Pema Khandro?

Forum for discussion of Tibetan Buddhism. Questions specific to one school are best posted in the appropriate sub-forum.
Locked
User avatar
dzogchungpa
Posts: 6333
Joined: Sat May 28, 2011 10:50 pm

Pema Khandro?

Post by dzogchungpa » Sat Jun 21, 2014 12:14 am

Does anyone know anything about this teacher: https://ngakpa.org/pemakhandro/?
She seems to be based in Berkeley. I've been curious about her for a while. I believe she used
to be called Kali Ma.
There is not only nothingness because there is always, and always can manifest. - Thinley Norbu Rinpoche

Arnoud
Posts: 648
Joined: Sun Jul 18, 2010 7:19 pm

Re: Pema Khandro?

Post by Arnoud » Sat Jun 21, 2014 10:25 am

Actually, she does mention Gyaldak R enthroned her as the incarnation of his teacher's wife.
Last edited by DGA on Sun Jan 11, 2015 12:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: EDITED TO REMOVE A SEXIST COMMENT.

User avatar
Adamantine
Former staff member
Posts: 3752
Joined: Tue Feb 08, 2011 7:09 am
Location: Space is the Place

Re: Pema Khandro?

Post by Adamantine » Sat Jun 21, 2014 11:10 am

Clarence wrote:Actually, she does mention Gyaldak R enthroned her as the incarnation of his teacher's wife.
Ah, I must have been skimming their new revamped site and bio and missed that part, my apologies.
Does anyone know more about Gyaldak Rinpoche?
Usually it is only very high lineage heads who can recognize and enthrone tulkus, or confirm recognitions if a lesser-known entity has a special vision about someone, etc. So at first glance this would seem especially unusual.

The only info I can find about Gyaldrak Rinpoche online is from Pema Khandro's own website. . . :shrug:
Last edited by DGA on Sun Jan 11, 2015 12:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: EDITED TO REMOVE A QUOTED SEXIST COMMENT
Contentment is the ultimate wealth;
Detachment is the final happiness. ~Sri Saraha

Stewart
Posts: 538
Joined: Thu Nov 11, 2010 6:40 pm

Re: Pema Khandro?

Post by Stewart » Sat Jun 21, 2014 12:06 pm

In Gyaldak R's bio it mentions Mingyur Rinpoche, who is my Guru and also in retreat...my close friend lived at Sherab Ling for many years and served as MR's secretary... So I'll put out a few enquiries.

Interesting that he cites Mingyur and Chatral Rinpoches... Two Lamas virtually impossible to ask about it at the moment. Also no bio of Gyaldak anywhere else.

I noticed on her website there is s one day online 'Dzogchen' course for $150!!!

Update: my friend got back to me straight away... Said he'd never heard of a Gyaldak Rinpoche at Sherab Ling and not associated with Mingyur Rinpoche.
s.

Stewart
Posts: 538
Joined: Thu Nov 11, 2010 6:40 pm

Re: Pema Khandro?

Post by Stewart » Sat Jun 21, 2014 12:22 pm

Another 'endorsement' by Gyaldak Rinpoche: http://www.creationofanewdawn.com/about-us
s.

krodha
Posts: 2396
Joined: Mon Nov 28, 2011 10:30 pm

Re: Pema Khandro?

Post by krodha » Sat Jun 21, 2014 3:53 pm

I asked a friend about her who's been around the Berkeley/bay area dharma scene for a long time and all he had to say was; "Yeah, I know who she is and have met her. To be honest, she's ok, however she doesn't show me sh*t." So... there's that statement, in all of its infinite wisdom ha.

User avatar
dzogchungpa
Posts: 6333
Joined: Sat May 28, 2011 10:50 pm

Re: Pema Khandro?

Post by dzogchungpa » Sat Jun 21, 2014 4:14 pm

asunthatneversets wrote:I asked a friend about her who's been around the Berkeley/bay area dharma scene for a long time and all he had to say was; "Yeah, I know who she is and have met her. To be honest, she's ok, however she doesn't show me sh*t." So... there's that statement, in all of its infinite wisdom ha.
I take it he wouldn't recommend her?
There is not only nothingness because there is always, and always can manifest. - Thinley Norbu Rinpoche

User avatar
Grigoris
Global Moderator
Posts: 17129
Joined: Fri May 14, 2010 9:27 pm
Location: Greece

Re: Pema Khandro?

Post by Grigoris » Sat Jun 21, 2014 4:46 pm

After seeing her site and that of "creation of a new dawn" I think the Greek proverb: "Whenever you hear about lots of grapes, bring a small basket" is extremely applicable.
"My religion is not deceiving myself."
Jetsun Milarepa 1052-1135 CE

"Butchers, prostitutes, those guilty of the five most heinous crimes, outcasts, the underprivileged: all are utterly the substance of existence and nothing other than total bliss."
The Supreme Source - The Kunjed Gyalpo
The Fundamental Tantra of Dzogchen Semde

krodha
Posts: 2396
Joined: Mon Nov 28, 2011 10:30 pm

Re: Pema Khandro?

Post by krodha » Sat Jun 21, 2014 6:50 pm

dzogchungpa wrote:I take it he wouldn't recommend her?
Probably not. If you want to make a local connection of that type (Dzogchen etc.), I'd say go with Chaphur Rinpoche in Richmond, CA, or Lama Lena who is back in the area, there's also a lama connected to Chatral Rinpoche in San Mateo I believe (forget his name but can find out), the Nyingma spot in San Jose, Orgyen Dorje Den in Alameda or good old' Dondrub Ling.

Arnoud
Posts: 648
Joined: Sun Jul 18, 2010 7:19 pm

Re: Pema Khandro?

Post by Arnoud » Sat Jun 21, 2014 6:59 pm

There are indeed many good western female practitioners. There are also many charlatans. Just like there many charlatan Rinpoches. Sometimes they find each other and a whole new way of defrauding innocent is born.
So, no disrespect to women. One of my teachers is a woman.
Last edited by DGA on Sun Jan 11, 2015 12:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: EDITED TO REMOVE CLARENCE'S APOLOGY FOR A SEXIST COMMENT, AND EMBEDDED QUOTES &C.

mutsuk
Posts: 589
Joined: Sun Aug 15, 2010 7:35 pm

Re: Pema Khandro?

Post by mutsuk » Sat Jun 21, 2014 7:19 pm

Bravo Clarence! You don't have to apologize. Pema Khandro does a great disservice to all practitioners, males or females. I think it is important to call a spade a spade, especially when fakes like Pema Khandro are here only to play guru and have no qualification at all in guiding others on the path of Dzogchen or Tantras. I could not care less if she's ugly or not, if she's a male or a female, she's a fake and that's enough. It is important newbies are informed about that. The "Aro gter" endorsement is telling in itself. As a female, I feel ashamed when some female posters come here and try to teach you some behavior just because another female faced a lack of respect. Come on...PK totally deserves the way she is portrayed here. Who would follow a Pema Khandro who was called Kali Ma a few years ago ?
Last edited by DGA on Sun Jan 11, 2015 12:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: EDITED TO REMOVE QUOTED SEXIST COMMENTS...

User avatar
Adamantine
Former staff member
Posts: 3752
Joined: Tue Feb 08, 2011 7:09 am
Location: Space is the Place

Re: Pema Khandro?

Post by Adamantine » Sat Jun 21, 2014 9:19 pm

asunthatneversets wrote:
dzogchungpa wrote:I take it he wouldn't recommend her?
Probably not. If you want to make a local connection of that type (Dzogchen etc.), I'd say go with Chaphur Rinpoche in Richmond, CA, or Lama Lena who is back in the area
Yeah if you're looking for a qualified white woman Dzogchen teacher in the Bay Area I'd
definitely lean in the Lama Lena direction. She may not be as outwardly "cute", but that doesn't mean
she's not a Dakini. She struck me as the real deal the couple of times I met her
while she was touring with/translating for Lama Wangdor Rinpoche.
Contentment is the ultimate wealth;
Detachment is the final happiness. ~Sri Saraha

User avatar
dzogchungpa
Posts: 6333
Joined: Sat May 28, 2011 10:50 pm

Re: Pema Khandro?

Post by dzogchungpa » Sat Jun 21, 2014 9:42 pm

Adamantine wrote:
asunthatneversets wrote:
dzogchungpa wrote:I take it he wouldn't recommend her?
Probably not. If you want to make a local connection of that type (Dzogchen etc.), I'd say go with Chaphur Rinpoche in Richmond, CA, or Lama Lena who is back in the area
Yeah if you're looking for a qualified white woman Dzogchen teacher in the Bay Area I'd
definitely lean in the Lama Lena direction. She may not be as outwardly "cute", but that doesn't mean
she's not a Dakini. She struck me as the real deal the couple of times I met her
while she was touring with/translating for Lama Wangdor Rinpoche.
Well the Bay area is certainly not lacking in access to qualified Nyingma lamas, and I'm not really looking for more teachers or practices at the moment, I'm just curious about her.

I'm guessing she is the person quoted in this post: http://www.dharmawheel.net/viewtopic.ph ... 55#p240655.

I found some more about her here: https://web.archive.org/web/20080825234 ... graphy.php.

I also met Lama Lena several times when Lama Wangdor was here, and I was favorably impressed.
There is not only nothingness because there is always, and always can manifest. - Thinley Norbu Rinpoche

krodha
Posts: 2396
Joined: Mon Nov 28, 2011 10:30 pm

Re: Pema Khandro?

Post by krodha » Sat Jun 21, 2014 10:57 pm

I've also enjoyed Lama Lena's teachings the few times I've seen her. Unfortunate that Lama Wangdor doesn't travel anymore, to the U.S. I mean, he is quite incredible.

User avatar
dzogchungpa
Posts: 6333
Joined: Sat May 28, 2011 10:50 pm

Re: Pema Khandro?

Post by dzogchungpa » Sun Jun 22, 2014 1:19 am

phpBB [video]
There is not only nothingness because there is always, and always can manifest. - Thinley Norbu Rinpoche

User avatar
Adamantine
Former staff member
Posts: 3752
Joined: Tue Feb 08, 2011 7:09 am
Location: Space is the Place

Re: Pema Khandro?

Post by Adamantine » Sun Jun 22, 2014 1:28 am

dzogchungpa wrote:
I'm guessing she is the person quoted in this post: http://www.dharmawheel.net/viewtopic.ph ... 55#p240655.
.
No I am quite sure that is just another woman who was given that name, -not an uncommon refuge name for a woman. I don't believe this Kali Ma / Pema Khandro has ever been associated with Pema Osel Ling / Lama Tharchin in any way, so that's a good indicator it's not the same person.
Contentment is the ultimate wealth;
Detachment is the final happiness. ~Sri Saraha

User avatar
Adamantine
Former staff member
Posts: 3752
Joined: Tue Feb 08, 2011 7:09 am
Location: Space is the Place

Re: Pema Khandro?

Post by Adamantine » Sun Jun 22, 2014 1:30 am

asunthatneversets wrote: Unfortunate that Lama Wangdor doesn't travel anymore, to the U.S. I mean, he is quite incredible.
Yup, totally agreed on both counts. Guess we'll have to visit Tso Pema. It's been on my destination list for some years anyway. . .
Contentment is the ultimate wealth;
Detachment is the final happiness. ~Sri Saraha

User avatar
Adamantine
Former staff member
Posts: 3752
Joined: Tue Feb 08, 2011 7:09 am
Location: Space is the Place

Re: Pema Khandro?

Post by Adamantine » Sun Jun 22, 2014 1:52 am

Stewart wrote:
Adamantine wrote:
dzogchungpa wrote:
I'm guessing she is the person quoted in this post: http://www.dharmawheel.net/viewtopic.ph ... 55#p240655.
.
No I am quite sure that is just another woman who was given that name, -not an uncommon refuge name for a woman. I don't believe this Kali Ma / Pema Khandro has ever been associated with Pema Osel Ling / Lama Tharchin in any way, so that's a good indicator it's not the same person.
Well that's not strictly accurate...here she is with the Aro Ter guy and Lama Tharchin Rinpoche in Pema Osel Ling in 2011

Oh wow, I had no idea. I'd known Aro Ter folks had been friends with Lama Tharchin years back but didn't know they continued to visit, etc. Shows what I know. That said, I think that account in question is from years back (not only does it reference Thinley Norbu R while he was still alive, but I recall reading it years back too) and likely precedes Kali Ma / Troma Rinpoche's name change to Pema Khandro.

But I could be wrong (that should be my signature! :tongue: )
Contentment is the ultimate wealth;
Detachment is the final happiness. ~Sri Saraha

Thubten Zhiwa
Posts: 1
Joined: Wed Aug 20, 2014 7:35 pm

Re: Pema Khandro?

Post by Thubten Zhiwa » Wed Aug 20, 2014 8:01 pm

As a long time dharma practitioner, I find this discussion rather distressing, as it seems petty and based largely on ignorance and innuendo. I've studied and done regular retreats for 15 years with well qualified teachers, including my root teacher Ven. Thubten Chodron, as well as H.H. Dalai Lama, Kenshur Geshe Wangdak, Ven. Robina, Anam Thubten, H.E. Jetsun Khandro Rinpoche, and many more. I've been in the Bay Area for the last 2 years studying East/West Psychology at CIIS, and enjoying the rich dharma opportunities in this area. I am always skeptical about new teachers, but judge them for myself based on the content of their teachings, how they carry themselves, and the quality of their students. I've been attending teachings by Pema Khandro Rinpoche as well as H.E. Gyaldak Rinpoche during this 2 year period, and all I have ever heard or seen from them is pure dharma and loving presence. I understand the intention behind this web site, but it seems to me that there are a lot of unskillful comments by Buddhist practitioners who are oblivious to the potential karmic consequences of casting aspersions on bodhisattvas. Until you know a teacher is not a bodhisattva, it is best to be careful what you say. And sexist comments based entirely on ignorant speculation should never be tolerated. Who moderates this? It is fine to be skeptical, as Buddhists we're encouraged to be skeptical, but I notice not a single reference to any of her teachings, samples of which are freely available on line. This is rumor mongering, petty, and not reflective of Buddhist ethics. Rinpoche just held a fundraiser here in Berkeley for Tibetan children education, and I wonder how much it might have suffered because of this pettiness. If you are going to run a web site like this, you have a special obligation to ensure that it is based upon right speech. You have obviously failed in that regard.

DGA
Former staff member
Posts: 9258
Joined: Tue Jul 13, 2010 5:04 pm
Contact:

Re: Pema Khandro?

Post by DGA » Wed Aug 20, 2014 8:06 pm

Hi Thubten Zhiwa,

Please review our Terms of Service at the link below.

http://dharmawheel.net/viewforum.php?f=109" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

it describes procedures for how to report posts to the moderators for review, and our rules for what is permissible speech on this website.

Locked

Return to “Tibetan Buddhism”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Adamantine, bluegaruda, buddhagirl, dharmafootsteps, Gatinho, Norwegian, PemaSherab and 81 guests