Desert island book

General forum on the teachings of all schools of Mahayana and Vajrayana Buddhism. Topics specific to one school are best posted in the appropriate sub-forum.
Virgo
Former staff member

Re: Desert island book

Post by Virgo » Wed Feb 19, 2020 5:30 pm

SteRo wrote:
Tue Feb 18, 2020 10:46 pm
PeterC wrote:
Tue Feb 18, 2020 10:33 am
... Can they be books that don't require an empowerment, but do normally require a reading transmission?
Strange ideas.
Standard idea in the Vajra vehicle.

Virgo

Simon E.

Post by Simon E. » Wed Feb 19, 2020 6:17 pm

Indeed.
“The difference between us and Tara is that she knows she doesn’t exist”.

AJP

Post by AJP » Thu Feb 20, 2020 6:31 am

Jamgon Kongtrul Buddhist Ethics would be one

SteRo

Post by SteRo » Thu Feb 20, 2020 10:14 am

Malcolm wrote:
Wed Feb 19, 2020 4:43 pm
SteRo wrote:
Wed Feb 19, 2020 2:24 pm

Maybe you want to apply specific tibetan conventions to the whole of Mahayana. :shrug:
No, I am sure he is referring to Vajrayāna material, which requires empowerment and transmission.
If one has subscribed to that tradition that may be the case. However if not subscribed only interest and knowledge of language is required. Don't know whether interest might arise if not subscribed ... maybe maybe not :shrug: ah wait ... e.g. academic interest

SonamTashi

Post by SonamTashi » Thu Feb 20, 2020 10:51 am

SteRo wrote:
Thu Feb 20, 2020 10:14 am
Malcolm wrote:
SteRo wrote:

Maybe you want to apply specific tibetan conventions to the whole of Mahayana. :shrug:
No, I am sure he is referring to Vajrayāna material, which requires empowerment and transmission.
If one has subscribed to that tradition that may be the case. However if not subscribed only interest and knowledge of language is required. Don't know whether interest might arise if not subscribed ... maybe maybe not :shrug: ah wait ... e.g. academic interest
Oh I haven't heard of these Vajrayana subscriptions before. How much are you guys paying?
:bow: :buddha1: :bow: :anjali: :meditate:

Simon E.

Post by Simon E. » Thu Feb 20, 2020 11:35 am

Everything ...and nothing.

Simon E.

Post by Simon E. » Thu Feb 20, 2020 11:36 am

SteRo wrote:
Thu Feb 20, 2020 10:14 am
Malcolm wrote:
SteRo wrote:

So we can assume that you will not be contributing to Vajrayana discussions?

SteRo

Post by SteRo » Thu Feb 20, 2020 1:32 pm

Simon E. wrote:
Thu Feb 20, 2020 11:36 am
As a rule I try to avoid the tibetan forum and everything outside of that I take to be either Mahayana other than vajrayana or general Mahayana where vajrayana conventions are only optional depending on practitioner. E.g. let's take the example of a vajrayana text/book. If I would be interested in it and had it available I would read it. In the general Mahayana forum it's ok to make this statement as a non-vajrayana practioner. But for a vajrayana practioner additional requirements for reading might be necessary.

Norwegian

Post by Norwegian » Thu Feb 20, 2020 2:00 pm

SteRo wrote:
Thu Feb 20, 2020 1:32 pm
Simon E. wrote:
As a rule I try to avoid the tibetan forum and everything outside of that I take to be either Mahayana other than vajrayana or general Mahayana where vajrayana conventions are only optional depending on practitioner. E.g. let's take the example of a vajrayana text/book. If I would be interested in it and had it available I would read it. In the general Mahayana forum it's ok to make this statement as a non-vajrayana practioner. But for a vajrayana practioner additional requirements for reading might be necessary.
If you're not a Vajrayana practitioner, Vajrayana texts are none of your business, sorry to say.
"The Guru is the Buddha, the Guru is the Dharma,
The Guru is the Sangha too,
The Guru is Śrī Heruka.
The All-Creating King is the Guru."

-- The Secret Assembly Tantra

SteRo

Post by SteRo » Thu Feb 20, 2020 2:04 pm

Norwegian wrote:
Thu Feb 20, 2020 2:00 pm
SteRo wrote:
Thu Feb 20, 2020 1:32 pm
Simon E. wrote:
If you're not a Vajrayana practitioner, Vajrayana texts are none of your business, sorry to say.
You're entitled to hold that position. Maybe as a vajrayana you have to hold that position. But it's an optional position depending on practitioner. Having said that I don't want to advocate reading texts of this or that tradition oneself does not follow. However if there is interest ... :shrug:

Queequeg
Global Moderator

Post by Queequeg » Thu Feb 20, 2020 2:40 pm

DNS wrote:
Tue Feb 18, 2020 5:24 pm
Aṅguttara Nikāya (numbered discourses of the Pali Canon)
and
Ekottara Āgama (numbered discourses of the Chinese Agamas Tripitaka)
Interesting that you would take the Nikaya and the Agama of more or less the same text. Can you explain your reasoning on that?
Those who, even with distracted minds,
Entered a stupa compound
And chanted but once, “Namo Buddhaya!”
Have certainly attained the path of the buddhas.

-Lotus Sutra, Expedient Means Chapter

There are beings with little dust in their eyes who are falling away because they do not hear the Dhamma. There will be those who will understand the Dhamma.
-Ayacana Sutta

DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS » Thu Feb 20, 2020 5:40 pm

Queequeg wrote:
Thu Feb 20, 2020 2:40 pm
DNS wrote:
and
Interesting that you would take the Nikaya and the Agama of more or less the same text. Can you explain your reasoning on that?
One is Theravada, one is Mahayana. I'm non-sectarian and it's my favorite Nikaya / Agama. :tongue:

Queequeg
Global Moderator

Post by Queequeg » Thu Feb 20, 2020 8:09 pm

DNS wrote:
Thu Feb 20, 2020 5:40 pm
Queequeg wrote:
Thu Feb 20, 2020 2:40 pm
DNS wrote:
and
One is Theravada, one is Mahayana. I'm non-sectarian and it's my favorite Nikaya / Agama. :tongue:
I've never seen the Agama but have read the Nikaya. Is there a big difference between them?
Those who, even with distracted minds,
Entered a stupa compound
And chanted but once, “Namo Buddhaya!”
Have certainly attained the path of the buddhas.

-Lotus Sutra, Expedient Means Chapter

There are beings with little dust in their eyes who are falling away because they do not hear the Dhamma. There will be those who will understand the Dhamma.
-Ayacana Sutta

Johnny Dangerous
Global Moderator

Post by Johnny Dangerous » Thu Feb 20, 2020 11:49 pm

As far as practical choices, I guess I'd probably bring a sadhana and some pith instructions, an unrestricted one if I go by the OP. Being trapped on a desert island would be a better opportunity for practicing than for reading/study.
"...if you think about how many hours, months and years of your life you've spent looking at things, being fascinated by things that have now passed away, then how wonderful to spend even five minutes looking into the nature of your own mind."

-James Low

DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS » Fri Feb 21, 2020 1:32 am

Queequeg wrote:
Thu Feb 20, 2020 8:09 pm
I've never seen the Agama but have read the Nikaya. Is there a big difference between them?
From what I've seen so far, not too much difference. It's hard to find English translations, but I have read some sutras. The Pali Canon version is much more accessible so far. Here are some sources for the Ekottarikāgama:

http://www.bdk.or.jp/english/english_tr ... _list.html
https://suttacentral.net/ea
https://en.wikisource.org/wiki/Ekottari ... E1%B9%9Bti

I'm looking forward to when there is the complete Agama in English in one large volume, like what we have with the Anguttara Nikaya.

tkp67

Post by tkp67 » Fri Feb 21, 2020 2:59 am

Johnny Dangerous wrote:
Thu Feb 20, 2020 11:49 pm
As far as practical choices, I guess I'd probably bring a sadhana and some pith instructions, an unrestricted one if I go by the OP. Being trapped on a desert island would be a better opportunity for practicing than for reading/study.
The lack of people had me thinking more along the lines of deserted island survival for dummies

PeterC

Post by PeterC » Fri Feb 21, 2020 4:04 am

Johnny Dangerous wrote:
That's an interesting question - which unrestricted texts would you go for in those two categories? I'm particularly interested in which upadesha you'd take with you

Ayu
Global Moderator

Post by Ayu » Fri Feb 21, 2020 9:13 am

dolphin_color wrote:
Tue Feb 18, 2020 2:36 am
If you were going to a desert island, and could only bring two books with you, which ones would you take to help you with your practice?

Some requirements: They have to pertain to a school of Buddhism. They cannot contain material that is restricted (i.e. would require an initiation to read). And they cannot be merely academic; they must have some sort of practice instruction, even if some of the book is merely academic. By "practice instruction", I mean anything that cultivates wisdom, insight into the nature of things, compassion, or any meditative state, not necessarily related to formal practice.
If I have to fullfill these requirements, I'd take Shantideva (Bodhicaryavatara)and Nagarjuna (Mādhyamika-śāstra) with me - translated to German. A desert island is the real opportunity to read and understand - I'm too distracted at home for to contemplate a single page. IF there are not too much mosquitos on that island, it could be possible to get it better. ;)
For the benefit and ease of all sentient beings. :heart:

SonamTashi

Post by SonamTashi » Fri Feb 21, 2020 10:34 am

Johnny Dangerous wrote:
This is along the lines of what I was thinking, but I wasn't considering a sadhana or practice text a book, so maybe I'm cheating a little bit. I'm currently doing my ngondro, so WOMPT and it's Guide seemed like natural choices, but I was thinking I'd bring my ngondro along as well. If that's cheating, then I guess I'd just leave the Guide behind.
:bow: :buddha1: :bow: :anjali: :meditate:

Sennin

Post by Sennin » Fri Feb 21, 2020 5:11 pm

Hagiographies of mahasiddhas.

Return to “Mahāyāna Buddhism”