Dharma protectors

Forum for discussion of Tibetan Buddhism. Questions specific to one school are best posted in the appropriate sub-forum.
bhava

Dharma protectors

Post by bhava » Mon Jun 29, 2020 12:10 pm

Hello, in general there are several terms for guardians of the teachings or dharma protectors - chos skyong, srung ma, dam can, bka' srung, bstan srung etc generally divided into enlightened, worldly and half-worldly, having their respective activities of protectiving teachings and practitioners. Is there a clear, comprehensive and trustworthy text in english describing these things in detail? Common one is Nebesky-Wojkowicz Oracles and Demons of Tibet, however I thought of a more traditional source. Thank you, in dharma, bh.

Toenail

Re: Dharma protectors

Post by Toenail » Mon Jun 29, 2020 2:01 pm

The names do not tell you much. It is better to rely on enlightened protectors than unenlightened ones. If you have tantric commitments etc than practicing Tsog regularly is most important and it includes the protectors, retinues etc. For information who is enlightened and who not I would only rely on protectors that are mentioned in the tantras. I would not practice later ones that are said to have been bound by this or that master etc. Basically, I would stay away from all worldly protectors except when they are included as retinues etc.

bhava

Post by bhava » Tue Jun 30, 2020 7:28 am

Which tantras do describe protectors, their nature, activities, their ways of operating etc? Could you send a reference, in english if possible?

Grigoris
Former staff member

Post by Grigoris » Tue Jun 30, 2020 11:12 am

Toenail wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 2:01 pm
The names do not tell you much. It is better to rely on enlightened protectors than unenlightened ones. If you have tantric commitments etc than practicing Tsog regularly is most important and it includes the protectors, retinues etc. For information who is enlightened and who not I would only rely on protectors that are mentioned in the tantras. I would not practice later ones that are said to have been bound by this or that master etc. Basically, I would stay away from all worldly protectors except when they are included as retinues etc.
How is this even vaguely related to what bhava was asking??? They did not ask for advice on practice.
"My religion is not deceiving myself."
Jetsun Milarepa 1052-1135 CE

"Butchers, prostitutes, those guilty of the five most heinous crimes, outcasts, the underprivileged: all are utterly the substance of existence and nothing other than total bliss."
The Supreme Source - The Kunjed Gyalpo
The Fundamental Tantra of Dzogchen Semde

Grigoris
Former staff member

Post by Grigoris » Tue Jun 30, 2020 11:16 am

bhava wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 12:10 pm
Hello, in general there are several terms for guardians of the teachings or dharma protectors - chos skyong, srung ma, dam can, bka' srung, bstan srung etc generally divided into enlightened, worldly and half-worldly, having their respective activities of protectiving teachings and practitioners. Is there a clear, comprehensive and trustworthy text in english describing these things in detail? Common one is Nebesky-Wojkowicz Oracles and Demons of Tibet, however I thought of a more traditional source. Thank you, in dharma, bh.
Check out this site for starters.

I do not know of any single book describing dharmapala. A lot of the information on dharmapala is secret anyway, so it needs to be transmitted to you from a teacher. That said: there are plenty of books out there describing and explaining individual dharmapala practices.

"Butchers, prostitutes, those guilty of the five most heinous crimes, outcasts, the underprivileged: all are utterly the substance of existence and nothing other than total bliss."

Malcolm

Post by Malcolm » Tue Jun 30, 2020 3:19 pm

Grigoris wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 11:16 am
bhava wrote:
Check out this site for starters.

I do not know of any single book describing dharmapala.
Nebesky-Wojkowicz Oracles and Demons of Tibet.

It is about the only resource out there in English. Beyond that, there are some papers you can find on this or that individual guardian.

Grigoris
Former staff member

Post by Grigoris » Tue Jun 30, 2020 5:20 pm

bhava wrote:
Oooopppsss... Just noticed that the link for the site I wanted to recommend did not copy-paste properly.

Use the search function here to look for info on individual dharmapala or search with the term "dharmapala" to set off an avalanche of info.
https://www.himalayanart.org/

lelopa

Post by lelopa » Wed Jul 01, 2020 7:38 am

bhava wrote:
"The Guardian Deities of Tibet" by Ladrang Kalsang, Winsome Books , ISBN 81-88043-04-4
हूं हूं हूं
फट् फट् फट्

bhava

Post by bhava » Sun Jul 05, 2020 7:33 pm

Thank you for your replies and references.

Return to “Tibetan Buddhism”