Prostration, Does it Alleviate Effect of Wrong Action

General forum on the teachings of all schools of Mahayana and Vajrayana Buddhism. Topics specific to one school are best posted in the appropriate sub-forum.
cjdevries

Prostration, Does it Alleviate Effect of Wrong Action

Post by cjdevries » Fri May 01, 2020 12:39 am

When you prostrate for purification, is it possible that actually some of the effect of the wrong action can be alleviated, especially if it is fairly recent, or is that just too much to ask?
"Without the mud, there is no lotus possible" -Thich Nhat Hanh
"Please call me by my true names so I can wake up; so the door of my heart can be left open: the door of compassion." -Thich Nhat Hanh

SteRo

Re: Prostration, Does it Alleviate Effect of Wrong Action

Post by SteRo » Fri May 01, 2020 4:07 am

It should not been done with that purpose in mind.

jake
Global Moderator

Post by jake » Fri May 01, 2020 4:10 am

SteRo wrote:
Fri May 01, 2020 4:07 am
In what tradition do you practice?

javier.espinoza.t

Post by javier.espinoza.t » Fri May 01, 2020 5:36 am

cjdevries wrote:
Fri May 01, 2020 12:39 am
When you prostrate for purification, is it possible that actually some of the effect of the wrong action can be alleviated, especially if it is fairly recent, or is that just too much to ask?
it can help with regretting havind done bad action, so yes.

it is good for aleviating our excesive pride. pride can be the stubborness of the kind "i didn't did anything wrong" and alike, so yes again.

SteRo

Post by SteRo » Fri May 01, 2020 6:17 am

jake wrote:
Fri May 01, 2020 4:10 am
SteRo wrote:
Why? I don't know any tradition that teaches that it should be done with the intention "Now I will alleviate the effect of my wrong action."

Vasana

Post by Vasana » Fri May 01, 2020 7:35 am

For more specific misdeeds uou should apply the four powers:

Then the Blessed One said to the bodhisattva mahāsattva Maitreya, “O Maitreya, bodhisattva mahāsattva, if you possess four factors, the misdeeds you have committed and accumulated will be overcome.

“What are these four? The action of repentance, antidotal action, the power of restraint, and the power of support.

“The action of repentance is to feel intense remorse for any non-virtuous action you have committed.

“Antidotal action is to put great effort into virtuous actions once you have committed a non-virtuous action.

“The power of restraint is to make a pledge and thereby refrain from any similar action.

“The power of support is to take refuge in the Buddha, Dharma and Saṅgha, and not to forsake the mind of awakening. By relying on such powerful forces, you will be immune to misdeeds.

“O Maitreya, bodhisattva mahāsattva, if you possess these four factors, you will overcome any misdeeds that you have committed and accumulated. The bodhisattva mahāsattva should continually read this sūtra, recite it aloud, and reflect and meditate on it, doing so many times. Through this, the effects of negative conduct will not come about.”
https://www.lotsawahouse.org/words-of-t ... ur-factors

Prostrations can also purify misdeeds and prevent other karmas from ripening due to their positive effect on health, merit but it's not so specific as the four powers. The prostrations would be counted as one of the many antidotal actions you could apply as part of the four powers. And they can be seen as the power of support if you mentally or verbally go for refuge as part of your prostrations.
ཨོཾ ་ མ ་ ཎི ་ པ ་ དྨེ ་ ཧཱུྃ ། འ ་ ཨ ་ ཧ ་ ཤ ་ ས ་ མ །
Om Mani Peme Hum ། 'A Ah Ha Sha Sa Ma
'When alone, watch your mind,When with others, watch your speech' - Old Kadampa saying

jake
Global Moderator

Post by jake » Fri May 01, 2020 11:46 am

SteRo wrote:
Fri May 01, 2020 6:17 am
jake wrote:
SteRo wrote:
Why? I don't know any tradition that teaches that it should be done with the intention "Now I will alleviate the effect of my wrong action."
Well, why do you prostrate in the tradition you practice?

SteRo

Post by SteRo » Fri May 01, 2020 12:32 pm

jake wrote:
Fri May 01, 2020 11:46 am
SteRo wrote:
Fri May 01, 2020 6:17 am
jake wrote:

Well, why do you prostrate in the tradition you practice?
Question does not apply.

Return to “Mahāyāna Buddhism”