Looking for general information about nagas

Forum for discussion of Tibetan Buddhism. Questions specific to one school are best posted in the appropriate sub-forum.
TomOphir

Re: Looking for general information about nagas

Post by TomOphir » Wed Jul 26, 2017 7:30 am

pemachophel wrote:If you're suffering (or think you're suffering) from a don or provocation by Nagas, then you would not do Naga offerings. Instead, you would typically do a wrathful Yidam sadhana specifically meant to subjugate Nagas, for instance Naga Raja, Garuda, Guru Dragphur, Ta-khyung-dor-sum, Vajra Armor, etc. First you would need to do the approach (nyen-pa) mantra x-number of times to gain accomplishment and then the lay-jor (entering the activity) mantra x-number of times to put it into practice. You know you have gained accomplishment either by the number of mantra said, the time spent doing the practice, or omens/signs indicating accomplishment. These are typically spelled out in the sadhana itself. During the lay-jor, you would visualize your skin being healed. You could also ask someone who has already gained the accomplishment of this kind of sadhana to do it for you. Such an accomplished yogi with power over Nagas might blow or spit on the affected area or give you some consecrated water or ointment to put on the affected area.

You might also ask a Lama to do a mo (divination) for you to find out what is causing the skin problem and what to do about it. And/or see a Tibetan doctor. Often medical treatment combined with "exorcism" is more effective than either alone.

Good luck and best wishes,

:namaste:
I would be wary of using notions like subjugating Nagas etc. In my experience some Nagas are energetically huge beings, the size of double decker buses. Humans should be looking for a path of respect, reconciliation and healing, not subjugation. Naga is also a problematic term, as its etymology is too close to snake etc. In some ways this serpent like being that we perceive, in sometimes ferocious form, is a form that Naga beings chose to project to ignorant human beings, who often disrespect the natural environment etc. In some ways words like Undine, meaning wave are better.

TomOphir

Post by TomOphir » Wed Jul 26, 2017 7:50 am

Dorje Shedrub wrote:Can anyone point me to information about nagas?
Nagas or Undines are the custodians or guardians of the water element. When we relate to them we should be very conscious of our relationship with the natural world. In my view their ferocious form is largely a manifestation of human beings ignorant relationship with nature. They can also appear ferocious when humans are acting in unskillful ways, in relation to magick/rituals etc. They can also manifest as more human like beings and are in some ways analogous to the realm of the Sidhe/Fey. i.e a race of beings that predate the current human race. The serpent form is also analogous to the Fey as tinkerbell/fairy. It is simply a form body that they find useful to emobody/project to human beings. In our relationship with them we should be looking for respect, reconciliation and healing.

Mantrik

Post by Mantrik » Wed Jul 26, 2017 7:22 pm

Dorje Shedrub wrote:Ive been curious because a few years ago I developed a skin aliment that still persists. Doctors have given me different diagnoses. At the time I lived near a large lake but cant think of anything that I did that could have provoked nagas.

The other day I had a strange dream. I was on an airplane. Behind me a shrouded woman was holding a baby. She handed it to me and as I lifted the child from her arms it was as if I was lifting the baby out of water. I held the baby, who was also in a shroud. The baby began to fuss and I looked at its face and it was snake like. I looked up at the mother and she had a similar face, but smiling. I handed the baby back to het arms and again it was like the child wrnt into water. I only heard the dound and saw a little splash, but the child appeared cradled in mothers arms.

I have lung for ChNNs naga practice but always was leery of nagas.
Perhaps explore the 'antidote' practices, such as the various Garuda practices.
http://www.khyung.com

Om Thathpurushaya Vidhmahe
Suvarna Pakshaya Dheemahe
Thanno Garuda Prachodayath

Micchāmi Dukkaḍaṃ (मिच्छामि दुक्कडम्)

Mantrik

Post by Mantrik » Wed Jul 26, 2017 7:55 pm

Today and 29th are not good days for Naga Puja, but :

July 27/28, 2017 NAAG PANCHAMI (NAGA HONORING FESTIVAL)!
http://www.khyung.com

Om Thathpurushaya Vidhmahe
Suvarna Pakshaya Dheemahe
Thanno Garuda Prachodayath

Micchāmi Dukkaḍaṃ (मिच्छामि दुक्कडम्)

jkarlins

Post by jkarlins » Wed Jul 26, 2017 10:22 pm

cool!

Return to “Tibetan Buddhism”