Advice for Consultation with Guru

Forum for discussion of Tibetan Buddhism. Questions specific to one school are best posted in the appropriate sub-forum.
n8pee

Advice for Consultation with Guru

Post by n8pee » Sat May 23, 2020 3:32 am

I've not spoken to my root guru in seven years or so due to my travel and moving around the U.S. I've recently secured an audience via Zoom, which has been made available due to today's COVID crisis.

I have specific practice questions of course. But I feel this urge to let him know his impact on my life, as I've never had a significant private audience with him, but don't wish to make our time together about me and my perceptions. I first met with the lineage teachings nearly twenty years ago.

I am welcome to any advice about how best to utilize the guru's time. From my side he is Vajradhara, and has been the source of all blessings. How does one meaningfully communicate in this situation?

明安 Myoan
Former staff member

Re: Advice for Consultation with Guru

Post by 明安 Myoan » Sat May 23, 2020 3:36 am

Remember their wish to help you.
With a heart wandering in ignorance down this path and that, to guide me I simply say Namu-Amida-Butsu. -- Ippen

Reciting the nembutsu and believing in birth in the Pure Land naturally give rise to the Three Minds and the Four Modes of Practice. -- Master Hōnen

krish5

Post by krish5 » Sat May 23, 2020 3:44 am

Just be sincere and coming from good motivation to best use this time wisely. You can just briefly mention like what you wrote here, telling him i have some specific practice questions and dont want to make this about myself, but want you to know you definitely impacted my life big time. If we have time, at the end, i would love to share more about it. Your devotion towards him can be seen, felt, i am sure by him, even if you dont get a chance to say much via words to thank him.

Use this opportunity wisely, prepare for it, write down all your questions you want to ask, clear any doubts or concerns you have, that is the best use of this time probably.

Listen carefully, closely to everything he says and afterwards, take notes or if possible record it, for future use and reflection.

Blessings on your consultation.

n8pee

Post by n8pee » Sat May 23, 2020 3:50 am

Use this opportunity wisely, prepare for it, write down all your questions you want to ask, clear any doubts or concerns you have, that is the best use of this time probably.

Listen carefully, closely to everything he says and afterwards, take notes or if possible record it, for future use and reflection.
Thank you, this is wise advice. You brought up a specific memory of mine: when my Guru had a brief audience with His Holiness the Dalai Lama, he didn't need to ask any of the questions he had prepared as HHDL answered all of them.

Malcolm

Post by Malcolm » Sat May 23, 2020 5:08 am

n8pee wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 3:32 am
I've not spoken to my root guru in seven years or so due to my travel and moving around the U.S. I've recently secured an audience via Zoom, which has been made available due to today's COVID crisis.

I have specific practice questions of course. But I feel this urge to let him know his impact on my life, as I've never had a significant private audience with him, but don't wish to make our time together about me and my perceptions. I first met with the lineage teachings nearly twenty years ago.

I am welcome to any advice about how best to utilize the guru's time. From my side he is Vajradhara, and has been the source of all blessings. How does one meaningfully communicate in this situation?
Remember that from his side he is a human being, no matter what you think.

javier.espinoza.t

Post by javier.espinoza.t » Sat May 23, 2020 7:56 am

n8pee wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 3:32 am

try to relax and not get into the turmoil of the moment, it will make the communication more fluent. it is a happy time, it is good thing you decided to make it possible.

PeterC

Post by PeterC » Sat May 23, 2020 1:29 pm

Don’t forget to ask if there’s anything you can do for him or the sangha. It’s surprising how many people are keen to heap adulation on teachers and make lots of demands of them, but never seriously try to help themselves.

PadmaVonSamba

Post by PadmaVonSamba » Sat May 23, 2020 1:50 pm

Write down your questions. Be specific. This alone will be very useful not only in terms of saving time, but sometimes in doing so, the answer comes to you.
Profile Picture: "The Fo Ming (Buddha Bright) Monk"
People on web forums sometime seem to be foaming at the mouth.

Return to “Tibetan Buddhism”