Bodhisattva Hsuan Hua

General forum on the teachings of all schools of Mahayana and Vajrayana Buddhism. Topics specific to one school are best posted in the appropriate sub-forum.
Nicholas Weeks

Re: Bodhisattva Hsuan Hua

Post by Nicholas Weeks »

Here is a list of all the temples and centers that Master Hua founded:

http://www.drba.org/branches-and-monasteries.html

He emphasized these four on the West Coast of N. America:
The Dharma Realm Buddhist Association has established four Bodhimandas in the United States and Canada, which will serve as the bases for the propagation of the Buddhadharma.

1. The City of Ten Thousand Buddhas is Guanyin’s Bodhimanda, with Guanyin Bodhisattva in the primary position and Earth Treasury Bodhisattva in the secondary position.

2. Earth Treasury’s Bodhimanda is in Los Angeles [Gold Wheel], with Earth Treasury Bodhisattva in the primary position and Guanyin Bodhisattva in the secondary position.

3. Universal Worthy’s Bodhimanda is in Seattle [Gold Summit], with Universal Worthy Bodhisattva in the primary position and Manjushri Bodhisattva in the secondary position.

4. Manjushri’s Bodhimanda is in Vancouver [Gold Buddha], with Manjushri Bodhisattva in the primary position and Universal Worthy Bodhisattva in the secondary position.

The four great Bodhisattvas have come to the Western nations to help the Buddha spread the Dharma and teach people, and to make Buddhism flourish. When all the people believe in Buddhism, they can dispel their thoughts of greed, anger, and delusion. With no greed, no anger, and delusion, the Mind Ground will shine, and the world will be in harmony, free of wars forever.

If someone wants to pay homage to Manjushri Bodhisattva, please come to Vancouver. To pay homage to Universal Worthy Bodhisattva, please come to Seattle. To pay homage to Guanyin Bodhisattva, please come to the City of Ten Thousand Buddhas. To pay homage to Earth Treasury Bodhisattva, please come to Los Angeles. I hope that all Buddhists will sincerely and reverently pay homage to these four great Bodhisattvas, and diligently study the Buddhadharma.
May all seek, find & follow the Path of Buddhas.
Nicholas Weeks

Post by Nicholas Weeks »

His ideal for monastics:
Base yourselves on our Three Great Principles:

Freezing, we do not scheme.
Starving, we do not beg.
Dying of poverty, we ask for nothing.
According with conditions, we do not change.
Not changing, we accord with conditions.
We adhere to our Three Great Principles.

Don’t look lightly on those principles. Right now, Buddhism is guilty of just these very faults. The Buddhists of all countries have these shortcomings. Basically, it’s okay for left-home people to ask for alms, but they’ve gone overboard, and so we have to counteract that problem. The Buddha did allow left-home people to seek alms and vegetarian food. However, if people leave the home life exclusively for the purpose of asking for money, and do not cultivate, then they’re making a mistake!

Therefore, we want to leave the home life exclusively for the purpose of cultivating, and not for the purpose of scheming, begging, or asking for offerings. Pay special attention to this point.
Nicholas Weeks

Post by Nicholas Weeks »

On the value of sutra study for gaining one of the five eyes:
Where does the eye of wisdom come from? It comes from studying the sutras. If you study the sutras, especially the Surangama Sutra, you will develop great wisdom. That sutra is for unfolding great wisdom. The Dharma Flower Sutra is for realizing Buddhahood. The Flower Adornment Sutra is for developing wisdom and realizing Buddhahood; it has both functions.
Nicholas Weeks

Post by Nicholas Weeks »

Time passes very quickly. The sun and moon move back and forth like a shuttle, never stopping for an instant. People progress from youth to their prime, and from their prime onwards to old age. And those who are old are fast approaching death. They go through their lives muddled and confused. When they’re born, they don’t understand; when they die, they still don’t understand. This lack of understanding is ignorance. They are fettered by their ignorance, so they cannot attain liberation. If they understood, they would be liberated.

In the past there was an old cultivator who went to request the Dharma from a wise teacher. He asked, “Please tell me: how can I attain liberation?”

The good teacher didn’t tell him how he could attain liberation. Instead, he came back with a question: “Who tied you up?”

Instantaneously, that old cultivator became enlightened: “Oh! I’ve been tying myself up. Nobody else tied me up. If I don’t tie myself up, I can be liberated.”

The old cultivator became enlightened upon asking his teacher that question. Right now we can also ask ourselves the same question. No one knows who will become enlightened and who will remain unenlightened.
Nicholas Weeks

Post by Nicholas Weeks »

夢幻泡影

人我生壽心中影
無明有漏海上泡
諸法空相度群頑
慈智願成為夢醒

Cultivating the Bodhi Path
Composed by Venerable Master Hsuan Hua

Dreams, Illusions, Bubbles, Shadows
Marks of self, others, living beings and longevity are shadows in the mind.
Ignorance has outflows, just like bubbles in the sea.
Devoid of marks, the myriad dharma rescues the headstrong ones.
With kind wisdom, fulfill the resolve to awaken from dreams.
Nicholas Weeks

Post by Nicholas Weeks »

Earth Store Bodhisattva, Master Hua, a novice bhikshuni & her dying mother:

http://www.cttbusa.org/talks/40.asp
Nicholas Weeks

Post by Nicholas Weeks »

Master Hua dropped his skin bag in early June of 1995. Here are his vows made when just a boy:

http://www.cttbusa.org/founder/18vows.asp

Return to “Mahāyāna Buddhism”