" and developing love and living virtuous life. Your question shows you care for your animals from a longer perspective than just this life and that is love.

Just be good to them and they will love you and that by itself is a great thing.
“Observing samaya involves to remain inseparable from the union of wisdom and compassion at all times, to sustain mindfulness, and to put into practice the guru’s instructions”. Garchen Rinpoche

Formerly known as Miroku.
Vasana

Post by Vasana »

dolphin_color wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 8:51 am Quite frankly, all the institutions of Buddhism these days don't seem to produce much enlightenment (or even anything close to it). This is the most valuable place I've found so far in terms of deepening understanding. If you know of some other place I can go, then I'll consider it. When I go on retreat, rest assured I won't be here.
I was half joking.
We don't know all of the institutions and practitoners out there so we can't really say there isn't much enlightenment or anything close to it. Those of today may not have the same legacy of previous elder masters but this doesn't mean they're not either already 'there' or at least well on their way for our benefit.

And yes, you can come across some useful things here. A better busy 'market place' than the secular kind.
javier.espinoza.t

Post by javier.espinoza.t »

most beings attain "some realization" after death or in the next in purelands. only a few attains realization in present lifetime, to attain realization while alive is very very rare.
javier.espinoza.t

Post by javier.espinoza.t »

dolphin_color wrote: Mon Feb 10, 2020 7:59 am I'm wondering if anyone can recommend practices that benefit animals who are still alive. He seems to be in good health. And has lots of human friends. So it's a prosperity thing.
it depends in what you can do.
明安 Myoan
Former staff member

Post by 明安 Myoan »

With a heart wandering in ignorance down this path and that, to guide me I simply say Namu-Amida-Butsu. -- Ippen

Reciting the nembutsu and believing in birth in the Pure Land naturally give rise to the Three Minds and the Four Modes of Practice. -- Master Hōnen
明安 Myoan
Former staff member

Post by 明安 Myoan »

You never know which practices may take root or show up again in 10, 20 years.
In the case of the Medicine Buddha mantra, I initially started reciting it for cats at a shelter, without much knowledge of Buddhism.
Some nine years later, the Medicine Buddha has helped me take care of my dad as he gets older, with all that entails.

Setting aside the benefits for animals in future lives, there are also benefits for oneself in reciting mantras, buddha names, prayers, praises, memorizing verses of the teachings, performing visualizations, walking around holy objects, and so on.
It's good to provide food, water, shelter, but even a verse of the teachings is a blessing to you both.
Lama Zopa says as Buddhists, we can do something special for our pets.

Additionally, a sense of affection for the buddhas develops through practices like these, as you work together out of shared concern for animal beings.

Return to “Mahāyāna Buddhism”