what to do when you lose heart and motivation in practice

Forum for discussion of Tibetan Buddhism. Questions specific to one school are best posted in the appropriate sub-forum.
seeker242

Re: what to do when you lose heart and motivation in practic

Post by seeker242 » Mon Nov 04, 2013 12:49 pm

KonchokZoepa wrote: where i would be heading for 3 month retreat in january if i get a positive answer that i can come.
I would say that is the answer.
also i would like to hear do people usually encounter this kind of a phase in theyre practice?
Go on retreat. More helpful than anything else I have ever tried, by far. :smile:
One should not kill any living being, nor cause it to be killed, nor should one incite any other to kill. Do never injure any being, whether strong or weak, in this entire universe!

philji

Post by philji » Mon Nov 04, 2013 1:31 pm

When I lose inspiration I read books about the lives of great teachers.. I try to practice something that connects me with the lineage
I make aspiration prayers.

Try to find a teacher ....I think this will help more than anything, as your posts seem to suggest you are jumping from one thing to another.....all his can be discussed with a teacher... Do whatever it takes to be with one that you trust.

dharmagoat

Post by dharmagoat » Mon Nov 04, 2013 1:43 pm

dharmagoat wrote:What use is heart and motivation anyway?
... What use are heart and motivation if they come and go? They are unreliable. Better just to practice. Or not practice.
Last edited by dharmagoat on Mon Nov 04, 2013 2:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

KonchokZoepa

Post by KonchokZoepa » Mon Nov 04, 2013 1:50 pm

it seems that you are forgetting that correct motivation is the root and foundation for all practice.
If the thought of demons
Never rises in your mind,
You need not fear the demon hosts around you.
It is most important to tame your mind within....

In so far as the Ultimate, or the true nature of being is concerned,
there are neither buddhas or demons.
He who frees himself from fear and hope, evil and virtue,
will realize the insubstantial and groundless nature of confusion.
Samsara will then appear as the mahamudra itself….

-Milarepa

OMMANIPADMEHUNG

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ls6P9tOYmdo

dharmagoat

Post by dharmagoat » Mon Nov 04, 2013 1:52 pm

KonchokZoepa wrote:it seems that you are forgetting that correct motivation is the root and foundation for all practice.
Yes, but what really is correct motivation?

dharmagoat

Post by dharmagoat » Mon Nov 04, 2013 2:01 pm

We can agree on this:
KonchokZoepa wrote:... you need to just relax and let go of grasping and clinging. with that comes equanimity. if you are trying to be forceful the only thing your gonna get is frustration on yourself.
Clinging manifests each time we practice because we feel like practicing, and don't practice because we feel like not practicing.

Practicing when we feel unmotivated (or not practicing when we do) does not require force, just a resolve not to be dictated to by our whims.

PadmaVonSamba

Post by PadmaVonSamba » Mon Nov 04, 2013 2:26 pm

dharmagoat wrote:
KonchokZoepa wrote:it seems that you are forgetting that correct motivation is the root and foundation for all practice.
Yes, but what really is correct motivation?
You practice for the benefit of others.
"for the benefit of all sentient beings"
then the whole thing no longer revolves around what you, yourself are getting out of it,
or how it makes you feel.
When this happens, you practice without attachment and
motivation becomes a minor detail.
problem solved.
Profile Picture: "The Fo Ming (Buddha Bright) Monk"
People on web forums sometime seem to be foaming at the mouth.

dharmagoat

Post by dharmagoat » Mon Nov 04, 2013 2:30 pm

Well said. (I forgot about that aspect.)

Grigoris
Former staff member

Post by Grigoris » Mon Nov 04, 2013 2:35 pm

PadmaVonSamba wrote:You practice for the benefit of others.
"for the benefit of all sentient beings"
then the whole thing no longer revolves around what you, yourself are getting out of it,
or how it makes you feel.
When this happens, you practice without attachment and
motivation becomes a minor detail.
problem solved.
:good:
"My religion is not deceiving myself."
Jetsun Milarepa 1052-1135 CE

"Butchers, prostitutes, those guilty of the five most heinous crimes, outcasts, the underprivileged: all are utterly the substance of existence and nothing other than total bliss."
The Supreme Source - The Kunjed Gyalpo
The Fundamental Tantra of Dzogchen Semde

pensum

Post by pensum » Tue Nov 05, 2013 4:36 am

One of the most inspiring things I have ever read is Adeu Rinpoche's autobiography, Freedom in Bondage, in which he recounts his 20+ years in a Chinese prison. The book also includes some of his teachings. Adeu Rinpoche was the real deal and a fine example of the results which can be attained from sticking to practice through thick and thin. http://www.amazon.ca/Freedom-Bondage-Li ... 9627341665

dharmagoat

Post by dharmagoat » Tue Nov 05, 2013 4:47 am

pensum wrote:One of the most inspiring things I have ever read is Adeu Rinpoche's autobiography, Freedom in Bondage, in which he recounts his 20+ years in a Chinese prison. The book also includes some of his teachings. Adeu Rinpoche was the real deal and a fine example of the results which can be attained from sticking to practice through thick and thin. http://www.amazon.ca/Freedom-Bondage-Li ... 9627341665
Admittedly knowing nothing about the conditions, I expect spending 20+ years in a Chinese prison would be very conducive to practice, as there would be very little else to do.

Does Adeu Rinpoche comment on this in his book?

pensum

Post by pensum » Wed Nov 06, 2013 12:00 am

dharmagoat wrote:
pensum wrote:One of the most inspiring things I have ever read is Adeu Rinpoche's autobiography, Freedom in Bondage, in which he recounts his 20+ years in a Chinese prison. The book also includes some of his teachings. Adeu Rinpoche was the real deal and a fine example of the results which can be attained from sticking to practice through thick and thin. http://www.amazon.ca/Freedom-Bondage-Li ... 9627341665
Admittedly knowing nothing about the conditions, I expect spending 20+ years in a Chinese prison would be very conducive to practice, as there would be very little else to do.

Does Adeu Rinpoche comment on this in his book?

You certainly have a romantic view of Chinese prisons, I guess i should have written "prison camp" or "concentration camp", if you are interested you can read a bit about them at http://www.korubo.com/TIBETDOC/palden.htm. In his autobiography Adeu Rinpoche describes at length the litany of horrors and brutality that he both witnessed and suffered: women and children being cut down by machine gun fire, having to break rocks on a chain gain in a quarry, his fellow prisoners being executed along the roadside, being beaten, ridden with lice, starved, people dying from exhaustion and malnutrition, on and on it goes…certainly not what might typically be described as "conducive to practice." And yet, he maintained his practice, and never held any resentment toward the Chinese. A truly remarkable man he was. I can't recommend the book highly enough.

KonchokZoepa

Post by KonchokZoepa » Wed Nov 06, 2013 12:20 am

i actually have the book, i havent just finished it. its only a place where real masters can practice. normal people cant practice in conditions like that.. at least not usually.
If the thought of demons

-Milarepa

OMMANIPADMEHUNG

dharmagoat

Post by dharmagoat » Wed Nov 06, 2013 12:39 am

pensum wrote:You certainly have a romantic view of Chinese prisons, ...
Not any more.

:namaste:

Lhasa

Post by Lhasa » Wed Nov 06, 2013 1:00 am

If you really want something 'to do' to shift things a bit, there are two series of guided meditations at this link. One on 'Tibetan Sound Healing' and the other 'The Fivefold Teachings of Dawa Gyaltsen' by Tenzin Wangyal Rinpoche.
These are guided meditations so you can just follow along. Both of them deal with the things you are going through and how to shift/dissolve them.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wcd4qDuO ... 1BA30077EA

KonchokZoepa

Post by KonchokZoepa » Wed Nov 06, 2013 1:07 am

thanks Lhasa :anjali:
If the thought of demons

-Milarepa

OMMANIPADMEHUNG

pensum

Post by pensum » Wed Nov 06, 2013 1:39 am

Just a thought, and i don't know if you have a Facebook account or not KonchokZoepa but if you do, you may want to like Kyabgön Phakchok Rinpoche's page and pose your question to him there. He is very active on social media and encourages people to send him practice-related questions which he then regularly answers on the page. It's a good opportunity to get some advice directly from a lama who has a very modern and honest approach.

KonchokZoepa

Post by KonchokZoepa » Wed Nov 06, 2013 1:42 am

i dont have a Facebook...
If the thought of demons

-Milarepa

OMMANIPADMEHUNG

pensum

Post by pensum » Wed Nov 06, 2013 3:54 am

KonchokZoepa wrote:i dont have a Facebook...

Wise!

montana

Post by montana » Wed Nov 06, 2013 4:41 am

KonchokZoepa wrote:well the heading gives out the question. any suggestions. i am currently waiting for answer from a forest monastery where i would be heading for 3 month retreat in january if i get a positive answer that i can come.

at the moment I've lost faith in my vajrayana practice, i also can't kindle my usual aspirations and seem pessimistic about the whole vajrayana path at the moment. i want to practice since i dont want to waste time and i want to do more than just satipattana which i like very much and it seems to be very helpful at the moment, but i am a bit sad inside and feeling down and cant rekindle my usual motivation for practice.

should i take it easy for a while and not try to force anything and just be and feel this period through until i get dissatisfied with this dissatisfaction and do naturally something about it? or what would you suggest?

also i would like to hear do people usually encounter this kind of a phase in theyre practice?

also any inspiring and helpful reading material would be greatly appreciated, books preferably. or poems of milarepa or something that rekindles my faith and devotion and dedication to the practice. i have made a life long commitment and im not gonna give it up, im just currently feeling frustrated and dissatisfied with my progress and practice so i dont feel like doing any formal practice, other than some satipattana.

maybe i am drawn to nihilism not as a middle way term but rather that i have lost meaning in my practice and i feel sad that i dont have the access to go to a monastery right now to do intensive meditation retreat.
If you have taken Bodhisattva vows then you have to keep on even if you don't like it anymore. Bodhisattva vows are a promise to all the samsaric and nirvanic beings. The nirvanic beings are urging you to continue and the samsaric beings are begging you. You can't just say, "I give up, you're on your own" after promising so much.

Return to “Tibetan Buddhism”