Lama and moving

Forum for discussion of Tibetan Buddhism. Questions specific to one school are best posted in the appropriate sub-forum.
yan kong

Lama and moving

Post by yan kong »

My dimema is that for some time I have wanted to take a lama (or start the search for a lama, I have not as such researched centers in my area). I realize this process takes time but the problem is that I may be moving in June back to Canada (I am in Paris, France right now) and the possbility I could continue teachings with the same lama are very slim considering the limited chances said lama has a center in Toronto or Montreal. From what I have heard it is a violation of the student teacher relationship to take a new teacher before one has finished the formers instructions. So I suppose my general question is whether it would be advised to wait for the move and what exactly the gravity is of changing teachers?

Advice would be weclome if my post is not too convoluted to get its meaning across
Thank you
FP
"Meditation is a spiritual exercise, not a therapeutic regime... Our intention is to enter Nirvana, not to make life in Samsara more tolerable." Chan Master Hsu Yun
heart

Re: Lama and moving

Post by heart »

freakpower70 wrote:My dimema is that for some time I have wanted to take a lama (or start the search for a lama, I have not as such researched centers in my area). I realize this process takes time but the problem is that I may be moving in June back to Canada (I am in Paris, France right now) and the possbility I could continue teachings with the same lama are very slim considering the limited chances said lama has a center in Toronto or Montreal. From what I have heard it is a violation of the student teacher relationship to take a new teacher before one has finished the formers instructions. So I suppose my general question is whether it would be advised to wait for the move and what exactly the gravity is of changing teachers?

Advice would be weclome if my post is not too convoluted to get its meaning across
Thank you
FP
The best is to search for a Guru worldwide, when you find one that will resolve the question of which center to study and practice at if you feel that necessary.

Good luck!
/magnus
"We are all here to help each other go through this thing, whatever it is."
~Kurt Vonnegut

"The principal practice is Guruyoga. But we need to understand that any secondary practice combined with Guruyoga becomes a principal practice." ChNNR (Teachings on Thun and Ganapuja)
dzoki

Post by dzoki »

freakpower70 wrote:From what I have heard it is a violation of the student teacher relationship to take a new teacher before one has finished the formers instructions. So I suppose my general question is whether it would be advised to wait for the move and what exactly the gravity is of changing teachers?
Are you planning on wasting your teachers instructions? I doubt you are. So what would be a problem? As long as you don´t forget or waste your teachers instruction, your teacher will sure be happy even if you don´t see him anymore and have another teacher. Good teacher is happy even if student follows some other teachers besides him. Because like this student will get a broader view of Dharma and that is a good thing, no? Teacher should never want to posses student, like some material article. "Oh, you are mine, you have to stay here, you cannot move away etc." Good teacher has always happiness of his students on the mind as first and foremost. The best think to do is not to ask here for advice, ask your teacher. Ask, what he thinks of your situation. I am sure he´ll be fine with you moving away and finding another teacher.
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

freakpower70 wrote:From what I have heard it is a violation of the student teacher relationship to take a new teacher before one has finished the formers instructions.

You heard wrong.
zerwe

Post by zerwe »

I don't know what could be meant by finishing the Lama's instructions other than achieving
complete realization of both collections. LZR has stated that if one were inclined you could practice the
Ngondro of all four schools. IMO, follow the advice of your teacher and aspire to continue receiving instructions
whether or not that comes in the form of your current teachers or many teachers, makes no difference. And, keep in mind the
Lama can manifest in many forms

Shaun :namaste:
Terma

Post by Terma »

First off, my teacher (and I'm sure many others as well) say it is good to take teachings from different teachers, as karmic connection plays such a crucial part in obtaining the blessings and having an effective practice. But at the same time I think that once we find a teacher that we really resonate and feel a strong connection with, then we should follow the teachings and advice of that teacher should we become their student.

As for the area that you may be moving to, there are a few centers in Toronto that might interest you, and usually every year some prominent teachers of those lineages visit. I think many of us are not so fortunate to live in the same town as our teacher, and a lot of us have to travel in some way to see them. for example, my teacher usually visits once a year, but I have traveled a little to see him and receive teachings also.

But I always advise not too make too many plans or rather have too many expectations in this way, but rather make aspirations to find a teacher that you really feel a connection with. I think many people could recommend great teachers, but really it is important that you feel a connection to them and their Dharma. Go with the conditions! sometimes it is a nice surprise to see where that takes us.

If you wish to PM me for any ideas, I live nearby the area you may be moving to next year.

Terma
yan kong

Post by yan kong »

Malcolm wrote:
freakpower70 wrote:From what I have heard it is a violation of the student teacher relationship to take a new teacher before one has finished the formers instructions.

You heard wrong.
could you elaborate?
"Meditation is a spiritual exercise, not a therapeutic regime... Our intention is to enter Nirvana, not to make life in Samsara more tolerable." Chan Master Hsu Yun

Return to “Tibetan Buddhism”