Illuminating Quotes by Malcolm Namdrol-la

Forum for discussion of Tibetan Buddhism. Questions specific to one school are best posted in the appropriate sub-forum.
n8pee

Re: Illuminating Quotes by Malcolm Namdrol-la

Post by n8pee » Thu Apr 11, 2019 3:22 am

Namdrol wrote:
The doctrine of Karma in Buddhism is an aesthetic moral theory. Moral actions garner pleasant results, immoral actions garner unpleasant results. Therefore, all happiness and all suffering is result of one's own moral or immoral acts in this or in past lives.

If you can't accept that, than Buddhism will be a constant source of frustration for you and you will waste a lot of intellectual energy trying to get Buddhism to fit your needs. In the end, you will give up Buddhism. So, it is better perhaps not even to start. One does not need to be a Buddhist to meditate, or be a nice person,or even a profoundly spiritual, compassionate person etc.

If you wish to be free of suffering and its causes, however, then Buddhism is your only solution.

N

Johnny Dangerous
Global Moderator

Post by Johnny Dangerous » Sun Feb 09, 2020 4:02 am

unlocked by request.
"...if you think about how many hours, months and years of your life you've spent looking at things, being fascinated by things that have now passed away, then how wonderful to spend even five minutes looking into the nature of your own mind."

-James Low

tkp67

Post by tkp67 » Sun Feb 09, 2020 2:54 pm

n8pee wrote:
Thu Apr 11, 2019 3:22 am
Namdrol wrote:
The doctrine of Karma in Buddhism is an aesthetic moral theory. Moral actions garner pleasant results, immoral actions garner unpleasant results. Therefore, all happiness and all suffering is result of one's own moral or immoral acts in this or in past lives.

If you can't accept that, than Buddhism will be a constant source of frustration for you and you will waste a lot of intellectual energy trying to get Buddhism to fit your needs. In the end, you will give up Buddhism. So, it is better perhaps not even to start. One does not need to be a Buddhist to meditate, or be a nice person,or even a profoundly spiritual, compassionate person etc.

If you wish to be free of suffering and its causes, however, then Buddhism is your only solution.

N
:good: quite poignant

javier.espinoza.t

Post by javier.espinoza.t » Sun Feb 09, 2020 6:52 pm

n8pee wrote:
Thu Apr 11, 2019 3:22 am
Namdrol wrote:

N
That is wise. Namdrol is Malcolm?

Norwegian

Post by Norwegian » Sun Feb 09, 2020 7:19 pm

javier.espinoza.t wrote:
Sun Feb 09, 2020 6:52 pm
That is wise. Namdrol is Malcolm?
Yes.
"The Guru is the Buddha, the Guru is the Dharma,
The Guru is the Sangha too,
The Guru is Śrī Heruka.
The All-Creating King is the Guru."

-- The Secret Assembly Tantra

smcj

Post by smcj » Mon Feb 10, 2020 5:59 am

Malcolm wrote:
...which Shravaka schools assert that nirvana = absolute extinction/nothingness?
Sautrantikas for one.
https://dharmawheel.net/viewtopic.php? ... 0&start=80
https://soundcloud.com/user-730689343/chenrezig-puja
1.The problem isn’t ‘ignorance’. The problem is the mind you have right now. (H.H. Karmapa XVII @NYC 2/4/18)
2. I support Mingyur R and HHDL in their positions against lama abuse.
3. Student: Lama, I thought I might die but then I realized that the 3 Jewels would protect me.
Lama: Even If you had died the 3 Jewels would still have protected you. (DW post by Fortyeightvows)

smcj

Post by smcj » Mon Feb 10, 2020 5:24 pm

Malcolm wrote:...most of Buddhists are not serious scholars, and only play team sports for the views promulgated as official in their school. This is why I personally abandoned paying too much mind to what Tibetans had to say about madhyamaka, and exclusively rely on what can be discerned in the authentic treatises of the founders of these two systems, madhyamaka and yogacāra, and free of the largely Tibetan historical interpretation of Buddhist doctrine through the lens of the three turnings, a lens entirely neglected by Indian masters.
https://dharmawheel.net/viewtopic.php? ... 40#p519440
1.The problem isn’t ‘ignorance’. The problem is the mind you have right now. (H.H. Karmapa XVII @NYC 2/4/18)
3. Student: Lama, I thought I might die but then I realized that the 3 Jewels would protect me.
Lama: Even If you had died the 3 Jewels would still have protected you. (DW post by Fortyeightvows)

smcj

Post by smcj » Mon Feb 10, 2020 7:03 pm

Malcolm wrote:If you want to understand Madhyamaka, a gounding in Abdhidharma is a little necessary. If you wan to understand emptiness, the heart sutra is sufficient.
viewtopic.php?f=77&t=32922&start=20

Gedun

Post by Gedun » Wed Feb 12, 2020 1:43 am

From "A concise guide to conservatism".
Malcolm wrote:
Thu Jan 02, 2020 7:30 pm
Afflictions and ideals have nothing to do with one another. Ideals are just intellectual concepts. Afflictions are what motivate sentient beings. Of course, the state of being afflicted is able to be transcended individually, but not en masse.
This is wisdom, axiomatic. Distinguish between ideal and affliction help understand many important things. Cut to heart of Mahayana. Check motivation antidote to all affliction.
Last edited by Ayu on Wed Feb 12, 2020 8:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Fixed quote.

smcj

Post by smcj » Thu Mar 12, 2020 2:48 am

Malcolm wrote:For regular people, even positive actions are tainted with afflictions.
viewtopic.php?f=48&t=32864&start=60

Simon E.

Post by Simon E. » Thu Mar 12, 2020 11:34 am

smcj wrote:
Thu Mar 12, 2020 2:48 am
Malcolm wrote:For regular people, even positive actions are tainted with afflictions.
viewtopic.php?f=48&t=32864&start=60
This is one of the most difficult aspects of Dharma to get across. Particularly to New Agers or “hello trees, hello sky” reality deniers.
“The difference between us and Tara is that she knows she doesn’t exist”.

Return to “Tibetan Buddhism”