Protections

Forum for discussion of Tibetan Buddhism. Questions specific to one school are best posted in the appropriate sub-forum.
User avatar
javier.espinoza.t
Posts: 690
Joined: Sun Jan 01, 2017 12:29 am

Protections

Post by javier.espinoza.t » Mon Jun 18, 2018 12:14 am

Hello all,

I would like to ask how can i make protections, like protection cords etc. I have being practitioner for years and would like to do some protection for others now.

Any directions i will apreciate very much.

🙏

Norwegian
Posts: 1338
Joined: Thu Dec 01, 2011 7:36 pm

Re: Protections

Post by Norwegian » Mon Jun 18, 2018 12:21 am

javier.espinoza.t wrote:
Mon Jun 18, 2018 12:14 am
Hello all,

I would like to ask how can i make protections, like protection cords etc. I have being practitioner for years and would like to do some protection for others now.

Any directions i will apreciate very much.

🙏
It's not really about how long you've been a practitioner, it's about your qualities as a practitioner. So, do you have power of mantra? Have you realized the practice of your yidam? If not, well...

User avatar
javier.espinoza.t
Posts: 690
Joined: Sun Jan 01, 2017 12:29 am

Re: Protections

Post by javier.espinoza.t » Mon Jun 18, 2018 12:46 am

Norwegian wrote:
Mon Jun 18, 2018 12:21 am
javier.espinoza.t wrote:
Mon Jun 18, 2018 12:14 am
Hello all,

I would like to ask how can i make protections, like protection cords etc. I have being practitioner for years and would like to do some protection for others now.

Any directions i will apreciate very much.

🙏
It's not really about how long you've been a practitioner, it's about your qualities as a practitioner. So, do you have power of mantra? Have you realized the practice of your yidam? If not, well...
How tell, i really don't know. I'm as serious as i can, that i can say

User avatar
Sennin
Posts: 620
Joined: Wed Aug 15, 2012 1:19 am

Re: Protections

Post by Sennin » Mon Jun 18, 2018 12:56 am

javier.espinoza.t wrote:
Mon Jun 18, 2018 12:46 am
Norwegian wrote:
Mon Jun 18, 2018 12:21 am
javier.espinoza.t wrote:
Mon Jun 18, 2018 12:14 am
Hello all,

I would like to ask how can i make protections, like protection cords etc. I have being practitioner for years and would like to do some protection for others now.

Any directions i will apreciate very much.

🙏
It's not really about how long you've been a practitioner, it's about your qualities as a practitioner. So, do you have power of mantra? Have you realized the practice of your yidam? If not, well...
How tell, i really don't know. I'm as serious as i can, that i can say
Does your Vajra and Bell float in space?
Go no paradigm! ;)

User avatar
javier.espinoza.t
Posts: 690
Joined: Sun Jan 01, 2017 12:29 am

Re: Protections

Post by javier.espinoza.t » Mon Jun 18, 2018 1:12 am

Sennin wrote:
Mon Jun 18, 2018 12:56 am
javier.espinoza.t wrote:
Mon Jun 18, 2018 12:46 am
Norwegian wrote:
Mon Jun 18, 2018 12:21 am

It's not really about how long you've been a practitioner, it's about your qualities as a practitioner. So, do you have power of mantra? Have you realized the practice of your yidam? If not, well...
How tell, i really don't know. I'm as serious as i can, that i can say
Does your Vajra and Bell float in space?
No, my vajra and bell are symbols. Even if the material things where floating i would keep it in absolute secret, due to common sense.

User avatar
Sennin
Posts: 620
Joined: Wed Aug 15, 2012 1:19 am

Re: Protections

Post by Sennin » Mon Jun 18, 2018 1:15 am

javier.espinoza.t wrote:
Mon Jun 18, 2018 1:12 am
Sennin wrote:
Mon Jun 18, 2018 12:56 am
javier.espinoza.t wrote:
Mon Jun 18, 2018 12:46 am


How tell, i really don't know. I'm as serious as i can, that i can say
Does your Vajra and Bell float in space?
No, my vajra and bell are symbols. Even if the material things where floating i would keep it in absolute secret, due to common sense.
Well you asked how to tell... :tongue:
Go no paradigm! ;)

User avatar
javier.espinoza.t
Posts: 690
Joined: Sun Jan 01, 2017 12:29 am

Re: Protections

Post by javier.espinoza.t » Mon Jun 18, 2018 1:30 am

Sennin wrote:
Mon Jun 18, 2018 1:15 am
javier.espinoza.t wrote:
Mon Jun 18, 2018 1:12 am
Sennin wrote:
Mon Jun 18, 2018 12:56 am


Does your Vajra and Bell float in space?
No, my vajra and bell are symbols. Even if the material things where floating i would keep it in absolute secret, due to common sense.
Well you asked how to tell... :tongue:
I understand :)

User avatar
Fa Dao
Posts: 837
Joined: Sat Apr 23, 2011 5:42 pm

Re: Protections

Post by Fa Dao » Mon Jun 18, 2018 3:03 am

If you are a student of ChNN and have had the Vajra Armor lung you could go that direction
"But if you know how to observe yourself, you will discover your real nature, the primordial state, the state of Guruyoga, and then all will become clear because you will have discovered everything"-Namkhai Norbu Rinpoche

User avatar
Josef
Posts: 2089
Joined: Thu Jan 07, 2010 6:44 pm
Contact:

Re: Protections

Post by Josef » Mon Jun 18, 2018 5:01 am

javier.espinoza.t wrote:
Mon Jun 18, 2018 12:14 am
Hello all,

I would like to ask how can i make protections, like protection cords etc. I have being practitioner for years and would like to do some protection for others now.

Any directions i will apreciate very much.

🙏
Cultivate bodhicitta
Kye ma!
The river of continuity is marked by impermanence.
Ceaseless flowing of appearance.
Beautiful and repulsive.
The dance of life and death is a display of the vast expanse.
With gratitude the watcher and the watched pass through the barrier of duality.

User avatar
javier.espinoza.t
Posts: 690
Joined: Sun Jan 01, 2017 12:29 am

Re: Protections

Post by javier.espinoza.t » Mon Jun 18, 2018 6:47 am

Fa Dao wrote:
Mon Jun 18, 2018 3:03 am
If you are a student of ChNN and have had the Vajra Armor lung you could go that direction
Actually i have done the dorje kotrab retreat and made 4 relics, but the relicary is too expensive for me now (i used silver instead of gold, that i could pay).

I was looking for something more simpler that can be used by anyone. Afaik ChNN prot cords that he gives to children are related to the astrological condition, the birth day, but i couldn't get more info on them.

User avatar
javier.espinoza.t
Posts: 690
Joined: Sun Jan 01, 2017 12:29 am

Re: Protections

Post by javier.espinoza.t » Mon Jun 18, 2018 6:56 am

Josef wrote:
Mon Jun 18, 2018 5:01 am
javier.espinoza.t wrote:
Mon Jun 18, 2018 12:14 am
Hello all,

I would like to ask how can i make protections, like protection cords etc. I have being practitioner for years and would like to do some protection for others now.

Any directions i will apreciate very much.

🙏
Cultivate bodhicitta
Yes, also that's the precise reason why i want to do very precise things in a precise way 🙏

User avatar
Grigoris
Global Moderator
Posts: 17129
Joined: Fri May 14, 2010 9:27 pm
Location: Greece

Re: Protections

Post by Grigoris » Mon Jun 18, 2018 9:07 am

Dedicate merit.

You can buy certain amulets, etc... and breathe on them after doing mantra, in which case it is the power of the mantra doing the work ,rather than your personal ability. ;)
"My religion is not deceiving myself."
Jetsun Milarepa 1052-1135 CE

"Butchers, prostitutes, those guilty of the five most heinous crimes, outcasts, the underprivileged: all are utterly the substance of existence and nothing other than total bliss."
The Supreme Source - The Kunjed Gyalpo
The Fundamental Tantra of Dzogchen Semde

Miroku
Posts: 610
Joined: Fri Jul 24, 2015 11:18 am

Re: Protections

Post by Miroku » Mon Jun 18, 2018 9:13 am

Here is Garchen Rinpoche's teaching on this http://www.drikungseattle.org/uploads/5 ... _15.05.pdf
Child, if you are not hypocritical and out of control, that is conduct.
~ Padampa Sangye

You say such clever things to people, but you do not apply them to yourself.
The faults within you are the ones to be exposed.
~ Padampa Sangye

Miroku
Posts: 610
Joined: Fri Jul 24, 2015 11:18 am

Re: Protections

Post by Miroku » Mon Jun 18, 2018 9:20 am

But generaly I believe Grigoris' advice is the best. Since you are from DC you can also do song of vajra or 25 spaces or something like that with the intention to empower the cord and it should work (especially if you really are a dzogchen practitioner :D, maybe Malcolm could tell you more). Otherwise I'd probably go for Khorwa Kongtrug, or maybe Tara.
Child, if you are not hypocritical and out of control, that is conduct.
~ Padampa Sangye

You say such clever things to people, but you do not apply them to yourself.
The faults within you are the ones to be exposed.
~ Padampa Sangye

pemachophel
Posts: 1145
Joined: Sat Dec 25, 2010 9:19 pm
Location: Lafayette, CO

Re: Protections

Post by pemachophel » Mon Jun 18, 2018 4:06 pm

IME, the original reply was very important as was Javier's question in response.

Creating amulets, making and consecrating blessings cords, etc. all require that one has achieved the power of mantra through one's practice. These are lay-jor/activities based on having accomplished the approach (nyen-pa) and accomplishment (drub-pa) of a particular Deity/mantra. In Vajrayana, one knows if one has achieved the power of mantra by the signs of accomplishment (typically included in the sadhana one is doing). IME, In addition, your Teacher can confirm your accomplishment and authorize you to do such activities. Sometimes the Teacher will actually give you tests similar to how drying sheets in md-winter is used as a test to see if one has actually developed tummo or how a piece of kusha grass is inserted in the Door of Brahma to see if one has accomplished phowa. Or rainmakers and hail-averters are tested by seeing if one can actually make it rain or stop an impending hail storm. Similarly, in the Vajra Armor literature, there are very clear descriptions of the signs of accomplishment and tests for such accomplishment. This is not wishful thinking, i.e., hoping one's practice has born fruit. It is knowing that, and further, doing the practice until one does get the right signs/passes the test.

Also, in Vajrayana, the bell and dorje are symbols. Agreed. But they are also much more than that. They are samaya implements that are consecrated (by one's Teacher and/or by oneself every morning). If done correctly by a person with the power of mantra, they are repositories of siddhi. Literally, they are like a magic wand. Similarly, for many lay-jor, such as creating amulets, there are samaya substances used for consecration and empowerment. These are an important component of such activities. Ngakpa go to great lengths and expenses to get such samaya substances, some of which can be very, very rare or hard to come by, not to say illegal.

IME, mantrayana is so much more involved and so much more powerful than most Western practitioners have any idea. If you want to accomplish the power of mantra, go to a Teacher that specializes in this, prizes this, has accomplished this, and teaches this. Not all Tibetan Buddhist Teachers are true ngakpa, not even all Realized Teachers. That's why, in Vajrayana, protection cords, amulets, dud-tsi, etc. from some Teachers are prized much more highly than from others. In addition, some Teachers/ngakpa specialize in one particular kind of amulet, protection knot, etc., such as Lama Wangdu's black scorpion knots.

I do not mean to denigrate or criticize anyone's Teachers or practice. I am just describing how this is generally viewed by Vajrayana practitioners and Himalayan people.
Pema Chophel པདྨ་ཆོས་འཕེལ

User avatar
Josef
Posts: 2089
Joined: Thu Jan 07, 2010 6:44 pm
Contact:

Re: Protections

Post by Josef » Mon Jun 18, 2018 4:45 pm

javier.espinoza.t wrote:
Mon Jun 18, 2018 6:56 am
Josef wrote:
Mon Jun 18, 2018 5:01 am
javier.espinoza.t wrote:
Mon Jun 18, 2018 12:14 am
Hello all,

I would like to ask how can i make protections, like protection cords etc. I have being practitioner for years and would like to do some protection for others now.

Any directions i will apreciate very much.

🙏
Cultivate bodhicitta
Yes, also that's the precise reason why i want to do very precise things in a precise way 🙏
Bodhicitta accomplishes both.
Kye ma!
The river of continuity is marked by impermanence.
Ceaseless flowing of appearance.
Beautiful and repulsive.
The dance of life and death is a display of the vast expanse.
With gratitude the watcher and the watched pass through the barrier of duality.

User avatar
javier.espinoza.t
Posts: 690
Joined: Sun Jan 01, 2017 12:29 am

Re: Protections

Post by javier.espinoza.t » Mon Jun 18, 2018 5:29 pm

pemachophel wrote:
Mon Jun 18, 2018 4:06 pm
IME, the original reply was very important as was Javier's question in response.

Creating amulets, making and consecrating blessings cords, etc. all require that one has achieved the power of mantra through one's practice. These are lay-jor/activities based on having accomplished the approach (nyen-pa) and accomplishment (drub-pa) of a particular Deity/mantra. In Vajrayana, one knows if one has achieved the power of mantra by the signs of accomplishment (typically included in the sadhana one is doing). IME, In addition, your Teacher can confirm your accomplishment and authorize you to do such activities. Sometimes the Teacher will actually give you tests similar to how drying sheets in md-winter is used as a test to see if one has actually developed tummo or how a piece of kusha grass is inserted in the Door of Brahma to see if one has accomplished phowa. Or rainmakers and hail-averters are tested by seeing if one can actually make it rain or stop an impending hail storm. Similarly, in the Vajra Armor literature, there are very clear descriptions of the signs of accomplishment and tests for such accomplishment. This is not wishful thinking, i.e., hoping one's practice has born fruit. It is knowing that, and further, doing the practice until one does get the right signs/passes the test.

Also, in Vajrayana, the bell and dorje are symbols. Agreed. But they are also much more than that. They are samaya implements that are consecrated (by one's Teacher and/or by oneself every morning). If done correctly by a person with the power of mantra, they are repositories of siddhi. Literally, they are like a magic wand. Similarly, for many lay-jor, such as creating amulets, there are samaya substances used for consecration and empowerment. These are an important component of such activities. Ngakpa go to great lengths and expenses to get such samaya substances, some of which can be very, very rare or hard to come by, not to say illegal.

IME, mantrayana is so much more involved and so much more powerful than most Western practitioners have any idea. If you want to accomplish the power of mantra, go to a Teacher that specializes in this, prizes this, has accomplished this, and teaches this. Not all Tibetan Buddhist Teachers are true ngakpa, not even all Realized Teachers. That's why, in Vajrayana, protection cords, amulets, dud-tsi, etc. from some Teachers are prized much more highly than from others. In addition, some Teachers/ngakpa specialize in one particular kind of amulet, protection knot, etc., such as Lama Wangdu's black scorpion knots.

I do not mean to denigrate or criticize anyone's Teachers or practice. I am just describing how this is generally viewed by Vajrayana practitioners and Himalayan people.
Thank you, it has a lot of requisites. I really apreciate this clarifications.

pemachophel
Posts: 1145
Joined: Sat Dec 25, 2010 9:19 pm
Location: Lafayette, CO

Re: Protections

Post by pemachophel » Mon Jun 18, 2018 8:08 pm

Because many practitioners don't know much about signs of accomplishment when doing mantra/Deity practice, I'd like to give some other common signs.

For instance, when doing tshe-drub/long life accomplishment, it is common to measure the long-life arrow on your mandala. Then, at the end of the retreat, you measure it again to see if it has grown. If so, then you know your life-span has been extended.

In several different Saraswati sadhanas, one practices until the tambura (stringed instrument) on your mandala starts to play/emit music on its own.

For Gesar's whip lay-jor according to Ju Mipham, one practices until the whip (actually more of a riding crop) emits sparks.

Of course, there is always the spontaneous flaming of the men-rak, showers of flower petals seemingly coming from nowhere, rainbow halos around the sun, the production of amrit or nectar on the altar, the production of ringsel from out of space, the spontaneous increase of samaya substances such as dud-tsi, long-life pills, wealth pills, etc.

The last time my Teacher made Vajra Armor amulets according to the instructions of Dorje Lingpa (it took Him several years to get all the parts and pieces made as He would say "properly"), 12 amulets were sealed in a container for the consecration. (My Teacher had a receipt for exactly 12 amulets from the craftsman who made the outer amulets. Since gold was involved, everyone was careful about the count.) When the container was opened after the consecration, there were 13 amulets.

Of course, meeting your Deity in either dream or face-to-face in waking life is a sign of accomplishment.

Also, finding or being given your Deity's chag-tshen/hand impletements is a sign of accomplishment.

Someone sees you while you are practicing and, instead of seeing the ordinary human you, sees the Deity Him- or Herself.

Since all of these signs can be found in the English language literature, I don't think I am breaking any samaya sharing these on this particular forum.
Pema Chophel པདྨ་ཆོས་འཕེལ

User avatar
javier.espinoza.t
Posts: 690
Joined: Sun Jan 01, 2017 12:29 am

Re: Protections

Post by javier.espinoza.t » Mon Jun 18, 2018 9:18 pm

Josef wrote:
Mon Jun 18, 2018 4:45 pm
javier.espinoza.t wrote:
Mon Jun 18, 2018 6:56 am
Josef wrote:
Mon Jun 18, 2018 5:01 am


Cultivate bodhicitta
Yes, also that's the precise reason why i want to do very precise things in a precise way 🙏
Bodhicitta accomplishes both.
Your answer made a bownce in my head, i think i understand what you meant but that's falacious, i must say.

I mean, intentions is not relative boddhicita, is only half of it, being the other part the perfect action. Without action, doings, performances, intentions are only good for yourself, so is no complete boddhicita.

Forgive me if i where wrong pretending to understand what you meant.

User avatar
Josef
Posts: 2089
Joined: Thu Jan 07, 2010 6:44 pm
Contact:

Re: Protections

Post by Josef » Mon Jun 18, 2018 9:35 pm

javier.espinoza.t wrote:
Mon Jun 18, 2018 9:18 pm
Josef wrote:
Mon Jun 18, 2018 4:45 pm
javier.espinoza.t wrote:
Mon Jun 18, 2018 6:56 am


Yes, also that's the precise reason why i want to do very precise things in a precise way 🙏
Bodhicitta accomplishes both.
Your answer made a bownce in my head, i think i understand what you meant but that's falacious, i must say.

I mean, intentions is not relative boddhicita, is only half of it, being the other part the perfect action. Without action, doings, performances, intentions are only good for yourself, so is no complete boddhicita.

Forgive me if i where wrong pretending to understand what you meant.
Bodhicitta is far more than aspiration or intention. It is the fuel of liberation and liberation itself. Applying bodhicitta in action, intention, and with the wisdom of the ultimate meaning is the ultimate protection for all beings.

Through bodhicitta we have limitless capacity to benefit beings in thought, word, and deed. We also have the ability to inspire them to cultivate bodhicitta themselves and practice dharma in order to become buddhas.
This protection is sincere, authentic, and incapable of being tainted by the 8 worldly concerns. That and no need worry about levitating implements.
Kye ma!
The river of continuity is marked by impermanence.
Ceaseless flowing of appearance.
Beautiful and repulsive.
The dance of life and death is a display of the vast expanse.
With gratitude the watcher and the watched pass through the barrier of duality.

Post Reply

Return to “Tibetan Buddhism”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: dharmafootsteps, Jangchup Donden, Kamshan, namoh, narhwal90, Tenma, Terma and 123 guests