Samaya in Vajrayāna

Forum for discussion of Tibetan Buddhism. Questions specific to one school are best posted in the appropriate sub-forum.
chimechodra

Re: Samaya in Vajrayāna

Post by chimechodra » Sat Feb 24, 2018 4:59 pm

Where does a refuge tree image fall in these discussions? The refuge tree I use has protectors depicted on them. It sounds like this should be hidden?

Edit: Also, what about statues/images of Guru Rinpoche?

Grigoris
Global Moderator

Re: Samaya in Vajrayāna

Post by Grigoris » Sat Feb 24, 2018 6:36 pm

chimechodra wrote:
Sat Feb 24, 2018 4:59 pm
Where does a refuge tree image fall in these discussions? The refuge tree I use has protectors depicted on them. It sounds like this should be hidden?

Edit: Also, what about statues/images of Guru Rinpoche?
Generally, you should keep YOUR Yidam and Dharmapalas out of sight, especially of the uninitiated. You cannot stop other's displaying them, of course.

Most Refuge Tree prints I have seen are too small for a person to recognise the details of any of the deities depicted there. If the one you have renders them recognisable, then I guess keeping it out of sight of people not affiliated to your lineage may be a good idea.
"My religion is not deceiving myself."
Jetsun Milarepa 1052-1135 CE

"Butchers, prostitutes, those guilty of the five most heinous crimes, outcasts, the underprivileged: all are utterly the substance of existence and nothing other than total bliss."
The Supreme Source - The Kunjed Gyalpo
The Fundamental Tantra of Dzogchen Semde

Return to “Tibetan Buddhism”