Tibetan Superstitions

Forum for discussion of Tibetan Buddhism. Questions specific to one school are best posted in the appropriate sub-forum.
Summers

Re: Tibetan Superstitions

Post by Summers » Thu May 31, 2018 8:19 pm

gaelic wrote:
Mon Jan 27, 2014 9:28 pm
- Do tibetans have anything similar to "spirit houses" like in Thailand, Burma, and other places?
Tibetans had (have?) tutelary dieties of the clan, family, etc. they'd make offerings to, and one can assume they had altars for this. I don't know if they still do this.

climb-up

Post by climb-up » Thu May 31, 2018 9:30 pm

In re: "witches"
I think this came up recently, but would these witches be humans that do evil spells and/or work with evil spirits, or would these be supernatural beings that take on the form of humans?
...or something else?

Mantrik

Post by Mantrik » Fri Jun 01, 2018 10:11 am

If you want to be rid of a harmful spirit, you capture it or lure it with offerings and take it to a crossroads.
When they are released at a crossroads, spirits get confused and can't find their way back.
http://www.khyung.com

Om Thathpurushaya Vidhmahe
Suvarna Pakshaya Dheemahe
Thanno Garuda Prachodayath

Micchāmi Dukkaḍaṃ (मिच्छामि दुक्कडम्)

Palzang Jangchub

Post by Palzang Jangchub » Sat Jun 09, 2018 6:28 am

Tsultrim T. wrote:
Mon Jan 27, 2014 11:26 pm
One generally does not wear used clothing, use second hand eating utensils, etc. as it is unclear as to how the previous owners karma would affect you.
This was my experience, too. A younger Tibetan friend of mine offered to take a dorje and bell set with him to get them blessed, but subsequently fell ill. His family insisted that he give them back to me ASAP as the set was owned by someone else before I bought it at one of the TCV shops in McLeod Ganj. They truly believed this was the source of his sickness.

On another trip I was asked by my Tibetan homestay family to take some of their old Dharma cords to Namo Buddha in Nepal. So old clothes and snippets of hair aren't the only things disposed of in such a way to garner more merit!

"The Sutras, Tantras, and Philosophical Scriptures are great in number. However life is short, and intelligence is limited, so it's hard to cover them completely. You may know a lot, but if you don't put it into practice, it's like dying of thirst on the shore of a great lake. Likewise, a common corpse is found in the bed of a great scholar." ~ Karma Chagme

དྲིན་ཆེན་རྩ་བའི་བླ་མ་སྐྱབས་རྗེ་མགར་ཆེན་ཁྲི་སྤྲུལ་རིན་པོ་ཆེ་ཁྱེད་མཁྱེན་ནོ།།
རྗེ་བཙུན་བླ་མ་མཁས་གྲུབ་ཀརྨ་ཆགས་མེད་མཁྱེན་ནོ། ཀརྨ་པ་མཁྱེན་ནོཿ

Return to “Tibetan Buddhism”