Eight Mahayana Precepts

Forum for discussion of Tibetan Buddhism. Questions specific to one school are best posted in the appropriate sub-forum.
kirtu
Former staff member

Re: Eight Mahayana Precepts

Post by kirtu » Sun Sep 13, 2015 11:55 pm

Venerable Pema Chodron on the Eight Mahayana Vows

phpBB [video]

Venerable Jigme on the virtue of the Eight Mahayana Precepts

phpBB [video]
Kirt's Tibetan Translation Notes

"Even if you practice only for an hour a day with faith and inspiration, good qualities will steadily increase. Regular practice makes it easy to transform your mind. From seeing only relative truth, you will eventually reach a profound certainty in the meaning of absolute truth."
Kyabje Dilgo Khyentse Rinpoche.

"Only you can make your mind beautiful."
HH Chetsang Rinpoche

tenyang

Post by tenyang » Thu Mar 01, 2018 6:38 pm

I have a question about the Precepts (in particular in the Geluk tradition). After taking the Precepts during a ceremony with one's guru, if the disciple does not renew the Precepts every new day, can said disciple take the Precepts again on his or her own (for example on a favourable/auspicious day), or does that require a ceremony with his/her master?

Lobsang Chojor

Post by Lobsang Chojor » Thu Mar 01, 2018 7:07 pm

tenyang wrote:
Thu Mar 01, 2018 6:38 pm
I have a question about the Precepts (in particular in the Geluk tradition). After taking the Precepts during a ceremony with one's guru, if the disciple does not renew the Precepts every new day, can said disciple take the Precepts again on his or her own (for example on a favourable/auspicious day), or does that require a ceremony with his/her master?
I've been taught that if your guru is not able to give you the vows you can take them infront of an image of the Buddha.
"Morality does not become pure unless darkness is dispelled by the light of wisdom"
  • Aryasura, Paramitasamasa 6.5
ༀ་ཨ་ར་པ་ཙ་ན་དྷཱི༔ Oṃ A Ra Pa Ca Na Dhīḥ

tenyang

Post by tenyang » Thu Mar 01, 2018 7:23 pm

Lobsang Chojor wrote:
Thu Mar 01, 2018 7:07 pm
tenyang wrote:
I've been taught that if your guru is not able to give you the vows you can take them infront of an image of the Buddha.

*nods* This is what I have been instructed to do, too. So far I've been renewing the Precepts every day since I took them during the ceremony with my guru. But if I stop renewing them every day, and decide to take them only on special days, can I still do that in front of an image of Buddha, or can I only take them again during a ceremony with my guru? Unfortunately my guru is currently away and will be for several months, so I can't ask him.

Lobsang Chojor

Post by Lobsang Chojor » Sat Mar 03, 2018 2:47 am

tenyang wrote:
Thu Mar 01, 2018 7:23 pm
*nods* This is what I have been instructed to do, too. So far I've been renewing the Precepts every day since I took them during the ceremony with my guru. But if I stop renewing them every day, and decide to take them only on special days, can I still do that in front of an image of Buddha, or can I only take them again during a ceremony with my guru? Unfortunately my guru is currently away and will be for several months, so I can't ask him.
I believe you can take them infront of an image of Buddha, that's what I do
"Morality does not become pure unless darkness is dispelled by the light of wisdom"
  • Aryasura, Paramitasamasa 6.5
ༀ་ཨ་ར་པ་ཙ་ན་དྷཱི༔ Oṃ A Ra Pa Ca Na Dhīḥ

jmlee369

Post by jmlee369 » Sat Mar 03, 2018 7:28 am

tenyang wrote:
Thu Mar 01, 2018 7:23 pm
Lobsang Chojor wrote:
Thu Mar 01, 2018 7:07 pm
tenyang wrote:

You can retake the vows at anytime in front of an image once you've received it from a teacher, without keeping them constantly. That is to say, it is common practice for people to take the vows by themselves on just the 1st and 15th lunar days, or the four major holy days only.

tenyang

Post by tenyang » Sun Mar 04, 2018 6:24 am

jmlee369 wrote:
Sat Mar 03, 2018 7:28 am

You can retake the vows at anytime in front of an image once you've received it from a teacher, without keeping them constantly. That is to say, it is common practice for people to take the vows by themselves on just the 1st and 15th lunar days, or the four major holy days only.
Lobsang Chojor wrote:
Sat Mar 03, 2018 2:47 am
I believe you can take them infront of an image of Buddha, that's what I do
Thank you for your kind help, jmlee369 and Lobsang Chojor.

kirtu
Former staff member

Post by kirtu » Mon Mar 26, 2018 6:44 am

From the Lama Yeshe Wisdom Archive

Appendix One: The Eight Mahayana Precepts

"Even if you practice only for an hour a day with faith and inspiration, good qualities will steadily increase. Regular practice makes it easy to transform your mind. From seeing only relative truth, you will eventually reach a profound certainty in the meaning of absolute truth."

HH Chetsang Rinpoche

kirtu
Former staff member

Post by kirtu » Wed Oct 31, 2018 1:37 pm

The Practice and Benefits of the Eight Mahayana Precepts, pdf, Lama Zopa, FPMT. The first part is the ritual for taking the Eight Mahayana Precepts and the second part is a teaching on the Eight Mahayana Precepts.

Kirt

HH Chetsang Rinpoche

Monlam Tharchin
Global Moderator

Post by Monlam Tharchin » Wed Oct 31, 2018 5:53 pm

From the document kirtu just shared:
Lama Zopa Rinpoche wrote:If I have bodhichitta, I can obtain the three great purposes and I can then cause numberless hell beings, preta beings, animal beings, human beings, suras, and asuras and all sentient beings to achieve the three great purposes. I can cause them to achieve enlightenment. Therefore, generating bodhichitta within my own mind is not only the source of my own happiness, it is the source of the happiness of all other sentient beings. It is unbelievable! It is the most meaningful thing I can do. Therefore, I must renounce cherishing myself and generate the bodhichitta that cherishes others.
:bow: :bow: :bow:
namu amida butsu
OṂ  HRIYADHE  SARWA  TATHĀGATA  HRIDAYA  GARBHE / DZOLA  DHARMADHATU  GARBHE  /  SANG  HARANA  ĀYUḤ  SANGŚHODHAYA  /  PĀPAṂ  SARWA  TATHĀGATA  SAMENDRA  UṢHṆĪKHA  BIMALE  BIŚHUDDHE  SWĀHĀ

The Buddhas and Bodhisattvas have unobstructed vision in all directions.
Everything is in their presence; and I stand in front of them. -- Shantideva

Return to “Tibetan Buddhism”