Attending teachings and seeing teachers

Forum for discussion of Tibetan Buddhism. Questions specific to one school are best posted in the appropriate sub-forum.
HandsomeMonkeyking

Attending teachings and seeing teachers

Postby HandsomeMonkeyking » Mon Mar 20, 2017 8:09 pm

Hello,

I wonder: if you have listened to a teacher and received empowerment from him. Should you follow/listen/attend this teacher's teachings only?
If you practise teachings of one lineage should you stay in that lineage and do only these practises?

In general can you do anything wrong, damage in any way? And will people tell you so before you do it, so you dont do it by accident?

I have attended the teachings of some teachers, listened to them, received empowerment and some occcasions. On these ocassions the teacher said there are no obligations. At one, one was asked to do Guru Yoga, as it will include all other practises and one doesnt need to worry.

This sounds good to me. But I think I have heard others say that they have more obligatations and then you need to take care then you dont do something by accident/without knowing or understanding.

For example I saw that S.H. Drikung Kyabgön Chetsang will come to Germany this year. I think about going there. I don't anything about the Drikung Kagyu, I would like to learn though. It seems there are only few books. I would like to go to the this event https://www.garchen.de/index.php/de/43-aktuelles/278-besuchhh-juni2017 and hear about their Mahamudra.

Generally this feeling that there is the possibility that one does something wrong, gets into something one isnt aware of etc. makes me feel uncomfortable. So I would like to ask you people for some rules and guidelines.

Thanks in advance.

philji

Re: Attending teachings and seeing teachers

Postby philji » Mon Mar 20, 2017 8:19 pm

Listening to teachings and receiving empowerments does not restrict you or tie you to the teacher. Of course if you have received empowerment there may be samaya/ commitments..this you can check but even so this will not prevent you from receiving teachings or empowerments from another teacher. Especially in the early days of ones dharma practice it is good to go to different teachers.....this may change later and you may CHOOSE to remain with one or two.
Good luck.

Johnny Dangerous
Global Moderator

Postby Johnny Dangerous » Mon Mar 20, 2017 11:28 pm

I don't see any reason to be exclusive like that personally, however the answer is definitely an individual one.

The best piece of advice i've gotten is "confusion is a voice you cannot ignore", or something to that effect. So to some degree it's about being honest with yourself as to whether or not you are applying yourself to teachings, and making a connection with teachers, or just shopping around.

The other piece of advice that makes sense is to find one teacher whom you trust enough to be the "go to" person for questions. Even if you do not yet have someone you consider a root guru, having a person whose opinion you really and truly trust when you have questions such as these makes a big difference.

As far as teachings, go for the auspicious experience, the connection to the teacher, and the teachings themselves and -not- as some sort of credentialing, "i've had this and that empowerment, now I need this one" etc...
May the eyes of living beings be gladdened by skies made splendid by clouds
that lightnings garland, while on earth below, the peacocks dance with joy as
showers of rain, falling gently, approach.

-The Door Of Happiness

muni

Postby muni » Tue Mar 21, 2017 12:40 pm

If you wish genuinly to be free, when this power is strong, you will not do so easy something wrong. Guidance-trust can help.

And the advice by the Four Reliances is a very important help:
http://www.rigpawiki.org/index.php?title=Four_reliances
Rest in natural great peace this exhausted mind,
Beaten helplessly by karma and neurotic thoughts
Like the relentless fury of the pounding waves
In the infinite ocean of samsara.
Rest in natural great peace.
~Nyoshul Khenpo Rinpoche

Return to “Tibetan Buddhism”