Lo Jong?

Forum for discussion of Tibetan Buddhism. Questions specific to one school are best posted in the appropriate sub-forum.
Cinnabar

Lo Jong?

Post by Cinnabar » Sun Aug 11, 2019 10:51 pm

I'm interested in context regarding lo jong mind training teachings.

DISCLAIMER: I have transmission and instructions for lo jong mind training teachings from teachers who hold the lineages for these instructions. I'm not trying to poach instructions on the internet and practice them without instruction. I'm also not trying to practice from books in the absence of a teacher. I'm also not asking about specific instructions.

I'm particularly interested in the lineage of different lo jong instructions in the Nyingma tradition.

It's fairly clear to me how the lo jong enters the Gelug through the Kadam, and the Kagyu through Gampopa.

I'm curious how the lineages of the different lo jong instructions enter and are passed down in the Nyingma lineage.

Are there any lineage prayers for these instructions in the Nyingma tradition?

Cinnabar

Re: Lo Jong?

Post by Cinnabar » Mon Aug 12, 2019 4:40 am

Poking into it, I see there are lineage prayers, including one by Patrul Rinpoche, for the bodhicharyavatara.

I don't find any for the 8 Verses of Mind Training, The Seven Point Mind Training, or the 37 Bodhisattva Practices.

Cinnabar

Post by Cinnabar » Tue Aug 13, 2019 6:21 pm

Anyone?

Jangchup Donden

Post by Jangchup Donden » Tue Aug 13, 2019 7:23 pm

Did a little googling and found this on the shambhala website:

https://www.shambhala.com/lojong-mind-training/
However, there is a particular and very unique Nyingma presentation of lojong and that is Steps to the Great Perfection: The Mind-Training Tradition of the Dzogchen Masters. In this unique and masterful work, Jigme Lingpa presents mind training from the core teachings familiar in all the above works and then introduces the Dzogchen-specific instructions.
Might be worth looking into Jigme Lingpa's Steps to the Great Perfection:

https://www.shambhala.com/steps-to-the- ... 15118.html

heart

Post by heart » Tue Aug 13, 2019 7:44 pm

Jangchup Donden wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 7:23 pm
Did a little googling and found this on the shambhala website:

https://www.shambhala.com/lojong-mind-training/
However, there is a particular and very unique Nyingma presentation of lojong and that is Steps to the Great Perfection: The Mind-Training Tradition of the Dzogchen Masters. In this unique and masterful work, Jigme Lingpa presents mind training from the core teachings familiar in all the above works and then introduces the Dzogchen-specific instructions.
Might be worth looking into Jigme Lingpa's Steps to the Great Perfection:

https://www.shambhala.com/steps-to-the- ... 15118.html
The seven points of mind training in Dzogchen come from the Vima Nyingtik. That book is a great source.

/magnus
"We are all here to help each other go through this thing, whatever it is."
~Kurt Vonnegut

"The principal practice is Guruyoga. But we need to understand that any secondary practice combined with Guruyoga becomes a principal practice." ChNNR (Teachings on Thun and Ganapuja)

Cinnabar

Post by Cinnabar » Tue Aug 13, 2019 11:48 pm

My question is about sutrayana mahayana lo jong lineages in Nyingma.

* their lineages
* their lineage prayers
* the lineage masters
* how/when they entered
* the circumstances of their entering

Not about dzogchen Nyingma lineages such as the seven lo jong associated with the Chetsun Nyigthig or Vima Nyigthig.

heart

Post by heart » Wed Aug 14, 2019 5:18 am

Cinnabar wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 11:48 pm
My question is about sutrayana mahayana lo jong lineages in Nyingma.

* their lineages
* their lineage prayers
* the lineage masters
* how/when they entered
* the circumstances of their entering

Not about dzogchen Nyingma lineages such as the seven lo jong associated with the Chetsun Nyigthig or Vima Nyigthig.
Lineage is not that important in general Mahayana, the obsession with lineage is a Vajrayana thing.

/magnus
~Kurt Vonnegut

"The principal practice is Guruyoga. But we need to understand that any secondary practice combined with Guruyoga becomes a principal practice." ChNNR (Teachings on Thun and Ganapuja)

Cinnabar

Post by Cinnabar » Wed Aug 14, 2019 6:37 pm

heart wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 5:18 am

Lineage is not that important in general Mahayana, the obsession with lineage is a Vajrayana thing.

/magnus
OK. I was thinking of the lo jong and lam rim lineages that accompany the lam rim literature, and which even appear in some versions of the jorcho practice.

I was thinking they must exist in Nyingma.

I was also thinking there must be some historical and textual analysis that shows their arrival in the Nyingma lineage.

heart

Post by heart » Wed Aug 14, 2019 7:45 pm

Cinnabar wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 6:37 pm
heart wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 5:18 am

/magnus
OK. I was thinking of the lo jong and lam rim lineages that accompany the lam rim literature, and which even appear in some versions of the jorcho practice.

I was thinking they must exist in Nyingma.

I was also thinking there must be some historical and textual analysis that shows their arrival in the Nyingma lineage.
I think you find everything in "The Nyingma School of Tibetan Buddhism".

/magnus
~Kurt Vonnegut

Cinnabar

Post by Cinnabar » Wed Aug 14, 2019 7:59 pm

heart wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 7:45 pm

I think you find everything in "The Nyingma School of Tibetan Buddhism".

/magnus
I'll check again. I don't remember it having the lineage of transmission of the various classic mahayana lo jong texts.

Return to “Tibetan Buddhism”