Yeti-Bigfoot

Forum for discussion of Tibetan Buddhism. Questions specific to one school are best posted in the appropriate sub-forum.
reddust

Yeti-Bigfoot

Post by reddust » Mon Jan 27, 2014 5:24 am

I know this a silly question. I was wondering what the Tibetans think of their Bigfoot called Yeti?

My daughter and I were talking about Bigfoot and she said she had seen one. Both her and I grew up in the Douglas Fir forests of the Oregon Cascade Range and she said she always felt safe as if Bigfoot were her guardian. As kids they were all over the deep woods behind our farm. I always felt scared, but that's more because I am scared of the dark and the camping in the dark challenged my courage. We went camping a lot in my childhood and my daughters. I took my kids camping and horse back riding because we had a farm up against the Eagle Creek Wilderness area. My daughter and I and the rest of my kids spent a lot of time in the deep woods hiking and riding horses.

I saw one when I was 8 years old, my horse bolted on me as I was riding down to Delph Creek behind our farm. My horse grabbed it's bit and at a dead run headed home. What startled my horse wasn't a bear because bears don't smell that bad. I went back the next day to check the thicket were I saw the black hairy form just to make sure it wasn't a bear eating something dead. Nothing there and my horse wasn't freaking out. All I saw was the back side of something and it could of been a bear. I didn't get a chance to see it clearly.

When I was older, in my early twenties we went camping up the Roaring River in upper Clackamas river area, way up a logging road and set up camp. My husband fell asleep after dinner and I stayed awake. Around midnight big branches started snapping like something was walking on them or tearing them off trees. My husband wouldn't wake up (too much beer), I didn't drink back then so I wasn't drunk. I thought for sure what ever was snapping those branches was going to tear through out little tent. Nothing happened but the next day I found a nice pile of one inch round branches broken off in three inch pieces left in a little pile right in the middle of the trail a couple hundred yards from our tent. We stayed up there for another 3 days, hiking and camping, nothing happened after that. I told my husband about it and he said it was Bigfoot leaving us a gift.
Mind and mental events are concepts, mere postulations within the three realms of samsara Longchenpa .... A link to my Garden, Art and Foodie blog Scratch Living

krodha

Re: Yeti-Bigfoot

Post by krodha » Mon Jan 27, 2014 6:56 am

Namkhai Norbu Rinpoche said that he had a pet yeti, or a yeti that lived nearby he used to feed when he was a young boy.

reddust

Post by reddust » Mon Jan 27, 2014 7:17 am

asunthatneversets wrote:Namkhai Norbu Rinpoche said that he had a pet yeti, or a yeti that lived nearby he used to feed when he was a young boy.
Holy Moly! He was a brave boy! I've met Rinpoche, he is a rock :namaste:

I wonder if they could be protectors? Here in the Northwest people tell stories about them like they are the bogeyman, scary and dark, don't go out in the woods at night or Bigfoot will get you!

I still don't know if they are real or just imagination. They must be really good at hiding, I spent most of my life in the woods. I think when I build my spirit house I will leave offerings for Bigfoot too! I wonder what they would like to eat? My daughter said she always felt they were watching her, making sure she stayed safe. She just told me this today, she is now in her 30s, I had no clue....Growing up on the farm kids roamed around wild and free, no worries. The kids would take off all day and come back when they were hungry. I used to do the same thing when I was a kid, I would pack a lunch and take off all day, mostly by myself on my horse.
Mind and mental events are concepts, mere postulations within the three realms of samsara Longchenpa .... A link to my Garden, Art and Foodie blog Scratch Living

krodha

Post by krodha » Mon Jan 27, 2014 7:54 am

Apparently there's a yeti scalp which is kept in a monastery in Khumjung.

And here's a video of Traktung Yeshe Dorje telling a story about one of Do Khyentse's students encounter with a yeti:

phpBB [video]

pensum

Post by pensum » Mon Jan 27, 2014 11:42 am

Well, thanks to DNA analysis it shouldn't be hard to sort out whether the supposed scalp etc. are from any known species or not. One such study has been done recently http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news ... tozoology/.

Meanwhile, the zoologist in Hillary's own team concluded the Khamjung scalp was made from antelope hide http://www.atlasobscura.com/articles/ob ... yeti-scalp.

reddust

Post by reddust » Mon Jan 27, 2014 8:14 pm

pensum wrote:Well, thanks to DNA analysis it shouldn't be hard to sort out whether the supposed scalp etc. are from any known species or not.
I listen to Coast to Coast am talk radio when I paint and there has been a bunch of genetic testing going on regarding Bigfoot. Most inconclusive so far.
asunthatneversets wrote:Apparently there's a yeti scalp which is kept in a monastery in Khumjung.
Thank you for the video, I will watch it during my lunch. I love these kind of stories. More fun than reading Dharma philosophy and painting difficult subjects, gives my brain a break!

Lhasa

Post by Lhasa » Mon Jan 27, 2014 10:20 pm

If you want to go searching, try I-80 between Omaha and Lincoln,NE near the Greenwood exit. :spy:

dzogchungpa

Post by dzogchungpa » Mon Jan 27, 2014 11:47 pm

I've always been fond of the "yeti yeti" approach to meditation.
There is not only nothingness because there is always, and always can manifest. - Thinley Norbu Rinpoche

krodha

Post by krodha » Tue Jan 28, 2014 1:01 am

It's surprising there aren't more Yeti [gya' dred / mi dred] thangkas. The only one I've seen is displayed at Disney World in the Expedition Everest artifacts they have on display, which could very well be fake but its craftsmanship looks authentic enough.

reddust

Post by reddust » Tue Jan 28, 2014 1:06 am

asunthatneversets wrote:
And here's a video of Traktung Yeshe Dorje telling a story about one of Do Khyentse's students encounter with a yeti:
That was an excellent story and now I know what to do if I ever meet a Bigfoot, "Tea?" :heart: I want to paint a thangka of a Bigfoot. I think they would make great protectors.
Lhasa wrote:If you want to go searching, try I-80 between Omaha and Lincoln,NE near the Greenwood exit. :spy:
Oh stop teasing me, I actually looked on the map :oops:
dzogchungpa wrote:I've always been fond of the "yeti yeti" approach to meditation.
I wonder if you get itchy from all that hair? You almost always make me laugh, totally got that one :D

EDIT: I finished a major painting the other day and after working for months on a project I end up feeling a little blue. I have several paintings going but I always feel like one of my kids moved out. I am thankful they are gone because what a pain in the neck but I still miss them. So stories like this really lift my heart. The Tibetan's have some of the best stories and we both of Bigfoot stories to share. I don't have to go very far to find Bigfoot, they could easily be in my backyard. I think I will start leaving tea and cookies for them, hopefully the raccoons won't find the treats :D
Last edited by reddust on Tue Jan 28, 2014 1:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

Lhasa

Post by Lhasa » Tue Jan 28, 2014 1:14 am

Teasing?? Who me?? Look at a topographical map of that area of the Interstate. There is a place where they cut through some hills and the hills are right up close to the road. A wild and spooky place, especially late at night... :stirthepot: :spy: :shock: .....

reddust

Post by reddust » Tue Jan 28, 2014 1:19 am

Lhasa wrote:Teasing?? Who me?? Look at a topographical map of that area of the Interstate. There is a place where they cut through some hills and the hills are right up close to the road. A wild and spooky place, especially late at night... :stirthepot: :spy: :shock: .....
Let's go this weekend, now I am teasing, I admit i have no sense of direction and my map just showed houses, so you will have to lead the way. I will bring the tea and cookies...hahaha

We can do Chod and dance with the Bigfoots.

Lhasa

Post by Lhasa » Tue Jan 28, 2014 1:26 am

reddust wrote:
Lhasa wrote:Teasing?? Who me?? Look at a topographical map of that area of the Interstate. There is a place where they cut through some hills and the hills are right up close to the road. A wild and spooky place, especially late at night... :stirthepot: :spy: :shock: .....
Let's go this weekend, now I am teasing, I admit i have no sense of direction and my map just showed houses, so you will have to lead the way. I will bring the tea and cookies...hahaha

We can do Chod and dance with the Bigfoots.
If you don't mind one of these moments :jawdrop: :twothumbsup:

Nemo

Post by Nemo » Tue Jan 28, 2014 1:47 pm

There was a Native guy up north from where I am who got some pictures of one. It attracted a lot of attention and many people came to the area.

He really regretted it.

PadmaVonSamba

Post by PadmaVonSamba » Tue Jan 28, 2014 2:32 pm

I had a friend who was able to get into Tibet about 30 years ago, after teaching English In China. While out trekking with some people there, one pointed to a yeti across a gorge. She took a picture, and I saw this picture, but you couldn't really tell from it what it was. Just sort of a reddish shape. maybe it was a yeti wearing lama robes!
Profile Picture: "The Fo Ming (Buddha Bright) Monk"
People on web forums sometime seem to be foaming at the mouth.

pemachophel

Post by pemachophel » Tue Jan 28, 2014 5:05 pm

My Teacher's wife once told me that, when She was doing retreat in the mountains (probably of central Tibet and probably around Gangri Thodkar, but possibly in Sikkim), a yeti came to Her retreat hut and banged on the roof. Afterwards, the yeti brought Her offerings. She said that yetis are spirits who sometimes take the animal/"wild man" (ye-ren in Chinese) form we are all familiar with.

Just repeating what I have been told.

:namaste:
Pema Chophel པདྨ་ཆོས་འཕེལ

reddust

Post by reddust » Tue Jan 28, 2014 6:59 pm

pemachophel wrote: a yeti came to Her retreat hut and banged on the roof. Afterwards, the yeti brought Her offerings. She said that yetis are spirits who sometimes take the animal/"wild man" (ye-ren in Chinese) form we are all familiar with.

Just repeating what I have been told.

:namaste:
I figured these beings maybe able to slip through dimensions and that's how they can disappear so quickly. I love that story, especially leaving offerings and I've been told by my cousins Bigfoot is a spirit being too. They make fun of us and our views of Bigfoot. Depending on the tribe Bigfoot can be dangerous or helpful, but always you must respect them and where they live.
PadmaVonSamba wrote:I had a friend who was able to get into Tibet about 30 years ago, after teaching English In China. While out trekking with some people there, one pointed to a yeti across a gorge. She took a picture, and I saw this picture, but you couldn't really tell from it what it was. Just sort of a reddish shape. maybe it was a yeti wearing lama robes!
On night up on Squaw Mountain, up above Estacada, here in Oregon one of my good friends was 4 wheeling with a friend and one of them had to take a pee. This was back in 1979, his friend went into the bushes to take a pee by the logging road they were on and came running back screaming. He was holding up his pants, not taking the time to button or zip. Ripping open the door of the Scott and jumping into the cab, he screamed, " There is a fracking Bigfoot coming after me!" I guess he had peed on the beings feet or something. My friend took off because he knew Bigfoots and also has a story of ticking one off. I tell that one later.

Lhasa if you are in Oregon near Eugene give send me a note. I'll take you up to Bigfoot areas and we can do Chod. You never know! I haven't had a Bigfoot come and dance with me yet but the invitation has been given and I am waiting. I am sure I would almost faint from fright and really get to meet my fear and cut through it. We can dance a bit and have some tea with Bigfoot.

kirtu
Former staff member

Post by kirtu » Thu Jul 03, 2014 3:54 am

Yeti hair identified as ancestral polar bear

From Forbes:
Samples of hair believed to be from the abominable snowman are actually from an ancestor of the polar bear.

The discovery raises the possibility that stories of an undiscovered giant primate living in the Himalayas may be based on large and aggressive, but reclusive, bears.

Bryan Sykes, a human genetics professor at Oxford University, and Michel Sartori, director of the Lausanne Museum of Zoology, formed the Oxford-Lausanne Collateral Hominid Project to test the stories of ‘anomalous primates’ from around the world.

They and their colleagues analysed 57 samples of hair allegedly from creatures including the Himalayan yeti, sasquatch (Bigfoot) from North America, almasty from Russia, orang pendek from Sumatra, and migyhur from Bhutan, submitting 36 of them to DNA testing.

But, as they report in Proceedings of the Royal Society B, most were from horses, dogs and in one case a human, or were not hair at all.

Two of them, however, closely matched the DNA from a polar bear fossil found on Svalbard, an island in the Russian Arctic, dating back 40,000 years to the Pleistocene period, when much of continental Asia was covered with glaciers.

One of the samples, a golden-brown tuft, came from an animal shot in Ladakh, India, in the 1970s, the other, reddish-brown hair was found in a bamboo forest high in Bhutan described as a migyhur nest.

The hairs are either from a new bear species, a colour variant of polar bears or a hybrid of polar bears and brown bears, the researchers concluded.
OTOH, their Bigfoot sample was ruled out completely. These results are being hailed as a win for cryptozoology.

Kirt
Kirt's Tibetan Translation Notes

"Even if you practice only for an hour a day with faith and inspiration, good qualities will steadily increase. Regular practice makes it easy to transform your mind. From seeing only relative truth, you will eventually reach a profound certainty in the meaning of absolute truth."
Kyabje Dilgo Khyentse Rinpoche.

"Only you can make your mind beautiful."
HH Chetsang Rinpoche

Malcolm

Post by Malcolm » Thu Jul 03, 2014 12:47 pm

kirtu wrote:Yeti hair identified as ancestral polar bear

From Forbes:
Samples of hair believed to be from the abominable snowman are actually from an ancestor of the polar bear.

The discovery raises the possibility that stories of an undiscovered giant primate living in the Himalayas may be based on large and aggressive, but reclusive, bears.

Bryan Sykes, a human genetics professor at Oxford University, and Michel Sartori, director of the Lausanne Museum of Zoology, formed the Oxford-Lausanne Collateral Hominid Project to test the stories of ‘anomalous primates’ from around the world.

They and their colleagues analysed 57 samples of hair allegedly from creatures including the Himalayan yeti, sasquatch (Bigfoot) from North America, almasty from Russia, orang pendek from Sumatra, and migyhur from Bhutan, submitting 36 of them to DNA testing.

But, as they report in Proceedings of the Royal Society B, most were from horses, dogs and in one case a human, or were not hair at all.

Two of them, however, closely matched the DNA from a polar bear fossil found on Svalbard, an island in the Russian Arctic, dating back 40,000 years to the Pleistocene period, when much of continental Asia was covered with glaciers.

One of the samples, a golden-brown tuft, came from an animal shot in Ladakh, India, in the 1970s, the other, reddish-brown hair was found in a bamboo forest high in Bhutan described as a migyhur nest.

The hairs are either from a new bear species, a colour variant of polar bears or a hybrid of polar bears and brown bears, the researchers concluded.
OTOH, their Bigfoot sample was ruled out completely. These results are being hailed as a win for cryptozoology.

Kirt
Yetis are just a kind of alpine brown bear.

Arnoud

Post by Arnoud » Thu Jul 03, 2014 8:22 pm

What do you make of the food bringing stories then?

Return to “Tibetan Buddhism”