what is compassion and how to develop compassion?

General forum on the teachings of all schools of Mahayana and Vajrayana Buddhism. Topics specific to one school are best posted in the appropriate sub-forum.
empting

what is compassion and how to develop compassion?

Post by empting » Fri Apr 17, 2020 3:00 pm

I think I dont have compassion and always being hard to love people

i feel the existence of humans is a mistake because they are suffering and create more suffering

as human continues to be alive, they accumulate more bad karma instead of good one and causes more and more problems to the planet. where as other beings who is positive can be dragged down by them into deepest pit of suffering

I am unsure how to learn to love people because it seems that there is a chakra block right side of my heart chakra

i wanted to attain Buddhahood and freed from samsara

Ayu
Global Moderator

Re: what is compassion and how to develop compassion?

Post by Ayu » Fri Apr 17, 2020 3:13 pm

I moved this topic from the Lounge to Mahayana Buddhism, because it's too precious. It concerns practice and Buddhist view.
For the benefit and ease of all sentient beings. :heart:

tingdzin

Post by tingdzin » Fri Apr 17, 2020 4:49 pm

This is indeed a broad and profound subject, and the following will just be a handful of leaves.

Yes, human beings are hard to love. If one looks at the world with clear eyes, it is hard to avoid your conclusion that most of us walk around causing harm, even when we want to help, or think we are benefiting people when in fact we are only feeding our own egos. However, it is important to realize that humans are not the only ones causing suffering, and that the human existence offers the best and maybe the only chance to leave suffering behind.

There are many, many different paths to develop compassion taught in Mahayana Buddhism, and at the beginning they don't look the same at all, but they all lead to the same goal, the development of the enlightening mind, which is one of the major aims of Mahayana. Some of these paths are more suited to those who naturally feel an affinity towards others, while some are more useful for those who are more repelled by worldly existence.

One of the most common tools used towards the development of the enlightening mind is practice of the so-called four immeasurable intentions: compassion, joy, benevolence and equanimity (there are slightly different translations of these terms). These four factors support each other, and, again, can be approached in different ways. Some approaches begin with compassion, but others like yourself, who might find it difficult to gain a foothold there, might better approach the cultivation of equanimity first. There are any number of good books that deal with this subject.

Whatever approach one finds useful, the important thing is to really practice it, and let it seep into your bones. If you do this, you will over a longer or shorter period of time, definitely gain results. If you just read the books, even if you know them backwards and forwards, if they don't change your outlook, it will have been a complete waste of time.

cjdevries

Post by cjdevries » Fri Apr 17, 2020 6:51 pm

I am reading "a Fearless Heart" by Thubten Jinpa. It is all about how to develop compassion. I highly recommend it.
"Without the mud, there is no lotus possible" -Thich Nhat Hanh
"Please call me by my true names so I can wake up; so the door of my heart can be left open: the door of compassion." -Thich Nhat Hanh

Return to “Mahāyāna Buddhism”