Illuminating Quotes by Malcolm Namdrol-la

Forum for discussion of Tibetan Buddhism. Questions specific to one school are best posted in the appropriate sub-forum.
pael

Re: Illuminating Quotes by Malcolm Namdrol-la

Post by pael »

Malcolm wrote:The Dharma has one purpose, freeing sentient beings from desire, hatred, and ignorance. That's it.
May all beings be free from suffering and causes of suffering
Losal Samten

Post by Losal Samten »

Is Dependent Origination Eternal?
Malcolm wrote:Since the past is not established, since it has perished, and the future is not established, since it has yet to come to be, the present cannot be established either. Therefore, dependent origination is not an eternal process because no processes can be established, other than as conventions.

Further, dependent origination is about the afflicted processes that drive samsara, affliction, action, and suffering. When affliction is removed, action has no cause; and when action has no cause, the result, suffering cannot be produced. From this perspective too, dependent origination cannot be seen as eternal, since when one attains realization, one becomes free from that process entirely.
Lacking mindfulness, we commit every wrong. - Nyoshul Khen Rinpoche
འ༔ ཨ༔ ཧ༔ ཤ༔ ས༔ མ༔
ཨོཾ་ཧ་ནུ་པྷ་ཤ་བྷ་ར་ཧེ་ཡེ་སྭཱ་ཧཱ།།
ཨཱོཾ་མ་ཏྲི་མུ་ཡེ་སལེ་འདུ།།
coffeebeans

Post by coffeebeans »

Malcolm wrote:It is pretty clear that Indian Mahāyāna Buddhists regarded arhats, pratyekabuddhas, and buddhas as equivalent with respect to liberation. From a Mahāyāna point of view difference between the three lies in cultivation of merit and the depth of their omniscience. Considering Mahāyāna to be a separate religion from the Śrāvaka schools is a big mistake. They merely did different things with the raw material the Buddha left us.
Simon E.

Post by Simon E. »

Simon E. wrote: Fri Apr 04, 2014 7:51 pm
WuMing wrote:
... we treat buddhahood as if it were a state -- the term state implies something steady -- when one thing changes into another thing, we call that a "change of state". But buddhahood is no more a state that ignorance is. In other words, ultimately there is no buddhahood. Buddhahood is just a name for a relative appearance. When the causes and conditions that support that appearance cease, so does buddhahood.

Buddhahood is just the realization of that principle.
from Attainment of Buddhahood is impossible
Sadhu !
This can't be bumped too often.. :smile:
“You don’t know it. You just know about it. That is not the same thing.”

Chogyam Trungpa Rinpoche to me.
Vasana

Post by Vasana »

What causes and conditions would result in the cessation of the appearance of Buddhahood if there are limitless appearances of (illusory) beings ? End of universal cycle?

I'm sure you mean this in a very Diamond/Heart Sutra way, Malcolm, but just checking I understood the implications of the above quote of yours.
'When thoughts arise, recognise them clearly as your teacher'— Gampopa
'When alone, examine your mind, when among others, examine your speech'.— Atisha
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Vasana wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2018 4:06 pm What causes and conditions would result in the cessation of the appearance of Buddhahood if there are limitless appearances of (illusory) beings ? End of universal cycle?

I'm sure you mean this in a very Diamond/Heart Sutra way, Malcolm, but just checking I understood the implications of the above quote of yours.
The end of sentient beings is the end of the appearance of buddhahood.
Vasana

Post by Vasana »

Gotcha. Is there actually an expiry date for sentient beings though?

Also reminds me of Shantideva from the way of the Bodhisattva;

'If their conditions are not discontinued even illusions will not cease to be.

Likewise,since sentient beings have not discontinued the conditions for cyclic existence,
they are in cyclic existence, but since the Buddha has discontinued these conditions,
even deceptively he does not exist with the nature of one in cyclic existence.'
'When thoughts arise, recognise them clearly as your teacher'— Gampopa
'When alone, examine your mind, when among others, examine your speech'.— Atisha
billy hudson

Post by billy hudson »

“If you see hands and faces in the bardo, it is too late for you.”
Schrödinger’s Yidam

Post by Schrödinger’s Yidam »

Tsongkhapa's point of view, that "existence" refutes existence in the ultimate, whereas "nonexistence" refutes nonexistence in the relative is infinitely preferable to your formulation.
viewtopic.php?f=53&t=27893&start=200
1.The problem isn’t ‘ignorance’. The problem is the mind you have right now. (H.H. Karmapa XVII @NYC 2/4/18)
2. I support Mingyur R and HHDL in their positions against lama abuse.
3. Student: Lama, I thought I might die but then I realized that the 3 Jewels would protect me.
Lama: Even If you had died the 3 Jewels would still have protected you. (DW post by Fortyeightvows)
Jeff H

Post by Jeff H »

From "the great vegetarian debate", after referring to Shantideva 5:9-14,
Malcolm wrote:One must disentangle what impacts one's liberation, and what impacts the world. There is really no way to prevent the transient suffering of sentient beings. The view that one can is really a one-lifetime view at best. That is why the Buddha clearly stated, "I cannot remove suffering with my hands." Mature Dharma practitioners know with sadness there is really nothing that can be done about the suffering of others, even though we make aspirational vows to lead all beings to nirvana, in order for that to happen, those sentient beings need to be reborn as human beings first.

It is pretty clear there is suffering in the world. But the only way suffering can be removed in a real sense is by meeting the Dharma and practicing a path. In the meantime, I will seek to help those I can directly help, and feel sadness at my limitations in not being able to help all sentient beings, even though that is my most sincere wish.
Where now is my mind engaged? - Shantideva
Virgo

Post by Virgo »

"A guru's job is not to deal with our neurotic bullshit. It is amazing that they put up with any of it at all. A Guru's job is simply to give teachings for our own liberation."

viewtopic.php?f=48&t=4078&start=80#p39395

Kevin...
Dorje Shedrub

Post by Dorje Shedrub »

Malcolm wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2017 3:48 pm Dzogchen is the essence of Buddhadharma. Buddhism is fragmented into sects and traditions. Dzogchen is beyond sects and traditions. Buddhism is cultural. Dzogchen is beyond culture. Buddhism is a religion. Dzogchen is beyond religion.
Homage to the Precious Dzogchen Master
🙏🌺🙏 Chögyal Namkhai Norbu Rinpoche
🙏🌺🙏
weitsicht

Post by weitsicht »

Johnny Dangerous wrote: ↑
16 Feb 2018 23:41

That does not make sense to me, if matter ultimately arises from the lights which arise form the basis, at what point does matter become completely "cut off" from awareness?
Matter is a an appearance of ignorance, not knowledge (rig pa).
How would it be possible to achieve the rainbow body etc. if that were so? Mind is present in some appearances but not in others? How is that explained?
The appearances of ignorance are the mutual traces of sentient beings appearing to one another. When that ignorance is removed, one can manifest rainbow body.
viewtopic.php?t=27922
Ho! All the possible appearances and existences of samsara and nirvana have the same source, yet two paths and two results arise as the magical display of awareness and unawareness.
HO NANG SRI KHOR DAE THAMCHE KUN ZHI CHIG LAM NYI DRAE BU NYI RIG DANG MA RIG CHOM THRUL TE
weitsicht

Post by weitsicht »

Meditation follows view. If your view is wrong, your meditation will be wrong.
viewtopic.php?f=48&t=21068&start=400
Ho! All the possible appearances and existences of samsara and nirvana have the same source, yet two paths and two results arise as the magical display of awareness and unawareness.
HO NANG SRI KHOR DAE THAMCHE KUN ZHI CHIG LAM NYI DRAE BU NYI RIG DANG MA RIG CHOM THRUL TE
Schrödinger’s Yidam

Anyone wants Rainbow body these days has to practice Guru Singhishwara.
No, this is just standard Vajrayāna hyperbole. Even if you practice this, there is no guarantee of rainbow body. Rainbow body depends on the practitioner, not the practice.
viewtopic.php?f=39&t=28741&start=40
1.The problem isn’t ‘ignorance’. The problem is the mind you have right now. (H.H. Karmapa XVII @NYC 2/4/18)
3. Student: Lama, I thought I might die but then I realized that the 3 Jewels would protect me.
Lama: Even If you had died the 3 Jewels would still have protected you. (DW post by Fortyeightvows)
Schrödinger’s Yidam

Ngondro is sufficient by itself as a daily practice, since it contains all the essentials of creation and completion stage.
viewtopic.php?f=40&t=29151&sid=ff4f3b72 ... f7e15ca173
Schrödinger’s Yidam

Any given entity can be can be the object of a veridical perception that accords with suchness, or the object of a non-veridical perception that does not accord with suchness. But the same perception cannot be both veridical, in accordance with suchness, and non-veridical, not in accordance with-- it must one or the other.
viewtopic.php?f=53&t=29203&start=60
Schrödinger’s Yidam

Whatever one may do, Dzogchen requires 100% commitment.
viewtopic.php?f=48&t=29381
Virgo

Post by Virgo »

smcj wrote: Wed Sep 05, 2018 4:25 am
Whatever one may do, Dzogchen requires 100% commitment.
viewtopic.php?f=48&t=29381
:thumbsup:
Schrödinger’s Yidam

There has always been room for Mahāyāna teachers to engage in conduct that seems to not conform to lower Buddhist ethics. Of course, some people use this laxity as an excuse to indulge their afflictions. This is not the intention of the situational ethics of Mahāyāna.
viewtopic.php?f=40&t=29395&start=20

Return to “Tibetan Buddhism”