Why is Oral Sex Considered Sexual Misconduct?

Forum for discussion of Tibetan Buddhism. Questions specific to one school are best posted in the appropriate sub-forum.
Motova

Post by Motova »

:popcorn:
To become a rain man one must master the ten virtues and sciences.
Loren

Re: Why is Oral Sex Considered Sexual Misconduct?

Post by Loren »

Motova wrote:Why is Oral Sex Considered Sexual Misconduct?

:popcorn:
I've often wondered this. Think it has something to do with the channels, drops, the fluids etc. Why is it?
Thank You and Ok!

aka Lorem
Mkoll

Post by Mkoll »

Is it really sexual misconduct if it's in between two consenting and independent adults? Which tradition is this a rule in?
Namo tassa bhagavato arahato samma sambuddhassa
WuMing

Post by WuMing »

I think all of the Tibetan Buddhist schools regard oral and anal sex as inappropriate. This goes back to the Indian Buddhist tradition, e.g. the Abhidharmakosha (not entirely sure anymore about that text), or Ashvaghosha and Atisha. In Tibet one finds it in Gampopa's Jewel Ornament of Liberation which is the Kagyu tradition. In Patrul Rinpoche's book Words of my perfect teacher one can find it as well (Nyingma).

The reason might be that having sex using these inappropriate body parts (mouth or the anus) can only come from desire.
Life is great and death has to be just as great as life.
- Mike Tyson
People not only don't know what's happening to them, they don't even know that they don't know.
- Noam Chomsky
Mkoll

Post by Mkoll »

WuMing wrote:I think all of the Tibetan Buddhist schools regard oral and anal sex as inappropriate. This goes back to the Indian Buddhist tradition, e.g. the Abhidharmakosha (not entirely sure anymore about that text), or Ashvaghosha and Atisha. In Tibet one finds it in Gampopa's Jewel Ornament of Liberation which is the Kagyu tradition. In Patrul Rinpoche's book Words of my perfect teacher one can find it as well (Nyingma).

The reason might be that having sex using these inappropriate body parts (mouth or the anus) can only come from desire.
Thanks for the information.

:thanks:
dzogchungpa

Post by dzogchungpa »

Personally, I consider it the very opposite of sexual misconduct.
There is not only nothingness because there is always, and always can manifest. - Thinley Norbu Rinpoche
Motova

Post by Motova »

dzogchungpa wrote:Personally, I consider it the very opposite of sexual misconduct.
Could you please elaborate?
To become a rain man one must master the ten virtues and sciences.
WuMing

Post by WuMing »

Really? How do you come to that? Would you please explain that?
- Mike Tyson
People not only don't know what's happening to them, they don't even know that they don't know.
- Noam Chomsky
dzogchungpa

Post by dzogchungpa »

WuMing wrote:How do you come to that?
Kind of a personal question, don't you think?
There is not only nothingness because there is always, and always can manifest. - Thinley Norbu Rinpoche
WuMing

Post by WuMing »

Why then you mentioned it in the first place?
- Mike Tyson
- Noam Chomsky
Saoshun

Post by Saoshun »

I don't know how it is in buddhism but in taoism women used oral sex as mean to gather ching-qi because oral sex sucking your energy downward and totally, but regular sex actually push your energy upward so that why oral sex is consider as taboo because it's can be harmful for spiritual cultivation if he cultivate his body too or channels/chakras etc.
Jeff

Post by Jeff »

In male - female "standard" sex a natural energy loop is created. This male-female energy loop can have very powerful purification effects when the heart is open.

Best wishes.
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

WuMing wrote:I think all of the Tibetan Buddhist schools regard oral and anal sex as inappropriate. This goes back to the Indian Buddhist tradition, e.g. the Abhidharmakosha (not entirely sure anymore about that text), or Ashvaghosha and Atisha. In Tibet one finds it in Gampopa's Jewel Ornament of Liberation which is the Kagyu tradition. In Patrul Rinpoche's book Words of my perfect teacher one can find it as well (Nyingma).

I think it has more to do with hygiene. Tulku Urgyen was once heard to remark "Why would anyone want to put their mouth there?"
Grigoris
Former staff member

Post by Grigoris »

Malcolm wrote:I think it has more to do with hygiene. Tulku Urgyen was once heard to remark "Why would anyone want to put their mouth there?"
Combine that with the prevailing hygiene standards around the time these rules were written and you start to get an idea of why it might not have been (or is, in many cases) such a good idea.
"My religion is not deceiving myself."
Jetsun Milarepa 1052-1135 CE

"Butchers, prostitutes, those guilty of the five most heinous crimes, outcasts, the underprivileged: all are utterly the substance of existence and nothing other than total bliss."
The Supreme Source - The Kunjed Gyalpo
The Fundamental Tantra of Dzogchen Semde
dzogchungpa

Post by dzogchungpa »

WuMing wrote:Why then you mentioned it in the first place?
Nevermind.

Is French kissing sexual misconduct?
Rakz

Post by Rakz »

guess im canceling my membership with team salad
Losal Samten

Post by Losal Samten »

dzogchungpa wrote:Personally, I consider it the very opposite of sexual misconduct.
Giving pleasure so-called 'selflessly' is actually a fallacy here; you're only giving dukha, ignorantly.

Per Berzin:
And so, if we look at the teachings of the Kalachakra Tantra, it explains that sexual behavior and the way to orgasm increases your desire and attachment. You want to have that orgasm. And when you have the orgasm and it’s finished, then you have anger because it’s gone, you don’t want it to be gone. And then after that you sink into a state of naivety because you get completely dull. So, this is what is says in the text and probably if we examine ourselves honestly, that’s what happens.

We know that according to the teachings not everyone has to be a monk or a nun in order to achieve liberation and enlightenment. We can also be a householder. So what does a householder mean? A householder means someone with a wife or a husband and children and a house. It doesn’t mean somebody that is sexually active. So, at some point, if we really want to achieve liberation we’re going to have to stop all sexual behavior. Those are the facts.

Now, most of us are certainly not ready to be at that stage where we give up all sexual behavior. But let’s not fool ourselves: Buddhism is not filled with romantic ideas of how wonderful sex is and giving happiness to somebody else. That is not what Buddhism says, sorry. Buddhism would classify that as incorrect consideration: considering suffering as happiness. Because with sexual behavior toward somebody else, we are trying to make that person happy but that is the second type of suffering, the ordinary happiness that will go away, it won’t last, and will just cause their disturbing emotions to increase.
http://www.berzinarchives.com/web/en/ar ... cript.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Lacking mindfulness, we commit every wrong. - Nyoshul Khen Rinpoche
འ༔ ཨ༔ ཧ༔ ཤ༔ ས༔ མ༔
ཨོཾ་ཧ་ནུ་པྷ་ཤ་བྷ་ར་ཧེ་ཡེ་སྭཱ་ཧཱ།།
ཨཱོཾ་མ་ཏྲི་མུ་ཡེ་སལེ་འདུ།།
Grigoris
Former staff member

Post by Grigoris »

Mother's Lap wrote:Giving pleasure so-called 'selflessly' is actually a fallacy here; you're only giving dukha, ignorantly.
Fallacy, tee-hee-hee, snigger, snigger. No pun intended I guess? :tongue:
"My religion is not deceiving myself."
Jetsun Milarepa 1052-1135 CE

"Butchers, prostitutes, those guilty of the five most heinous crimes, outcasts, the underprivileged: all are utterly the substance of existence and nothing other than total bliss."
The Supreme Source - The Kunjed Gyalpo
The Fundamental Tantra of Dzogchen Semde
Loren

Post by Loren »

http://www.berzinarchives.com/web/en/ar ... cript.html
And in one Indian commentary to this text, it explains that having sex with a pregnant woman is inappropriate because it causes harm to the baby inside her womb
off topic but that is not what the ob/gyn and midwife told us.
Thank You and Ok!

aka Lorem
Konchog1

Post by Konchog1 »

Because if you engage in oral intercourse then your lust is so great that regular intercourse is not enough for you.
Equanimity is the ground. Love is the moisture. Compassion is the seed. Bodhicitta is the result.

-Paraphrase of Khensur Rinpoche Lobsang Tsephel citing the Guhyasamaja Tantra

"All memories and thoughts are the union of emptiness and knowing, the Mind.
Without attachment, self-liberating, like a snake in a knot.
Through the qualities of meditating in that way,
Mental obscurations are purified and the dharmakaya is attained."

-Ra Lotsawa, All-pervading Melodious Drumbeats

Return to “Tibetan Buddhism”