Eight Mahayana Precepts

Forum for discussion of Tibetan Buddhism. Questions specific to one school are best posted in the appropriate sub-forum.
kirtu
Former staff member

Re: Eight Mahayana Precepts

Post by kirtu »

Venerable Pema Chodron on the Eight Mahayana Vows

phpBB [video]

Venerable Jigme on the virtue of the Eight Mahayana Precepts

phpBB [video]
“Where do atomic bombs come from?”
Zen Master Seung Sahn said, “That’s simple. Atomic bombs come from the mind that likes this and doesn’t like that.”

"Even if you practice only for an hour a day with faith and inspiration, good qualities will steadily increase. Regular practice makes it easy to transform your mind. From seeing only relative truth, you will eventually reach a profound certainty in the meaning of absolute truth."
Kyabje Dilgo Khyentse Rinpoche.

"Only you can make your mind beautiful."
HH Chetsang Rinpoche
tenyang

Post by tenyang »

I have a question about the Precepts (in particular in the Geluk tradition). After taking the Precepts during a ceremony with one's guru, if the disciple does not renew the Precepts every new day, can said disciple take the Precepts again on his or her own (for example on a favourable/auspicious day), or does that require a ceremony with his/her master?
Lobsang Chojor

Post by Lobsang Chojor »

tenyang wrote: Thu Mar 01, 2018 6:38 pm I have a question about the Precepts (in particular in the Geluk tradition). After taking the Precepts during a ceremony with one's guru, if the disciple does not renew the Precepts every new day, can said disciple take the Precepts again on his or her own (for example on a favourable/auspicious day), or does that require a ceremony with his/her master?
I've been taught that if your guru is not able to give you the vows you can take them infront of an image of the Buddha.
"Morality does not become pure unless darkness is dispelled by the light of wisdom"
  • Aryasura, Paramitasamasa 6.5
ༀ་ཨ་ར་པ་ཙ་ན་དྷཱི༔ Oṃ A Ra Pa Ca Na Dhīḥ
tenyang

Post by tenyang »

Lobsang Chojor wrote: Thu Mar 01, 2018 7:07 pm
tenyang wrote: Thu Mar 01, 2018 6:38 pm I have a question about the Precepts (in particular in the Geluk tradition). After taking the Precepts during a ceremony with one's guru, if the disciple does not renew the Precepts every new day, can said disciple take the Precepts again on his or her own (for example on a favourable/auspicious day), or does that require a ceremony with his/her master?
I've been taught that if your guru is not able to give you the vows you can take them infront of an image of the Buddha.

*nods* This is what I have been instructed to do, too. So far I've been renewing the Precepts every day since I took them during the ceremony with my guru. But if I stop renewing them every day, and decide to take them only on special days, can I still do that in front of an image of Buddha, or can I only take them again during a ceremony with my guru? Unfortunately my guru is currently away and will be for several months, so I can't ask him.
Lobsang Chojor

Post by Lobsang Chojor »

tenyang wrote: Thu Mar 01, 2018 7:23 pm *nods* This is what I have been instructed to do, too. So far I've been renewing the Precepts every day since I took them during the ceremony with my guru. But if I stop renewing them every day, and decide to take them only on special days, can I still do that in front of an image of Buddha, or can I only take them again during a ceremony with my guru? Unfortunately my guru is currently away and will be for several months, so I can't ask him.
I believe you can take them infront of an image of Buddha, that's what I do
"Morality does not become pure unless darkness is dispelled by the light of wisdom"
jmlee369

Post by jmlee369 »

tenyang wrote: Thu Mar 01, 2018 7:23 pm
Lobsang Chojor wrote: Thu Mar 01, 2018 7:07 pm

*nods* This is what I have been instructed to do, too. So far I've been renewing the Precepts every day since I took them during the ceremony with my guru. But if I stop renewing them every day, and decide to take them only on special days, can I still do that in front of an image of Buddha, or can I only take them again during a ceremony with my guru? Unfortunately my guru is currently away and will be for several months, so I can't ask him.
You can retake the vows at anytime in front of an image once you've received it from a teacher, without keeping them constantly. That is to say, it is common practice for people to take the vows by themselves on just the 1st and 15th lunar days, or the four major holy days only.
tenyang

Post by tenyang »

jmlee369 wrote: Sat Mar 03, 2018 7:28 am
You can retake the vows at anytime in front of an image once you've received it from a teacher, without keeping them constantly. That is to say, it is common practice for people to take the vows by themselves on just the 1st and 15th lunar days, or the four major holy days only.
Lobsang Chojor wrote: Sat Mar 03, 2018 2:47 am I believe you can take them infront of an image of Buddha, that's what I do
Thank you for your kind help, jmlee369 and Lobsang Chojor.
kirtu
Former staff member

Post by kirtu »

From the Lama Yeshe Wisdom Archive

Appendix One: The Eight Mahayana Precepts
Zen Master Seung Sahn said, “That’s simple. Atomic bombs come from the mind that likes this and doesn’t like that.”

"Even if you practice only for an hour a day with faith and inspiration, good qualities will steadily increase. Regular practice makes it easy to transform your mind. From seeing only relative truth, you will eventually reach a profound certainty in the meaning of absolute truth."

HH Chetsang Rinpoche
kirtu
Former staff member

Post by kirtu »

The Practice and Benefits of the Eight Mahayana Precepts, pdf, Lama Zopa, FPMT. The first part is the ritual for taking the Eight Mahayana Precepts and the second part is a teaching on the Eight Mahayana Precepts.

Kirt

HH Chetsang Rinpoche
明安 Myoan
Former staff member

Post by 明安 Myoan »

From the document kirtu just shared:
Lama Zopa Rinpoche wrote:If I have bodhichitta, I can obtain the three great purposes and I can then cause numberless hell beings, preta beings, animal beings, human beings, suras, and asuras and all sentient beings to achieve the three great purposes. I can cause them to achieve enlightenment. Therefore, generating bodhichitta within my own mind is not only the source of my own happiness, it is the source of the happiness of all other sentient beings. It is unbelievable! It is the most meaningful thing I can do. Therefore, I must renounce cherishing myself and generate the bodhichitta that cherishes others.
:bow: :bow: :bow:
Namu Amida Butsu
kirtu
Former staff member

Post by kirtu »

Ritual for Taking the Eight Mahayana Precepts, FPMT, pdf

The previous link died.

Kirt

HH Chetsang Rinpoche
TMT

Post by TMT »

If you are familiar with Kyabje Lama Zopa Rinpoche and are inspired to take the vows, he has given permission to recieve the lung via a recorded video. Heres the link. Read the description in the video its important for following along and knowing what to do, such as getting up before dawn to watch the video and take the vows and what to repeat.
FiveSkandhas

Post by FiveSkandhas »

Nice. Thanks
"One should cultivate contemplation in one’s foibles. The foibles are like fish, and contemplation is like fishing hooks. If there are no fish, then the fishing hooks have no use. The bigger the fish is, the better the result we will get. As long as the fishing hooks keep at it, all foibles will eventually be contained and controlled at will." -Zhiyi

"Just be kind." -Atisha
kirtu
Former staff member

Post by kirtu »

The Sūtra of Vasiṣṭha: if not the source of the Eight Mahayana Precepts practice in the Kangyur, then certainly one of the sources. The Sutra of Vasistha is from the General Sūtra Section of the Kangyur. Both the Denkarma and Phangthangma imperial catalogs classify The Sūtra of Vasiṣṭha as a “Hīnayāna sūtra” (theg pa chung ngu’i mdo).

1.­5
“Gautama, what is the so-called eightfold observance of the noble ones?” asked Vasiṣṭha. “And how, by adhering to the eightfold observance of the noble ones, will one experience all one wishes for among gods and humans?”

“Vasiṣṭha, when faithful sons or daughters of good families want to maintain the eightfold observance of the noble ones, they get up in the morning and go before a monk, or a brahmin, or anyone else who is wise. They arrange their upper robe over one shoulder, place their right knee on the ground, join their palms, and utter this statement: ‘I, named so-and-so, from now through sundown tonight and until sunrise tomorrow,10 abandon taking life and abstain from taking life. [F.264.b] I relinquish the stick and the sword, behaving with conscientiousness and compassion as I abandon and abstain from taking the life of any being, living creature, or spirit‍—even the least among them, including tiny creatures such as ants. Just as those noble ones, the worthy ones, who, for as long as they live, have abandoned taking life and have abstained from taking life, relinquished the stick and the sword, and abandoned and abstained from taking the life of any being, living creature, or spirit‍—even the least among them, including tiny creatures such as ants‍—likewise I, so-and-so, from now through sundown tonight and until sunrise tomorrow, also abandon taking life and abstain from taking life. I relinquish the stick and the sword, behaving with conscientiousness and compassion as I abandon and abstain from taking the life of any sentient being, living creature, or spirit‍—even the least among them, including tiny creatures such as ants. Through this first factor, I emulate, act in accordance with, and imitate the course of conduct of the noble ones, the worthy ones.’

1.­6
“ ‘Just as I abstain from killing, likewise I abandon and abstain from taking what is not given; sexual activity; false speech; heedlessness from having become drunk on fermented or distilled spirits; singing, dancing, and music, as well as wearing garlands, perfumes, ornaments, and cosmetics; high beds and large beds; and eating at the improper time.11 Just like those noble ones, the worthy ones, who, for as long as they live, have abandoned eating at the improper time and abstained from eating at the improper time, likewise I, so-and-so, from now through sundown tonight and [F.265.a] until sunrise tomorrow, also abandon eating at the improper time and abstain from eating at the improper time. Through this eighth factor, I emulate, act in accordance with, and imitate the course of conduct of those noble ones, the worthy ones.’

1.­7
“Recite thus a second and a third time. Vasiṣṭha, this is the eightfold observance of the noble ones, and thus, by maintaining the eightfold observance of the noble ones, one will experience all one wishes for among gods and humans. Vasiṣṭha, you should maintain the eightfold observance of the noble ones, practice diligently on special days, and experience all you wish for among gods and humans!

1.­8
“Regarding the merit of those faithful sons or daughters of good families who maintain the eightfold observance of the noble ones, Vasiṣṭha, one cannot fathom the extent of the merit, nor the fruits of the merit, nor the ripening of the fruits of the merit by saying, ‘It is this much.’ And yet, it is described as ‘many heaps of merit.’
“Vasiṣṭha, that which among humans is sixteen hundred years is but one day for the gods of the Heaven of Making Use of Others’ Emanations. Fifteen of those spans of one day equal half a month, and thirty such days equal a month, and twelve such months equal a year. By that way of calculating years, whatever constitutes sixteen thousand years, that is the lifespan for the gods of the Heaven of Making Use of Others’ Emanations. If calculated by human standards, it is nine billion two hundred sixteen million years.24 Upon separation from the body, the fate of a faithful son or daughter of a good family, one who maintains the eightfold observance of the noble ones a single time, will be a rebirth equal in status to the gods of the Heaven of Making Use of Others’ Emanations. Vasiṣṭha, this is what I had in mind when I proclaimed, ‘In comparison to the happiness of the god realms, sovereignty in the human realm is of paltry worth.’

“Vasiṣṭha, maintain the eightfold observance of the noble ones, practice diligently on special days, and experience all you wish for among gods and humans!”

1.­21
The brahmin Vasiṣṭha then said these words to the Blessed One: [F.268.a] “O Gautama, for a long time, for every lunar special day, I have wearily performed severe austerities, yet I have gained nothing at all. Today and henceforth, I take refuge in the Buddha; I take refuge in the Dharma and in the Saṅgha. With all the power and strength that I possess, I will maintain the eightfold observance of the noble ones, and I will practice generosity.”

1.­22
The Blessed One proclaimed, “Vasiṣṭha, this is excellent! That is your task!” After the Blessed One proclaimed those words, the brahmin Vasiṣṭha, along with the world with its gods, humans, asuras, and gandharvas, rejoiced and extolled what the Blessed One had taught.

1.­23
This concludes the Noble Sūtra of Vasiṣṭha.

HH Chetsang Rinpoche
Dhammanando

Post by Dhammanando »

kirtu wrote: Thu Dec 22, 2022 10:25 pm The Sutra of Vasistha is from the General Sūtra Section of the Kangyur.
It seems to be a parallel of the Pali Vāseṭṭha (or Vāseṭṭhuposatha) Sutta.

See AN8.44:
https://suttacentral.net/an8.44/en/bodhi

And AN8.42 for the part that the translator of AN8.44 has abbreviated:

https://legacy.suttacentral.net/en/an8.42
kirtu
Former staff member

Post by kirtu »

Dhammanando wrote: Sat Dec 24, 2022 6:28 am
kirtu wrote: Thu Dec 22, 2022 10:25 pm The Sutra of Vasistha is from the General Sūtra Section of the Kangyur.
It seems to be a parallel of the Pali Vāseṭṭha (or Vāseṭṭhuposatha) Sutta.

See AN8.44:
https://suttacentral.net/an8.44/en/bodhi

And AN8.42 for the part that the translator of AN8.44 has abbreviated:

https://legacy.suttacentral.net/en/an8.42
Yes, it is.

HH Chetsang Rinpoche
jet.urgyen

Post by jet.urgyen »

Hi, a question on this: does it matter you take the precepts from a monk or someone who actually observes them?

I mean, what if a lay person is better than a monk at keepping them? Would you still want them from the monk?
true dharma is inexpressible.

The bodhisattva nourishes from bodhicitta, through whatever method the Buddha has given him. Oh joy.
Lobsang Chojor

Post by Lobsang Chojor »

jet.urgyen wrote: Sat Dec 24, 2022 12:51 pm Hi, a question on this: does it matter you take the precepts from a monk or someone who actually observes them?

I mean, what if a lay person is better than a monk at keepping them? Would you still want them from the monk?
If you take the vows from a preceptor, the requirement is that they have the lineage and take them that day prior to giving them to you. For example my teacher took them at 3:30 to then give them to me at 4:00. That way when you receive them their vows are pure so it doesn't matter so much how well they keep them afterwards.

You can also take these vows yourself from an image of the Buddha.
jet.urgyen

Post by jet.urgyen »

Lobsang Chojor wrote: Sat Dec 24, 2022 2:22 pm
jet.urgyen wrote: Sat Dec 24, 2022 12:51 pm Hi, a question on this: does it matter you take the precepts from a monk or someone who actually observes them?

If you take the vows from a preceptor, the requirement is that they have the lineage and take them that day prior to giving them to you. For example my teacher took them at 3:30 to then give them to me at 4:00. That way when you receive them their vows are pure so it doesn't matter so much how well they keep them afterwards.

That's cool 😎
true dharma is inexpressible.

The bodhisattva nourishes from bodhicitta, through whatever method the Buddha has given him. Oh joy.
kirtu
Former staff member

Post by kirtu »

From Book 5, Buddhist Ethics, The Treasury of Knowledge
Also, the Analysis of Discipline Scripture" mentions that the layman Anathapindika (56) transmitted the precepts of the purificatory fast to a large crowd of people.
The question of whether a specific monk or layperson who is holding the vows "better" is moot. In a later section Kongtrul actually says that holding the temporary vows (the Eight Mahayana Vows) is very great merit so even if you can't hold them perfectly it would be better to take them (and anyway, lapses in the vows can be purified.
Lobsang Chojor wrote: Sat Dec 24, 2022 2:22 pm If you take the vows from a preceptor, the requirement is that they have the lineage and take them that day prior to giving them to you. For example my teacher took them at 3:30 to then give them to me at 4:00. That way when you receive them their vows are pure so it doesn't matter so much how well they keep them afterwards.

Sadhu! Sadhu! Sadhu!

Jamgon Kongtrul Lodro Taye. The Treasury of Knowledge, Book 5: Book Five: Buddhist Ethics (S.92-93). Kindle-Version.
Temporary Vows

An aspirant who has not gone for refuge cannot assume the personal liberation vows. The precepts of the purificatory fast are observed for a day and may be conferred by any person holding the precepts.

The Treasury of Phenomenology (52) states:

Except for the person who has not gone for refuge, Anyone may assume [the purificatory fast] vows.

Thus expressed, an aspirant who has not gone for refuge in the Three jewels (53) cannot receive the precepts of the purificatory fast or, for that matter, any of the vows of personal liberation.

Analysts assert that any of the eight classes of personal liberation vows must be conferred by a monk. However, Traditionalists say that the precepts of the purificatory fast may be taken from anyone who is observing the purificatory fast, either a lay practitioner or a renunciate. Accordingly, the Brahmana Vyasa Scripture (54) states:

... in the presence of one who has knowledge of the ceremony, whether it be a monk, a brahman, a householder, or a novice.

Also, the Analysis of Discipline Scripture (55) mentions that the layman Anathapindika (56) transmitted the precepts of the purificatory fast to a large crowd of people.

In any case, the various perspectives agree that the aspirant must assume the eight precepts of the purificatory fast before dawn in the presence of a practitioner holding the same precepts and preserve them until sunrise of the next day, a period of one full day.

When assuming these precepts for the first time, the aspirant may promise the teacher that he or she will also maintain the precepts on the [days of the] full moon, the new moon, and the eighth day of every [lunar] month. Despite that [promise], each time that aspirant intends to practice the purificatory fast, he or she must assume the precepts anew.

According to the Analysts, making a single promise [to maintain these eight precepts on the various days of the month] allows one to retake the precepts [on the next occasion] even after having eaten. (57) According to the Traditionalists, [this promise] authorizes one to retake take the precepts by oneself in front of a representation [of the Three Jewels]. The main part of the ceremony [for the transmission of the precepts of the purificatory fast] involves repeating the words of the preceptor three times while sitting lower than him or her.

HH Chetsang Rinpoche

Return to “Tibetan Buddhism”