Making a Pureland

Forum for discussion of Tibetan Buddhism. Questions specific to one school are best posted in the appropriate sub-forum.
Motova

Making a Pureland

Post by Motova » Wed Oct 08, 2014 9:44 pm

How is a Pureland made? Does one need to be a Bodhisattva to make the aspiration? If so, at what level does the Bodhisattva have to be at?

How accessible can one make it? For example, for some Purelands one needs to be at a certain level of realization whereas for Amitabha's Pureland one doesn't need to be realized. Could one make a Pureland that everyone is born in once they die regardless of their karma, thus completely emptying samsara?

What characteristics can't a Pureland have? Can beings have sex in Purelands?

If you were to make the ideal Pureland, what characteristics would you include?

Is the aspiration of making a Pureland contradictory to Dzogchen or any path or practice?
Malcolm wrote:
Fri Jan 24, 2014 3:58 pm
The four means of converting beings to the Dharma are generosity (which itself as four aspects: giving material gifts, conferring fearlessness, loving kindness and teaching Dharma), pleasant speech, conduct and setting an example.

Odsal

Re: Making a Pureland

Post by Odsal » Wed Oct 08, 2014 10:21 pm

Motova wrote:How is a Pureland made? Does one need to be a Bodhisattva to make the aspiration? If so, at what level does the Bodhisattva have to be at?

How accessible can one make it? For example, for some Purelands one needs to be at a certain level of realization whereas for Amitabha's Pureland one doesn't need to be realized. Could one make a Pureland that everyone is born in once they die regardless of their karma, thus completely emptying samsara?

What characteristics can't a Pureland have? Can beings have sex in Purelands?

If you were to make the ideal Pureland, what characteristics would you include?

Is the aspiration of making a Pureland contradictory to Dzogchen or any path or practice?
I don't know for sure, but what I think is that purelands are natural expressions of a Buddhas wisdom and compassion. I imagine that all Buddhas manifest a pureland just as naturally as the sun shines light.
I don't think that there could be a pureland where everybody is born into automatically. My view is that the Buddhas are always present extending their compassion to all sentient beings in equal measure.
The extent to which a sentient being can be benefited by the Buddhas is equal the extent of his devotion and desire to realize enlightenment for benefit of all beings. The Buddhas are extending their hands to help us, but we have to grab on.

Bakmoon

Post by Bakmoon » Wed Oct 08, 2014 11:33 pm

Motova wrote:Could one make a Pureland that everyone is born in once they die regardless of their karma, thus completely emptying samsara?
I don't think that is possible simply due to the fact that if it were possible, the Buddhas in their perfect compassion would have certainly manifested such purelands already, but here we all are in samsara.

Motova

Post by Motova » Wed Oct 08, 2014 11:55 pm

Bakmoon wrote:
Motova wrote:Could one make a Pureland that everyone is born in once they die regardless of their karma, thus completely emptying samsara?
I don't think that is possible simply due to the fact that if it were possible, the Buddhas in their perfect compassion would have certainly manifested such purelands already, but here we all are in samsara.
That makes sense. So if that's not possible, how easy can it possibly be to enter a pureland?
Malcolm wrote:
The four means of converting beings to the Dharma are generosity (which itself as four aspects: giving material gifts, conferring fearlessness, loving kindness and teaching Dharma), pleasant speech, conduct and setting an example.

Monlam Tharchin

Post by Monlam Tharchin » Thu Oct 09, 2014 12:00 am

Depends on your school and practice.
According to some, it's very easy indeed.

Motova

Post by Motova » Thu Oct 09, 2014 12:03 am

duckfiasco wrote:Depends on your school and practice.
According to some, it's very easy indeed.
Could you elaborate please?

I did post this in Tibetan Buddhism. So I'm looking for answers in the context of Vajrayana.
Malcolm wrote:

Return to “Tibetan Buddhism”