Practices to benefit animals

General forum on the teachings of all schools of Mahayana and Vajrayana Buddhism. Topics specific to one school are best posted in the appropriate sub-forum.
avatamsaka3

Re: Practices to benefit animals

Post by avatamsaka3 »

Alright, I'll work on enlightenment and try to help the kitty. He's got food, water, and shelter in spades, and is really spoiled by a community. So I'm thankful for that.
rory

Post by rory »

It surprises me that no one has mentioned the Lotus Sutra. In the famous ch. 25 Kannon-sama (Kuanyin, Avalokitesvara) promises that she will take the form of any kind of animal to preach the Dharma to them.

So pray to Kannon-sama for your pet, chant ch. 25 of the Lotus Sutra with faith and devotion. When your pet dies pray to Kannon for your pet to be reborn in the Pure Land. If your pet is sick pray to Kannon-sama.
Lotus Sutra"Good man, if living beings in this land must be saved by means of someone in the body of a Buddha, Guanshiyin Bodhisattva will manifest the body of a Buddha and speak Dharma for them...

If they must be saved by someone in the body of a heavenly dragon, yaksha, gandharva, asura, garuda, kinnara, mahoraga, human, or nonhuman, and so forth, he will manifest in such a body and speak Dharma for them.
http://www.buddhistdoor.com/OldWeb/reso ... otus25.htm

There is also a modern form of Kannon who looks after pets.
Dōbutsu Shūgō Kannon 動物集合観音
Also known as Dōbutsu Kannon. A modern form of Kannon devoted to the care of suffering animals, one granting eternal rest to pets, one invoked in prayers for deceased pets at pet cemeteries...
The modern-day use of Kannon as a patron of dead pets is not surprising. There are numerous antecedents. Batō Kannon (Horse-Headed Kannon), for example, an esoteric savior of those reborn in the realm of animals, was already well-known among the common folk in the Tokugawa period, when numerous farmers prayed to Batō Kannon for the safety and preservation of their horses and cattle. Innumerable stone steles of Batō Kannon were erected in the Tokugawa and Edo periods, for this deity was intimately connected with protecting dumb animals, particularly those who labored for mankind, and with protecting their spirits and bringing them ease and a happier life than they experienced while on earth.

Says scholar Mark R. Mullins in his article The Many Forms and Functions of Kannon in Japanese Religion and Culture: “Kannon has become a favorite comforting figure used by the numerous pet cemeteries that have been built across Japan over the past two decades. The Dobutsu Shugo Kannon is devoted to the care of suffering animals and offers eternal rest to the pets
http://www.onmarkproductions.com/html/kannon.shtml
gassho
Rory
Namu Kanzeon Bosatsu
Chih-I:
The Tai-ching states "the women in the realms of Mara, Sakra and Brahma all neither abandoned ( their old) bodies nor received (new) bodies. They all received buddhahood with their current bodies (genshin)" Thus these verses state that the dharma nature is like a great ocean. No right or wrong is preached (within it) Ordinary people and sages are equal, without superiority or inferiority
Paul, Groner "The Lotus Sutra in Japanese Culture"eds. Tanabe p. 58
https://www.tendai-usa.org/
avatamsaka3

Post by avatamsaka3 »

I'm confused. Are you saying the kitty is a manifestation of Guanyin? Then why does he keep biting my finger?

He's not mine. He just lives close.
tkp67

Post by tkp67 »

rory wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 3:24 am It surprises me that no one has mentioned the Lotus Sutra. In the famous ch. 25 Kannon-sama (Kuanyin, Avalokitesvara) promises that she will take the form of any kind of animal to preach the Dharma to them.

So pray to Kannon-sama for your pet, chant ch. 25 of the Lotus Sutra with faith and devotion. When your pet dies pray to Kannon for your pet to be reborn in the Pure Land. If your pet is sick pray to Kannon-sama.
Lotus Sutra"Good man, if living beings in this land must be saved by means of someone in the body of a Buddha, Guanshiyin Bodhisattva will manifest the body of a Buddha and speak Dharma for them...

If they must be saved by someone in the body of a heavenly dragon, yaksha, gandharva, asura, garuda, kinnara, mahoraga, human, or nonhuman, and so forth, he will manifest in such a body and speak Dharma for them.
http://www.buddhistdoor.com/OldWeb/reso ... otus25.htm

There is also a modern form of Kannon who looks after pets.
Dōbutsu Shūgō Kannon 動物集合観音
Also known as Dōbutsu Kannon. A modern form of Kannon devoted to the care of suffering animals, one granting eternal rest to pets, one invoked in prayers for deceased pets at pet cemeteries...
The modern-day use of Kannon as a patron of dead pets is not surprising. There are numerous antecedents. Batō Kannon (Horse-Headed Kannon), for example, an esoteric savior of those reborn in the realm of animals, was already well-known among the common folk in the Tokugawa period, when numerous farmers prayed to Batō Kannon for the safety and preservation of their horses and cattle. Innumerable stone steles of Batō Kannon were erected in the Tokugawa and Edo periods, for this deity was intimately connected with protecting dumb animals, particularly those who labored for mankind, and with protecting their spirits and bringing them ease and a happier life than they experienced while on earth.

Says scholar Mark R. Mullins in his article The Many Forms and Functions of Kannon in Japanese Religion and Culture: “Kannon has become a favorite comforting figure used by the numerous pet cemeteries that have been built across Japan over the past two decades. The Dobutsu Shugo Kannon is devoted to the care of suffering animals and offers eternal rest to the pets
http://www.onmarkproductions.com/html/kannon.shtml
gassho
Rory
Thank you for sharing this. We have a couple of rescues who have really helped me understand the value/nature of sentience outside human form (as well as the existence leading to this point). It seems to me the very fantastic expanse of the LS has a very palpable foundation in every day life that exists before us whether we see it or not.
rory

Post by rory »

tkp67 wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 1:01 pm
Thank you for sharing this. We have a couple of rescues who have really helped me understand the value/nature of sentience outside human form (as well as the existence leading to this point). It seems to me the very fantastic expanse of the LS has a very palpable foundation in every day life that exists before us whether we see it or not.
That is so true, the Lotus Sutra shows us that all sentient beings have buddhanature: insects, dogs, birds, humans and asserts their essential equality. My pet dog's buddhanature is no different than mine...
If I'm not mistaken Ch. 25 is the most popular and commonly chanted sutra portion in East Asia!

Dolphin_color: your kitty isn't Kannon-sama. But Kuanyin is the bodhisattva who cares for animals, so definitely chant ch. 25 of the Lotus Sutra and transfer the merit to your kitty.
gassho
Rory
Namu Kanzeon Bosatsu
Chih-I:
The Tai-ching states "the women in the realms of Mara, Sakra and Brahma all neither abandoned ( their old) bodies nor received (new) bodies. They all received buddhahood with their current bodies (genshin)" Thus these verses state that the dharma nature is like a great ocean. No right or wrong is preached (within it) Ordinary people and sages are equal, without superiority or inferiority
avatamsaka3

Post by avatamsaka3 »

OK, will get a copy and chant and dedicate.

Follow up question: If the kitty has Buddhanature, does that mean he can meditate?
rory

Post by rory »

dolphin_color wrote: Fri Feb 14, 2020 3:33 am OK, will get a copy and chant and dedicate.

Follow up question: If the kitty has Buddhanature, does that mean he can meditate?
That's wonderful, practicing to benefit other beings is so compassionaate :twothumbsup:

This if from Ch. 12 the Devadatta chapter from the Lotus Sutra and the famous story of the Dragon King's daughter:
Wisdom Accumulation asked Manjushri, "This Sutra is extremely profound and subtle. Among all the Sutras, it is a jewel rarely found in the world. Is there any living being who can, through diligence and vigor, cultivate this Sutra and quickly gain Buddhahood?"

Manjushri said, "There is a Dragon King's daughter who is just eight years old. She is the faculties, conducts, and Karmas of living beings and has attained Dharani. She is able to receive and uphold the entire storehouse of extremely profound secrets spoken by the Buddha. She has deeply entered Dhyana Samadhi and thoroughly penetrated all Dharmas. In the space of a Kshana she brought broth the Bodhi mind and attained to irreversibility. Her eloquence is unobstructed and she is compassionately mindful of all living beings as if they were her children. Her merit and virtue is complete. The thoughts of her mind and the words from her mouth are subtle, wonderful, and expansive. She is compassionate, humane and yielding; harmonious and refined in mind and will, and she is able to arrive at Bodhi."
http://www.buddhistdoor.com/OldWeb/reso ... otus12.htm
gassho
Rory
Namu Kanzeon Bosatsu
Chih-I:
avatamsaka3

Post by avatamsaka3 »

So it sounds like it's possible...

Is there a Tibetan version I can get my hands on? Are there different versions? I've never studied the text...
Aemilius

Post by Aemilius »

Buddhism in Translations, by Henry Clarke Warren, published in 1896 as volume III in Harvard Oriental Series

§ 63. THE CONVERSION OF ANIMALS.

[REFLECTION ON THE BUDDHA.]

Translated from the Visuddhi-Magga (chap. vii.).

The Blessed One, moreover, was The Teacher, because he gave instruction also to animals. These, by listening to the Doctrine of The Blessed One, became destined to conversion, and in the second or third existence would enter the Paths. The frog who became a god is an illustration.

As tradition relates, The Blessed One was teaching the Doctrine to the inhabitants of the town of Campâ, on the banks of Lake Gaggarâ; and a certain frog, at the sound of The Blessed One's voice, obtained the mental reflex. And a certain cowherd, as he stood leaning on his staff, pinned him down fast by the head. The frog straightway died, and like a person awaking from sleep, he was reborn in the Heaven of the Thirty-three, in a golden palace twelve leagues in length. And when he beheld himself surrounded by throngs of houris, he began to consider: "To think that I should be born here! I wonder what ever I did to bring me here." And he could perceive nothing else than that he had obtained the mental reflex at the sound of the voice of The Blessed One. And straightway he came with his palace, and worshiped at the feet of The Blessed One. And The Blessed One asked him:--
"Who is it worships at my feet,
And flames with glorious, magic power,
And in such sweet and Winning guise,
Lights up the quarters all around?"
"A frog was I in former times,
And wandered in the waters free,
And while I listened to thy Law,
A cowherd crushed me, and I died."

Then The Blessed One taught him the Doctrine, and the conversion of eighty four thousand living beings took place. And the frog, who had become a god, became established in the fruit of conversion, and with a pleased smile on his face departed.
svaha
"All human beings are born free and equal in dignity and rights.
They are endowed with reason and conscience and should act towards one another in a spirit of brotherhood.
Sarvē mānavāḥ svatantrāḥ samutpannāḥ vartantē api ca, gauravadr̥śā adhikāradr̥śā ca samānāḥ ēva vartantē. Ētē sarvē cētanā-tarka-śaktibhyāṁ susampannāḥ santi. Api ca, sarvē’pi bandhutva-bhāvanayā parasparaṁ vyavaharantu."
Universal Declaration of Human Rights, Article 1. (in english and sanskrit)
avatamsaka3

Post by avatamsaka3 »

Frog dharma... I dig it.

Return to “Mahāyāna Buddhism”